Muzzle Energy

PDA

wep45
November 18, 2008, 06:16 PM
when i look at various vendor ads for ammunition, specifications for bullet weight, muzzle velocity and muzzle energy are listed. i undersatand how the bullet weight and velocity are measured, but how is energy calculated?

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle Energy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matrem
November 18, 2008, 07:14 PM
Velocity x velocity x bullet wt (in grains)divide by 450240.
Don't mind helping you at all,but this topic can be easily found in "archives"

Chuck Dye
November 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
FWIW Kinetic energy=mv. That divisor, 450,240, is the result of the in the equation, 1 pound weighing 7000 grains, and 1 slug (the unit of mass) weighing 32.16 pounds (the standard value for gravitational acceleration at the earth's surface is 32.16f/s)

Remo-99
November 19, 2008, 10:03 AM
wep45,

Muzzle Energy/Bullet Energy are somewhat meaningless figures, unless it can be transfered into a target.
Whether some, most or all of it can be converted from kinetic energy into knockdown power, is largely upto bullet construction and how it performs.

All I'm trying to say is don't rely totally on the highest ME figures to automatically give the best result.
For example, A bullet with a lower ME figure maybe designed/constructed to transfer more % of it's energy, in a given situation.
(Think of non-expanding FMJ's when compared to HP's or SP hunting bullets.)

rcmodel
November 19, 2008, 11:58 AM
On-line calculator for the mathematically challenged, like myself.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle Energy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!