College Discussion

PDA

EHCRain10
November 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
While in class today, one of my professors said that RPGs and assault weapons were becoming more prevalent in crime use.
As soon as he said that I spoke up and asked for a defintion of assault weapons which was incorrect and asked to be allowed to do some research on the topic for the next class.
I do not wish to look like an idiot when i go to make a full correction of him in front of class so please help me with data of actual use.

Thanks for the help, hopefully i can turn him from an anti or at least provide correct information to him.

If you enjoyed reading about "College Discussion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
November 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
first ask him to give even 1 example of a LEGAL RPG being used in a crime

heres some good sources
http://www.gunfacts.info/
http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/5.0/GunFacts5-0-screen.pdf

aslo a good point is how in 1993 the firearms most used in crimes wernt even covered by the 94 AWB.

they were pocket pistols, 38 revolvers and pump shotguns

post up a picture of an "assault weapon" S/A AKor AR and a ban compliance AR or AK ( WASR) or Saiga and ask him to tell the difference

caseypj
November 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
An Assault Rifle is a Rifle capable of selective Fire.
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_20.html
In many states, hands and feet kill more than all rifles.

Mauserguy
November 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
He said that RPGs are becoming prevelent in crime use? Wow! That's remarkably ignorant.

I would provide the class with the traditional definition, of an assault weapon as well as the touchy-feely definitions that people use. Demonstrate that there is no common societal definition, that the subject is confused. Then reference the FBI statistics, which list the crime stats by weapon type. If I recal, rifles are used in something like 1% of crimes.
Good luck.
Mauserguy

tyesai
November 18, 2008, 09:34 PM
While in class today, one of my professors said that RPGs and assault weapons were becoming more prevalent in crime use.
:barf:

Was he talking about Hamas in Israel? I've never heard of anyone pulling off a stick up a RPG:D

COMPNOR
November 18, 2008, 09:35 PM
Maybe he's been playing a bit too much Grand Theft Auto?

EHCRain10
November 18, 2008, 09:37 PM
The RPGs were supposedly being transported through national parks and forests

tpaw
November 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
The only time anything becomes an assault weapon, is when it's used to assault someone or something. If you hit a baseball with a baseball bat, it's a bat. If you hit the umpire with a baseball bat, it now becomes an assault weapon.

General Geoff
November 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
The RPGs were supposedly being transported through national parks and forests

Wow, this guy's been drinking a dangerous amount of Brady Kool Aid.

Archie
November 18, 2008, 09:45 PM
RPGs - Rocket Propelled Grenades - are classified as a 'destructive device' and have been since the National Firearms Act of 1934 or so. There are no RPGs sold in gun stores or in mail order or internet sales sites. I'm sure BATFE would be very interested in anyone offering these items for sale.

Even if they are 'increasing used in crime' and I've yet to hear about it (and I'm a federal lawman) this makes no possible difference at all in terms of legislation.

An 'assault rifle' is a shoulder fired, air cooled, detachable magazine or belt-fed weapon employing a medium powered cartridge and is capable of full or semi-automatic fire.

"Assault Weapon" is a nebulous term that has no real meaning in fact. An 'Assault Weapon' is merely any weapon some legislative nitwit wants to restrict.

It would be interesting to see what point the professor is pursuing. One could make the argument automobiles are increasingly used in crime. In fact, most crimes would not be possible without an automobile, or alternatively, a motorcycle.

If he is pursuing some legislative goal - like 'common sense regulation' or other code for registration and seizure - one might attempt to discuss the grounds for legislation. Does one pursue laws on the basis of controlling certain acts - such as murder, theft or personal assault - or does one pursue laws on the basis of personal property ownership. Should we combat forgery and fraud for instance by registering ink pens?

As far as the actual numbers of various types of weapons employed, the annual FBI Crime Report gives a lot of details. Machine guns and destructive devices occupy a rather small portion of the weapons used in crimes.

If you enjoyed reading about "College Discussion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!