Need to get a .308! Need advice! Need Money!

PDA

danweasel
November 18, 2008, 04:41 PM
I need help. I do not own a hunting rifle. I would like one that is of minimal length (not youth though) about 40" tops and obviously as light as possible. I am set on .308 as a caliber because I like to shoot and I have no money so at least I can get Milsurp for practice/plinking. Also as stated abouve I am pore folk so the cheaper the better. I would like 1.5MOA and under though if at all possible.

Help?

Also, can someone reccomend a cheaper scope that would work with this rifle?

Thanks in advance guys,

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to get a .308! Need advice! Need Money!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Funderb
November 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
i recommend the iron sights.
pick up a milsurp in 7.62x54r,
which is for all intents and purposes a cheap .308

and go shoot stuff.

It can be made light by spending a couple bucks on a synthetic stock
and 300 is about right for a finnish m39, which are quite accurate.

don't put a scope on it, you don't need one.

jaholder1971
November 18, 2008, 05:21 PM
Stevens 200. It's a pre-Acutrigger Savage with a lower price tag. Good shooter.

Avoid like the plague the Remington 710 and similar line of economy rifles unless you like plastic bolt and trigger parts.

eldon519
November 18, 2008, 05:33 PM
H&R Ultra Hunter Rifle. It's 38" long and weighs about 7 pounds. Goes for about $300.

You probably could do better weight-wise, but for the price, quality, and accuracy, it's a good gun.

WardenWolf
November 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 can be had for $550. They're supposed to be very good guns.

ClonaKilty
November 18, 2008, 06:46 PM
Ishapore Enfields (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116518702) in .308 are still available and cheap.

HOLY DIVER
November 18, 2008, 07:00 PM
h&r single shot eldon hit it right on the money! as far as a good CHEAP scope a swift would work nice

Sinixstar
November 18, 2008, 07:11 PM
Depending on what "cheap" is - you have a few options.

First and formost - i'd start looking around at local shops for a decent used rifle. Really check it over with a fine-tooth comb, make sure it's in good shape - and with a bit of luck, you might be able to get a complete package (rifle, rings, scope, maybe even a soft case if they're feeling generous) for a good price.

If you're dead set on a .308 - Savage and Weatherby both have some package rifles for a reasonable price. Buds has the Savage 10FXP3 packaged with a scope for $568, both in blued and stainless.
They have the weatherby vanguard Synthetic package in .308 with a 24" barrel for $547. (Rifle, Scope, Sling, and hardcase)

If you're not dead set on the .308 - are willing to go with a .270 (you can get bulk ammo at Cabellas for a halfway reasonable price, although not as common as .308 bulk ammo) - again looking at bud's they have a Savage package (111FXP3) with a scope (no accu-trigger) for $368, and another variation for $379
They also have the weatherby package with the hard case for $476.

I lot of people don't much care for the packages - since the scopes tend to be a little less than stellar. If you're on a budget and need/want to get something quick and fairly accurate though - they can't be beat. Provided the action is solid and the barrels are accurate (which both the savage and the Wby are) - you can upgrade some of the other things like stock, rings, and scope later on as finances allow.

Definately start with local shops and check out the used selections though. Some real gems can be found if you take your time and have some patience.

zombienerd
November 18, 2008, 07:28 PM
For under $100, (not including shipping or FFL fee) check out http://www.tickbitesupply.com/firearms.html

There's several Mosin's in 7.62x54r (.308) for under a hundred bucks. That's about as "po folk" as you can get. And from what I've read, they make decent guns once they're really well cleaned.

telomerase
November 18, 2008, 07:35 PM
It can be made light by spending a couple bucks on a synthetic stock
and 300 is about right for a finnish m39, which are quite accurate.

How much lighter would an M39 be in a synthetic stock? Are there synthetic stocks for the m24/47 mausers?

mljdeckard
November 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm absolutely with Sinixtar, look in the pawn shops. There are plenty of old Remington 700/760s, actually ALL mfrs of bolt rifles, 1-50 years old, near perfect to a little beat up in .308. I personally don't mind a rifle that's a little bit beat up, because it means I don't have to try to keep it pretty.

And yes, absolutely look at Nagants. They are everywhere, and you actually CAN still get milsurp ammo for it. I have no idea if there is still any milsurp ammo in .308 left that's any kind of deal.

lefteyedom
November 18, 2008, 07:40 PM
A used Savage 110 in 30.06 is your best bang for the buck. 308 and a 30.06 are ballistic twins in bullet 150grn and 165grn weights. You can still find them use under $200. Sometimes with a scope.

jbech123
November 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
Stevens 200, leupold rifleman scope. If you miss a deer at <300 yards, it will be your fault.

NCsmitty
November 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
danweasel, you really did not give us any info as to price range that you're talking.
You can get a NEF handi rifle pretty cheap. Light and durable, easy to scope. Gunbroker.com has got a couple used and some new. A near new 30-06 is at $130 or so with a couple hours left to bid.

NCsmitty

1911 guy
November 18, 2008, 10:49 PM
My money would be on a Stevens 200, mounts, rings and a halfway decent scope. Could do the whole thing for under 500, probably. A lot less if you found one used.

Highland Ranger
November 18, 2008, 11:37 PM
Saiga in 308?

jpwilly
November 18, 2008, 11:41 PM
How cheap? Would you mind chiming back in.

Highland Ranger
November 19, 2008, 12:40 AM
With the run on EBR's prices have jumped a bit.

Going rate now is about $350 depending on where you live.

The Saiga is based on the AK47 . . . .

Wesson Smith
November 19, 2008, 02:32 AM
Kimber Longmaster.

danweasel
November 19, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback so far. By cheap I was thinking around 5-600 bucks. Cheaper is always good though. I want a good rifle but I want a semi decent scope too. What I really want is iron sights so that I can shoot it right away without having to wait to save up for a scope.

The only one I have seen that looks like it fits this bill though, is the savage scout.

Mannlicher
November 19, 2008, 10:09 AM
cut out beer and smokes
get a second job
cancel the cable TV connection

and save, save, save. In a much shorter time than you might think, you can afford a decent rifle and scope.

danweasel
November 19, 2008, 04:22 PM
I DID quit smoking and cable sucks so I don't have that but I am keeping my beer and the army is a fairly time consuming job. Ha!

Funderb
November 19, 2008, 04:54 PM
How much lighter would an M39 be in a synthetic stock? Are there synthetic stocks for the m24/47 mausers?

about 2 pounds lighter, give or take.

and

I have been looking around for a synthetic stock for my 24/47 mauser too. no luck so far. ugh.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 19, 2008, 06:41 PM
Rossi single shot or used Stevens - you can't do any better than that under $200, and you probably won't find a used Stevens under $200.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-rifles.cfm

jpwilly
November 19, 2008, 08:32 PM
Saiga 308

Rifleman 173
November 20, 2008, 01:19 AM
Indian Ishapore Enfields and some Spanish Mausers were both made in .308 caliber. Both rifles are decent in manufacture, bolt action and have decent triggers in most cases. Just check out the rifle you intend to purchase very carefully before you buy it. Make sure to check out the locking lugs on the bolt to see that they are not worn away too much. Make sure that the bolt locks down tight when you run it forward whether it is loaded or on an empty chamber. After you get your rifle, go practice with it at a range with known distances.

RePo30
November 29, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm also looking hard at the Saiga .308. They are avaliable near me for $489 basic stock and 16.5 long. I think I will buy it tomorrow. Seems to be the best bang for the buck in .308

Sunray
November 29, 2008, 12:49 AM
"...the Army is a fairly time consuming job..." The military is funny that way. In any case, a used, scoped, bolt action, rifle is your least expensive option. It's not a bad thing either. You really have to work at damaging a modern hunting rifle or a scope. Takes a lot of abuse.
You'll likely find a good rifle for a decent price from somebody on base(there a base Rod and Gun club?) or in a local gun shop.

cracked butt
November 29, 2008, 01:09 AM
Stevens 200. Add a low end Nikon, Leupold, Burris or a mid-range Bushnell scope for around $200.

If you want a serious hunting rifle, skip the milsurp stuff- its either going to inaccurate or difficult/expensive to find hunting ammo for. Out of the 40 orso milsurps that I have owned only a few of them would come close to matching the accuracy and and handiness of a modern hunting rifle, the rest are pretty much novelties and fun historical artifacts(swedish carbines= mucho $$$, 03A3=mucho $$$, Swiss K-31s= hard to find hunting ammo but are the easiest to mount a scope to).

FWIW, .308 surplus ammo isn't really a bargain anymore- its going to cost you 50 cents a round or more.

Ignition Override
November 29, 2008, 01:55 AM
danweasel:
Even the shorter, commonly found Mosin Nagant 44s were listed about a week ago at Gander Mt. in Jackson, TN for about $99.
This was their original intro price, but don't know whether they are in exc. condition or not, both inside and out.
They might have had little luck selling for $149 last August.
Those looked really good on the outside. Saw the list price and quickly left.

Even the ammo is often still cheap, so just wash out the corosive residue in the bore, chamber and bolt face with Windex, then dry.
Widener's has a new shipment of (440 rds.) Bulgarian and Czech x 54R (800 rds.). Lots of it, but also at J&Gsales :D.
Somebody in Stillwater, OK who is selling on Gunbroker's "Ammo" forum at competitive prices displayed many cases in the photo taken inside the warehouse, a few days ago.
Large quantities with Cyrillic lettering visible on some. You guys in Stillwater and parts of OH, NJ, and Prescott AZ must get some nice breaks.

Somebody on a website stated about two weeks ago that he spoke with a US ammo distributor. The distributor claimed that he ordered and would import a large shipment of surplus ammo (or new?) from eastern Europe or Russia, if I remember correctly.
Don't know whether it was just one or several calibers.
What is the symbol for hands clasped in prayer? :)

EdLaver
November 29, 2008, 03:18 AM
I agree 100% with JPWILLY...SAIGA .308 all the way.

97guns
November 29, 2008, 09:24 AM
ive been eyeballing a howa heavy barrel for $462 shipped but they also have the sporter weight barrel for $403 shipped. check out budsgunshop.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to get a .308! Need advice! Need Money!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!