Accuracy limitations of .22LR Bull AR?

PDA

marklbucla
November 18, 2008, 06:48 PM
What is the expected accuracy/precision of a dedicated .22LR AR and Walmart bulk ammo?

With a DPMS .22LR 16" Bull and Tasco World Class 3-9x50, I think about the best I can do is 10 rounds into the size of a quarter at 50 yards using Remington or Federal Walmart Bulk packs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accuracy limitations of .22LR Bull AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HOLY DIVER
November 18, 2008, 06:53 PM
hmmmm prob just as good as most 22lr rifles prob as good as a custom 10/22 just a guess though

gvnwst
November 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
That sounds about right for a autoloader. My bolt gun (base model savags MKII) does about a dime at 50, but i haven't gotten to try out my spikes .22lr upper for accuracy yet:(

Kind of Blued
November 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
10 rounds into a quarter at 50 yards with a semi-auto sounds good to me... :confused:

ArmedBear
November 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
Remington or Federal Walmart Bulk packs.

2 MOA from those rounds isn't bad, though I've shot them at 100 yards through my 16" HB .22LR AR upper, with iron sights, and done all right. With A2 sights on a carbine sight radius at 100 yards, I couldn't tell you if it shoots better than 2 MOA anyway.:) I'll have to try it with a scope.

But those rounds are not capable of better. They're made for shooting cans at under 25 yards, not targets at 50. There's a reason that .22 target cartridges are a LOT more expensive.

Buy a few boxes of match-grade .22LR and try them before you blame the accuracy on the rifle. You will be shocked at how much they cost, but they're a LOT better.

Hell, try some Mini-Mags first. They're not THAT expensive, but much better tolerance than bulk pack plinking rounds.

Now I'm a scope bigot -- not about price, but about brand. I know some may differ, but when I see Tasco, I read "junk."

Nikon makes a great .22 scope for 100 bucks, BTW.

Bottom line? With the ammo and scope you're using, you're getting great groups. There's no reason whatsoever to blame the rifle until you test it out with ammo and a scope that are capable of better accuracy. I'm betting you can get one-hole groups at 50, with some more testing.

I use the bulk ammo, myself. I'm cheap, and I see no reason to plink with Eley. Just know that QC on that bulk ammo is minimal, and load consistency is mediocre at best, because it's made to be as cheap as possible for plinking. And I have a Simmons on my Marlin 60 (I don't do BSA or Tasco any more; the Simmons may distort the image if I'm not looking straight on, but at least the thing holds zero, which is more than I can say about the BSA and Tasco I've owned).

Like I said, I'm not a snob about plinkers. But I've seen firsthand what serious match grade .22 ammo will do in a decent rifle, and I now understand the difference.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Accuracy limitations of .22LR Bull AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!