2008 Election: House of Representatives Results

PDA

Anthony
November 18, 2008, 01:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

Although everyone here in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area seems to be buying every gun in sight, I think we may be missing the silver lining here. After the November, 2006 midterm elections, Wayne LaPierre stated in the WSJ that even though the Democrats had taken control of the House of Representatives that we still had a pro gun majority due to the fact that most if not all of the new Democratic representatives were pro gun.

In looking at summaries of the 2008 Elections and the new Democratic representatives, I have noticed the same trend in every case I have reviewed.

Can anyone point me toward a full listing of the newly elected representatives for the House of Representatives?

I'd like to do a detailed tabulation as I truly believe we still have the same pro gun majority in the House that can keep Obama at bay for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "2008 Election: House of Representatives Results" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HK G3
November 18, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm unsure. While I agree that the majority of the house is pro-gun on paper, I feel it remains to be seen how they will react when the party-hardliners start pushing them to pass anti-gun legislation which they will be selling as "common-sense" safety measures to protect LEOs and the public at large.

Old Fuff
November 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
Anthony has a good point. Not every Democrat is a San Francisco liberal when it comes to firearms issues. For example, recently a bill was brought up in the House that if passed would have stripped Washington D.C.'s authority to regulate guns. The Democrat's left-wing leadership was dead set againist it, and on a straight party vs. party vote it would have lost.

But it was passed by a substantial majority when 45 southern and western Democrats voted with the Republicans to pass it.

In the future both the White House and House leadership will try to whip these representatives into line. But the bottom line is that gun control is not popular in they're districts, and if they vote the "wrong way" they could lose their seats in the 2010 election. If the president and House leadership want to they can push and shove - but they'll be risking another election like 1994, when the party lost control of both the House and Senate, largely because of gun control issues.

So it remains to be seen what happens.

Anthony
November 19, 2008, 12:31 AM
I agree with your points Old Fluff...thank you for seeing my point though. As always though, much remains to be seen.

If you enjoyed reading about "2008 Election: House of Representatives Results" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!