Ammo at K-mart Disaster

PDA

spyder1911
November 18, 2008, 06:40 PM
Long story will come later, but here is a summary.
I went to buy a few shotgun shells to see if my new 870 would cycle them. K-Mart is on the way home so I stopped to get some. Guy opens the case and gives me the package of slugs. I go up to pay and the lady asks for my drivers license. Weird because they should ask for my FOID card but ok, I give it to her. She puts my birthday into the computer and says that I can't buy these:scrutiny: I ask her why and she says it is because my birthday is in 1990. I tell her I am 18 and my birthday was a month ago and she says there is nothing they can do. I asked for a manager and she said that there wasn't one I could talk to. So, I called the K-Mart customer service center and reported all of this. I will update if I ever hear back from them.

Needless to say, I will not be shopping at K-Mart any more.:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo at K-mart Disaster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
November 18, 2008, 06:48 PM
She puts my birthday into the computer and says that I can't buy these I ask her why and she says it is because my birthday is in 1990. I tell her I am 18 and my birthday was a month ago and she says there is nothing they can do. I asked for a manager and she said that there wasn't one I could talk to.
:scrutiny::rolleyes: That is fouled up on several levels.

jpatterson
November 18, 2008, 06:49 PM
That's a shame. I am about to turn 20 and I still have to deal with crap like that (not THAT bad) every once in awhile and I feel your pain. Only a few more years till we have all of our rights! :banghead:

XDShooter07
November 18, 2008, 06:51 PM
You should have started urinating on the floor. When she said you need to stop; just respond back "First off, I wanted to see if you were lying about your manager not being here. Second off, I'm too young to know any better."

cassandrasdaddy
November 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
disaster? only to someone young inconvenience at worst

Matt-J2
November 18, 2008, 07:14 PM
But it's ok, they card for spray paint as well. :rolleyes:

Urinating on the floor is a bit much. Also, probably illegal. I might have said something to the effect of 'I'm willing to stand here at your register until a manager appears. SHould you leave, I'm willing to stand at any other register here as well.'

Or, probably, I would have walked off and shopped somewhere else, never to return.

jnyork
November 18, 2008, 07:32 PM
You handled it in an adult manner. Shop elsewhere.

Treo
November 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
Sounds like an anti legislating from the cash register. I would not have left that store until I had a face to face W/ a manager.

If you choose not to shop at that K-Mart fine, but make sure you go back get a manager, tell him why and identify the employee

spyder1911
November 18, 2008, 07:42 PM
If you choose not to shop at that K-Mart fine, but make sure you go back get a manager, tell him why and identify the employee

Both employees have been identified to the custom service rep who says he will contact the store manager with an incident report and get back to me in 48 hours.

22-rimfire
November 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
And you wonder why Kmart stopped selling rifles and shotguns?

COMPNOR
November 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
2008-1990=18

If he was born before 18 NOV 1990. Otherwise, he isn't 18 yet.

Of course, the OP claims he is, so there is an error somewhere.

Perhaps the cashier just entered it wrong?

senior
November 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
One good thing otta this is that you still have your whole life ahead of you, few years down the road u will bless those who question your age!! LOL

spyder1911
November 18, 2008, 08:00 PM
Quote:
2008-1990=18
If he was born before 18 NOV 1990. Otherwise, he isn't 18 yet.

Of course, the OP claims he is, so there is an error somewhere.

Perhaps the cashier just entered it wrong?

I was born in October of 1990.

The problem is that they only enter the year in the register not the entire birthday, so it sees anyone that was born in 1990 to be under 18.

They need to change the register system or just have the cashier to check the age.

7.62Reaper
November 18, 2008, 08:02 PM
"You should have started urinating on the floor. When she said you need to stop; just respond back "First off, I wanted to see if you were lying about your manager not being here. Second off, I'm too young to know any better.""

lol

COMPNOR
November 18, 2008, 08:02 PM
At Walmart the ask for everything(Day/Month/Year) i believe.

Odd that Kmart only asks for the year.

|0O0y
November 18, 2008, 09:02 PM
XDShooter07

You should have started urinating on the floor. When she said you need to stop; just respond back "First off, I wanted to see if you were lying about your manager not being here. Second off, I'm too young to know any better."Good gawd XD, that's a bit extreme and not very hi rode.

My wife is a low level manager at a local Kmart and let me just say that the corporate management is abysmally stupid, out of touch, and incredible to behold. They make the D.C. city council look like non elitist geniuses. They keep turning kmart into more and more of a chick store all the time. When I noticed their rifles/shotguns were gone recently I just did this :rolleyes:. My wife is always telling me about the recent edicts from the out of touch upper management and it is hysterical. These people like to fly into a city on a corporate jet, visit a kmart, rip the employees apart, bark orders like they're friggin' Patton, leave everyone feeling like dirt, and then get in their rented luxury car and tell the driver to get them back to their ivory tower. Upper management also likes to sit around at headquarters coming up with the most idiotic TIME CONSUMING busy work for the lower employees that I've ever heard of, and they always attach a list of threats to it. The best was when upper management morons made all low employees carry around a stack of small papers with bar codes on each one. Get this, they were expected to convince 10 customers per day to take one of these cards all the way to checkout and give it to the cashier to scan so the employee could get credit for helping. No surprise, customers didn't bother with that gigantic hassle and just like all of kmart management's busybody schemes, it failed and had to be stopped after mass non compliance.

EDIT: My wife just walked in the room and told me that the system asks for the ENTIRE BIRTHDATE and that cashier was incompetent. My wife trains cashiers and has to deal with things like this every day.

crazy-mp
November 18, 2008, 09:23 PM

I thought that fat woman on TV, Rosie axed K-marts gun sales?

I am surprised you went to K-Mart to buy ammo at all, every time I have ever been in there they were even higher than Bass Pro, and thatís HIGH!!

X-Rap
November 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
Another **** hole state that people must be forced to live in.

woodfiend
November 18, 2008, 09:33 PM
I feel you man, I'm turning 18 in March, and I KNOW that I am gonna get crap like this. Especially the whole, "Are you buying this ammunition for a pistol or rifle?"

gunNoob
November 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
yeah... I try not to go to walmart or the like. It's just a PITA

Phydeaux642
November 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wow, K-Mart had a customer. That probably confused her.

22-rimfire
November 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
Kmart has improved dramatically since the Sears merger. Some stores are quite good. Others are pretty dirty and ill kept. I'm told it depends on the general manager mostly.

7.62Reaper
November 18, 2008, 11:03 PM
|0O0y are you serious??

I think I can speak for XDShooter07 - that that was a JOKE. A very GOOD joke btw.

Rubber_Duck
November 18, 2008, 11:06 PM
This happened to me at Wal*Mart when I tried to buy .22LR. Even though I'm 19, they wouldn't sell it to me.

Kind of Blued
November 18, 2008, 11:07 PM
I did like the urine joke a bit.

I didn't know K-Mart still existed. Glad to hear I'm not missing much.

mgregg85
November 18, 2008, 11:10 PM

My local K-Mart still sells rifles and shotguns.

piratelooking@40
November 19, 2008, 02:43 AM
Wow, K-Mart had a customer. That probably confused her.

Well done!

JackW
November 19, 2008, 03:08 AM
Not really gun related at all, but still a stupid cashier/store policy story.

I am 42 years old and was in a neighboring state visiting relatives. Stopped near their house to buy some beer to take over.

Cashier asks for my license. :rolleyes: OK, no problem, at least that's what I thought. Turns out OH driver's licenses have a magnetic strip on them that he can swipe and it records the DOB in the register. KY D.L. are not so equipped. No magnetic strip on the ID = no beer for you.:mad: (They must have been busted for selling to minors or something, so they swipe the ID to have some kind of proof. Wonder what else they keep track of?)

I had to go all the way to the next driveway to be able to buy it. Guess what? They didn't even ask for ID. :neener:

7.62X25mm
November 19, 2008, 03:23 AM
Find yourself a gun shop and patronize it. K-Mart is not our friend.

rogertc1
November 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
WalMart same pain in the butt. Run you DL and read all for alcohol, tobacco, spray paint, ammo,and returned items. Bet they sell the data too. Debit cards tell them all your habbits.
Remember they now take your picture when you buy Walmart guns too.

NavyLCDR
November 19, 2008, 06:31 AM
'I'm willing to stand here at your register until a manager appears. SHould you leave, I'm willing to stand at any other register here as well.'

That's a good one, I'll have to remember that.

foghornl
November 19, 2008, 09:15 AM
I would not try "wetting down the floor" either, but as (IIRC) 'Law Dog' said "...And wallowing around in the bar ditch beside the Low Road..."

bonza
November 19, 2008, 11:14 AM
WalMart same pain in the butt. Run you DL and read all for alcohol, tobacco, spray paint, ammo,and returned items.

I have a feeling these 'policies' must be implemented (or ignored?) locally. I bought some handgun ammo from a WalMart yesterday & was just asked if I was over 21, no I.D. was asked for.

md2lgyk
November 19, 2008, 11:36 AM
I recently bought some pistol ammo at a Wal-Mart, Maryland no less. I was not asked for ID. Nor have I ever been asked when buying beer, spray paint, or anything else.

22-rimfire
November 19, 2008, 01:43 PM
Rifle or pistol? Hmmm..... rifle!

1KPerDay
November 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
Rifle or pistol?
Machine gun, ma'am. :)

usmc
November 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
There is a K Mart down the road from my house. I normally go there after the hours of 10pm, when I get bored. I never buy anything, it is entertainment watching who comes out after dark. :what:

Rossshady120
November 19, 2008, 02:28 PM
first off your lucky as hell that they sell you ammo period. i don't know about k-mart but wal-mart wont sell to me unless i bring a friend whos 21 for anykind of ammo. The gunshop won't even sell me 9mm unless i give them a hardtime. its 21 for handgun ammo and 18 for shotgun and rifle but *** i have a rifle in 9mm so where does that put me? ****ED is where it puts me can't wait to get my benelli m2 before the anti-christ makes **** any tuffer for me.

expvideo
November 19, 2008, 02:38 PM
Odd that Kmart only asks for the year.
Not really. I imagine that it's an effort to be as non-intrusive as possible, since a lot of gun owners don't want their personal information kept for purchases, especially of gun related items.

atblis
November 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
I've had similar problems in Walmart, except for that each time I summon the manager, he/she says "you're right" and they fix the problem. Can't complain too much about that.

Kmart is still in business??? I haven't bee in one in...hmm.....7 years.

Now if they suddenly started selling, Wolf Ammo, Saigas, and other things that Walmart does not, I'd have a reason to go there.

COMPNOR
November 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
Not really. I imagine that it's an effort to be as non-intrusive as possible, since a lot of gun owners don't want their personal information kept for purchases, especially of gun related items.

Except it wouldn't just apply to guns. If they sell Liquor, certain medications, or even R rated movies or Mature rated Video Games, a little question should pop up.

I know at Walmart any time you scanned any of these "restricted" items, a question would pop up and ask if they buyer was over the age.

The cashier would then look at said ID, and hit yes or no.

Now its been changed where you actually have to type in the Birthdate, including day/month/year.

So I doubt they'd have a separate program for guns, but it would be based off of the UPC.

So...odd.

But its been confirmed that they do ask for everything, so the error was on the cashier.

Of course what they're suppose to do and what they do do is two different things.

4D5
November 20, 2008, 01:23 AM
Well I'd have waited for a manager to show too.

I bet if they caught someone shoplifting they would have d***m well found a manager.

Oh, and while I was waiting I would have opend the box on the counter and dumped out all the shells so "we could count them" to make sure that is was really a full box :evil:

I was at K-Mart a while back and wanted to buy some Winchester Dyapoints, checker at counter didn't know the price but had to take the ammo to the front for my pickup at checkout. Well it gets scanned, $30.00 :what: everywhere else it's ~ $20.00, the checker asked if I wanted it, I refrained with only a few superlatives (mom was there) to the negative.

My brother considers K-Mart and Wally World a form of entertainment. His co-workers won't even go with him :eek:

tmajors
November 20, 2008, 12:04 PM
This happened to me at Wal*Mart when I tried to buy .22LR. Even though I'm 19, they wouldn't sell it to me.

That's because .22LR can be used in pistols and Walmart won't sell them to you.

sidebar: I wonder if they started doing that with .223 because of AR pistols....

stevekl
November 20, 2008, 08:43 PM
The fact that you were born in the 90's and you can not only drive but buy cigarettes and vote is messed up! And i'm only 23

Sinixstar
November 20, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sounds like an anti legislating from the cash register.

Sounds more like a store playing CYA.
Legislating from the register? Come on. really.

You think any of those goons working the register at K-mart really care that much? They have a list of rules they have to follow, a computer that gives them an answer - and if it's not in the computer or the list of rules - they don't do it.

Sinixstar
November 20, 2008, 09:35 PM
Except it wouldn't just apply to guns. If they sell Liquor, certain medications, or even R rated movies or Mature rated Video Games, a little question should pop up.

I know at Walmart any time you scanned any of these "restricted" items, a question would pop up and ask if they buyer was over the age.

The cashier would then look at said ID, and hit yes or no.

Now its been changed where you actually have to type in the Birthdate, including day/month/year.

So I doubt they'd have a separate program for guns, but it would be based off of the UPC.

It's the exact same thing when you buy booze at the grocery store. They scan it - the register beeps, and the cashier cannot complete the transaction until a birthdate is entered. (they can continue to ring up Items, but you can't actually check out until they have a birthdate)

moewadle
November 20, 2008, 10:13 PM
about this and other similar situations. Spyder11 mentioned earlier that, "Needless to say I will not be shopping at K-Mart anymore." Okay, of course that is your choice. But may I say...we live in an imperfect world. No one is perfect. Maybe we should realize that the best run companies sometimes make mistakes and the mistakes do impose on us sometimes in numerous ways. However, we should not expect perfection from anyone or any company. I say...do not stop shopping at a certain business based on one, relatively small, incident. I mean this to be a general rule for all times, not just now and not just K-Mart.

crazy-mp
November 20, 2008, 10:29 PM
...I wonder if they started doing that with .223 because of AR pistols...

Thompson Center makes almost every caliber in current production with a pistol barrel. Donít know why you need a 338 pistol, but if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy go for it.

conw
November 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
Ok, but why was this a post? :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the Open Carry .org forum, where people post things like "I just went to the grocery store to get some cheese, yogurt, and bagels for breakfast in the morning. I was wearing my Glock on my hip in a paddle holster and the guy at the register said, 'Cool gun! Wait, are you a cop?'...it was GREAT!"

sfmittels
November 21, 2008, 01:06 AM
You guys piss me off! You're 18 or 20 or some such, and you're worried about Walmart creating some new barrier to your acquiring ammunition. Hell, I'm 60, and I'm happy just getting out of bed without putting me knee out of joint! On the other hand, I never get carded - for anything.

Enjoy your youth - I envy your age, but not the crap you'll have to put up with the next 20 years. I'll probably have earned my well-deserved dirt nap by then. I wish you all well. Don't let the bastards get you down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo at K-mart Disaster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!