ATF regulation regarding bullet belts

PDA

Darkthrone
November 18, 2008, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know what section to look under for this information? I need help finding the specific ATF regulation for bullet belts. I know they are legal but I plan to show cops/ officials the rule if they try to confiscate my .308belt. Any help would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "ATF regulation regarding bullet belts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
November 18, 2008, 03:47 PM
I don't follow. What is a "bullet belt"? Do you mean bandoleer? The Federal gov't has no laws/regs concerning that, but your state or local gov't may well have. Where do you live?

General Geoff
November 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
I think he means ammunition feed belts. There is no federal regulation regarding them, of which I am aware.

Darkthrone
November 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
Yes I do mean bandoleer. I live in Florida. I will check out what the state regs are. Thanks

nalioth
November 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
When the government starts confiscating clothing, we're all in trouble.

The Bushmaster
November 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
Confiscate clothing? No...We'll all just move to Florida...

Zoogster
November 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
There is no federal law regarding either bandoleers or linked ammunition currently.

In various states the law can differ regarding linked ammunition. If the state has a capacity limit, then belted ammunition can be subject to that capacity limit depending on the wording of the law.

That means in a state with a magazine capacity limit of say 10, 20 etc rounds, having surplus linked rounds which exceed that number linked together could be a violation of law.

Bandoleers are just clothing. Laws, if any, regarding ammunition tranportation, possession (such as by a prohibited person or in an illegal location), enhancements during a crime etc apply regardless of whether you carry the ammo in your hand or in a piece of clothing.
No special ammunition laws apply because of the clothing being worn as it applies to bandoleers.

TimRB
November 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
"That means in a state with a magazine capacity limit of say 10, 20 etc rounds, having surplus linked rounds which exceed that number linked together could be a violation of law."

FWIW, my understanding is that the California Department of Justice (?) interprets the magazine capacity limit law exactly that way, so beware!

Tim

Phil DeGraves
November 20, 2008, 12:27 PM
I plan to show cops/ officials the rule if they try to confiscate my .308belt.

Why would you think the police would try to confiscate your bandolier?

Why borrow trouble?

If you enjoyed reading about "ATF regulation regarding bullet belts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!