Would you pay to have your gun cleaned?

PDA

BUGUDY
November 18, 2008, 08:31 AM
OK, so probably nobody on this site would, but, I am out of work and looking for a way to make some cash. Actually my gunsmith gave me the idea.
So gun cleaning and minor repair, what do you think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you pay to have your gun cleaned?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Just One Shot
November 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
The short answer is..........NO!

If you can't clean your own gun you shouldn't even own one. For me, part of the fun of gun ownership is knowing how it works and taking it apart.

j1979
November 18, 2008, 09:38 AM
Yea, I suppose you could. I myself would never let anyone do it for me, but there are alot of lazy people out there. I say give it a whirl.

6_gunner
November 18, 2008, 09:40 AM
No. Even if I didn't want to clean my own guns, I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking them to someone for cleaning, and then going back to pick them up. That would be much more of a hassle than it would be to clean them myself.

I think somebody proposed this idea before, and it got a similar response.

fgr39
November 18, 2008, 09:57 AM
I have thought about doing this also. I have seen places that offered it as a service. What kind of rates would you charge? Where do you draw the line from minor repair to it needs a gunsmith? Also, would insurance be needed to cover you just incase? I like the idea, I'm sure some people would be willing to pay for the service but the liability part always keep me from really persuing it.

jackstinson
November 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
Sorry, no, I personally would not pay someone to clean my guns.
I enjoy cleaning my guns. I also use the process to inspect components for wear and/or damage.
Good luck in your endeavor though!

wyocarp
November 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
If you can't clean your own gun you shouldn't even own one. For me, part of the fun of gun ownership is knowing how it works and taking it apart.

For me, the fun is in the shooting, not the cleaning. But I am pretty particular with my guns and would want to know exactly how you would clean them and probably wouldn't be interested in light gunsmithing.

I think there would be an interest, much like laundry services. It isn't that one can't, it's that they would rather not.

OOOXOOO
November 18, 2008, 10:21 AM
No, in addition to cleaning I check parts for wear and breakage. This is a task I leave to myself.

grimjaw
November 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
If I was extremely allergic to one of the common cleaning chemicals and I couldn't find a substitute cleaner, I might then. Otherwise, no.

jm

TexasRifleman
November 18, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have paid to have more expensive guns cleaned but I wouldn't trust it to just anyone. I have a SxS shotgun that needed a good takedown and I wasn't gonna do it myself.

But for everyday cleaning after shooting, nah.

expvideo
November 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
I love cleaning my guns after the range. It's almost like meditation. It's very relaxing, IMO.

But then again, I'm talking about 1-2 guns. If I went out and shot 15 guns in one day, I would dread cleaning them all.

jpatterson
November 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe if I had a gun like in that thread "the perpetual fountain of crud" and the service offered a 100% clean guarantee or your money back. But only in that scenario. I enjoy cleaning my guns, it's as much a part of the routine as shooting them is.

The Bushmaster
November 18, 2008, 11:05 AM
NO....

Coyote3855
November 18, 2008, 11:05 AM
No, but I might pay someone to put it back together after I disassembled it for cleaning.

Coronach
November 18, 2008, 11:14 AM
No.

As mentioned prior, the inspection I do while having the gun disassembled is a key part of maintaining the gun.

Mike

jwr747
November 18, 2008, 12:30 PM
if I'm not mistaken,a FFL would be required to clean weapons.no difference to the BATFE in gunsmith or gun cleaner. jwr

expvideo
November 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
if I'm not mistaken,a FFL would be required to clean weapons.no difference to the BATFE in gunsmith or gun cleaner. jwr

Only if it's being mailed.

zminer
November 18, 2008, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't pay anyone to clean my guns, but I only have three of them and they're not a big deal to clean. You might be able to get some business now and then out of getting guns ready for auction, or helping people clean cosmoline off of surplus guns, or something. But I'd recommend checking your local business laws - you might need insurance if you are officially a business, but it may have something to do with how much you earn, or something like that.

marktx
November 18, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yes, I would love it if there were a local gun cleaning service. In my mind it's not any different than running a car through a car wash, hiring a lawn care service, eating out, etc. I would rather spend my time doing other things. As it is the only time I clean a gun is after shooting corrosive ammo which is a rare occurrence as i would rather pay a bit more for new stuff just so I don't have to worry about it.

The Bushmaster
November 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
Like several above have stated. When I clean , also, inspect and insure that the weapon is reassembled correctly. I would have a bit of a problem trusting some one to clean my weapons and get them back still working...I have trust in my inspection & assembly and not some one else's.

biggiesmalls
November 18, 2008, 01:49 PM
i clean my own guns, BUT

i have, in the past, sent off a few pistols to be cleaned by the ultrasound or whatever thing that some smiths use. also, it would depend on how much i value my time. if a kid wants $5 to clean my ruger mk2 or mk3, then hell yea he can do it. those things are a b*tch and a half to clean. most of the time i just cheat with gun scrubber and call it a day, haha.

**confessions of an ignorant, lazy bum**

Hawk
November 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
Yes.

I have. I brought mine in because the L.C. Smith take down manual I bought online appeared to have been translated (poorly) from Klingon.

There's no doubt a number of hunters that would pay to have relatively straightforward stuff cleaned because they don't want to be bothered with it but when I was dropping mine off there was a pile of stuff that I wouldn't try to detail clean on a bet.

On the brighter side, the fee for detail cleaning a sidelock double is in the neighborhood of 125.00 where I go.

There's probably a rule of life somewhere that when you solicit cleaning you'll get the stuff some folks know better than to try themselves.

yeti
November 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
I have paid my nephew to clean them after a range session, but I usually end up doing just as much work, putting in just as much effort, making as much of a mess...but now he is getting to the point I'll be able to let him go clean them on his own, guess I'll need to start charging him for the cost of my ammo he's burning, gotts ta get my money back somehow!

But no, other than that, I'll do it myself.

buckthedog
November 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
If it were a very competent gunsmith I would love to have a full strip and clean done from time to time for a reasonable price
I would not just trust anyone though

and by full strip I mean everything that can be removed would be removed and cleaned

jr45
November 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
I had once when I was in the Army. After a field exercise, we could not leave/head home until our weapons were cleaned. Our armor charged me (and another 15+/- soldiers) $40.00 each and he would clean them for us. When you are tired, dirty, and dying to get home, that is a really good deal.

PILMAN
November 18, 2008, 03:02 PM
Someone jacked my cleaning kit and we went over to my friends roommates house, guy cleaned my guns for free so heck i didn't mind it. Sometimes cleaning can be a pain but I realize it's no different than taking car of yourself in the real world.

texaspunk
November 18, 2008, 03:06 PM
Prob not for me. Cleaning is sort of my meditation and private time...hard to think of someone else doing that for me. I only have a few firearms but I bet there's more of a demand among folks that have dozens and want them maintained in working order. Good Luck!

HDon
November 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
You might have to deal with someone that (rightly or not) thinks for some reason the gun now acts differently or sees a scratch that he says wasn't there before.

Grizfire
November 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
You could see if local ranges wanted to have you clean their rentals??

mljdeckard
November 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
I have a friend who's a gunsmith, who gets most of his business off of owners who don't do their own cleaning. They need heavy cleaning, and like you say, small repairs.

There have been times when I have cleaned my dad's rifles, and they were so bad, I considered taking them out to a pro. (He believes in cleaning them once after eack war.) But he's got a Ruger Mk 1 that is out of service for want of a $3 part, and he's been getting around to it for 10 years. HE would NEVER pay.

adam_oz
November 18, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think it could work. In the outdoor store i used to work in they did cleaning and small repairs. It worked well for them. You just have to know when to tell them to go to a gunsmith.

Neo-Luddite
November 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
No--for me personally it would be poor form--like letting someone else shine your boots.

From a liability standpoint, I would NOT want to get into cleaning other folks hardware.

ilbob
November 18, 2008, 05:27 PM
A lot of gunsmiths make a fair amount of their money cleaning guns. A lot of hunters just won't clean their own guns, so they bring them in before hunting season for a cleaning and checkup.

I was surprised when a gunsmith told me this, but he explained these are guys who will buy a $3000 gun to shoot a few geese once a year. Money is just not an issue with them.

KBintheSLC
November 18, 2008, 05:30 PM
Not on a small scale... IE I would never pay someone to clean my personal guns.
On a large scale... like for a private security firm or a LE agency it makes more sense.

Savage Shooter
November 18, 2008, 05:34 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....no
I wish people would pay me to clean their guns I love to clean guns I think it's cool to learn how to take them apart and put them back together.

Bailey Boat
November 18, 2008, 05:45 PM
I shot you a PM with an idea I had several years ago.... Hope it helps....

moxie
November 18, 2008, 05:56 PM
Not me. But there could be quite a few people out there who have a gun for self defense, fire it once a year or so, and who would love to have someone clean the gun for them. These folks are not mechanical, are not "into" guns at all, really don't know how and don't care to learn. Post an ad at your local gun shops and pawn shops. Many people don't like to get dirty. Heck, when I was in college I kept in beer money by shining shoes for guys too lazy or proud to shine their own. Go for it!

MisterPX
November 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
I would pay, but you'd also be earning your money. ;)

f4t9r
November 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
Someone I trusted for a reasonable price. I would do it.

possum
November 18, 2008, 08:07 PM
people get way to deep into cleaning their guns, a good cleaning on a handgun should take no more than 5 minutes, for general use that is. a rifle like an ak and an ar, no more than 10 minutes.

put it like this at work today we went to the range. there were 6 m4's that we took out. it took me 12 minutes to clean 2 of the rifles, each had approx 400rds through them.( i timed it to make a point to the privates) the privates were cleaning for about 30 minutes, they went to turn em in and they got kicked backed for not being clean. Mine went right on in and looked beautiful if i may say so myself!:)

alot of people spend undo time on parts of the gun that don't matter.

i tell my soldiers this, when in garrison make them beautiful inside and out, especially on the outside, because that is what they are gonna look at and if the outside looks good then they aren't gonna worry with the inside. however if we are in the field or deployed, the inside is what matters, and as long as it is clean enough that they could fire a whole combat load + without faliure due to the weapon being filthy then i am happy.

SoCalShooter
November 18, 2008, 10:23 PM
I and I alone clean my babies.

22-rimfire
November 18, 2008, 10:46 PM
I would pay to have a firearm really cleaned. I'm thinking of an old Mossberg semi 22 that I have. It needs some TLC also beyond cleaning and some parts may need to be replaced. I've completely torn the thing apart in the past, I just don't feel like doing it.

JoeSlomo
November 18, 2008, 11:33 PM
No.

Never.

HB
November 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
I just did... Took my Browning BPS down to their service facility and they completely took it down (as in every single part) replaced any worn parts, cleaned it and put it back together. This is the first time I have done this but it really needed to be done, mostly because the manual says not to take it down past removing the barrel :rolleyes: The gun has had about 8,000 rounds through it and many wet hunts so I figuered why not!

HB

Highland Ranger
November 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
Ahhh, Hoppes and the smell of a fine Dominican cigar - PERFECT TOGETHER!

(that's a no)

Mannlicher
November 19, 2008, 08:47 AM
Good grief. Just think of the liability if ANYTHING went wrong later eith the customer's gun. Mis fire, accidental discharge, you name it..........YOU will be blamed.

Frog48
November 19, 2008, 01:11 PM
Theres a local gunsmith that has a sign on the counter advertising gun cleaning for $40. I've often wondered why someone would hire it done. But apparently there are plenty of folks that do, to justify that sign in his shop.

7.62X25mm
November 19, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'd never trust someone else to take my gun apart. I barely allow others to shoot it.

You want to make some $$$ . . .

Clean out gutters, sweep roofs, hang Christmas lights.

Darkness
November 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
My local range has a sonic cleaner that I have been tempted to try out, just to see how well it cleans. They charge $10 for the service, and will do it while you window shop their stuff. There have been more than a few times that I leave the range, want to do some handgun window shopping and thought about letting them run my semi-auto through the cleaner while I wandered. Haven't done it, mostly because I don't mind cleaning the thing, since I would already be cleaning the revolver, so the $10 tag is very tempting, but has not pushed me over the edge yet.

RKBABob
November 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
NO!
Unless its a longer rifle (lots of stinky solvent... eewww!),
or just a real pain in the sitter to disassemble,
or if a revolver needed its sideplate off to scrub the guts,
then I'd definately say
MAYBE?

MaterDei
November 19, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'd pay somebody to clean a surplus rifle covered with cosmoline or to have a much shot filthy gun thoroughly detail stripped and cleaned from time to time but I wouldn't pay for a field strip type of cleaning.

win71
November 19, 2008, 02:40 PM
As mentioned prior, the inspection I do while having the gun disassembled is a key part of maintaining the gun.
However, unless you really know what you're doing don't ever, I repeat, don't ever completely disassemble a Parker Shotgun. Unless of course you like several dozen parts laying on your coffee table for about a week. That's the only firearm I have that goes to the gunsmith once about every 5 seasons for a lube and oil change.

taliv
November 19, 2008, 03:05 PM
i frequently pay someone else to clean my guns, but i'm particular about how they're oiled and i like to inspect parts so i put them back together once the pieces are clean.

that said, most of my guns don't get cleaned more than 2x / year

JDoe
November 19, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'd pay to have my guns cleaned if it was convenient like at the range where I shoot.

Ideally I could shoot and then drop the gun(s) off for cleaning while I look around the gun shop attached to the range. :)

But the cleaning would have to be good. I don't want to get my gun back dirty in spots or covered in grease, oil, Teflon or silicone :) Probably a good thing to ask customers how they want their guns cleaned and what products to use or not use on them too.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 19, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'd definitely be willing to pay - I have more money than time right now, and the less chemicals I breathe, the better - set up a fee schedule and let me know - I'll drop them off in a batch like I do my laundry! :)

Pramunitus
November 19, 2008, 09:48 PM
Paying someone to clean your gun makes as much sense as paying someone to pack your parachute or build your scaffold.

Blue .45
November 19, 2008, 10:36 PM
As far as routine cleaning? probably not. However, I had a gunsmith clean my badly leaded .22 revolver. He used that ultra sound deal. I'm not sure what it is called. It came out like brand new. Of course, if I were able to find a Lewis lead puller in .22, I probably would have cleaned it myself.

coosbaycreep
November 19, 2008, 10:36 PM
I'm lazy and hate cleaning my guns, but at the same time, I'm more poor than I am lazy, so I'll stick to cleaning them myself.

HB
November 19, 2008, 10:43 PM
Ahhh, Hoppes and the smell of a fine Dominican cigar - PERFECT TOGETHER!

Two words: Fire Hazard :D

Archie
November 19, 2008, 11:14 PM
If I was stupid rich. Which I'm not.

Wish I could help.

jakemccoy
November 19, 2008, 11:37 PM
No, all my guns are easy to clean. Also, I wouldn't pay to do something that I enjoy doing in my free time. In contrast, I don't enjoy grooming my dog because she's nearly uncontrollable during grooming. So, I gladly pay 40 bucks or whatever it is to get her groomed and nails clipped. I also gladly pay a lawn guy 40 bucks a month to mow my tiny strip of front lawn.

tpaw
November 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!! :barf::barf::barf::barf:

LAK
November 20, 2008, 04:12 AM
If I were wealthy, perhaps - sometimes. And I would be real picky about who did the cleaning: if I would not let someone 'smith my gun, I wouldn't want them near it with screw drivers and a cleaning kit either.

-----------------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssuntedstates.com

#shooter
November 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
I think this would be a good idea if it was a mobile service.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you pay to have your gun cleaned?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!