scope on a Mk3 * ?

PDA

lee-enfeild
November 18, 2008, 01:00 PM
i haven a Lee-enfield Mk 3* and i was wondering if there is any way to mount a scope on it and still get good acuracy. anyone done this or know how it can be done?

If you enjoyed reading about "scope on a Mk3 * ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stevef
November 21, 2008, 06:53 AM
I have just fitted an ATI scope mount to my No1 Mk3 sporter.

After laser bore sighting and wasting 20 rounds with none on the paper I went back to basics and found that the pressure fitting of this mount (two grub screws against the action) did not hold up to the recoil with the scope mounted. Luckily for me there were exisiting pre tapped mounting holes for the old Parker Hale base that was previously mounted. A quick bit of re-engineering resolved my problem.

Maybe with a bit more pressure on the grubscrews or a smaller scope and this mount would have worked well, maybe it was due to user error when fitting? However I am not convinced of that.

There are after market mounts available from both S&K and ATI and possibly others as well. But whatever one you chose make sure that you fit it as recommended and then check that it is holding position on the rifle before questioning your own shooting skills when sighting in.

Oh well I learnt something new in the process :>)

lee-enfeild
November 28, 2008, 09:32 PM
did you use this type of mount?
http://www.combathunting.com/ENFIELD_RIFLE-ENFIELD_RIFLE_SCOPE_MOUNT_FITS_303_No1_Mk3.html

If you enjoyed reading about "scope on a Mk3 * ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!