38 Special +P

PDA

Iron Sight
November 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
38 Special +P

Other than the head stamp.....Is the brass different??

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "38 Special +P" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Archie
November 18, 2008, 11:09 PM
The brass is the same to the best of my knowledge. I reload them the same as any other .38 Special case and haven't noticed any difference.

As far as I can figure, the marking is simply a warning for the original loading and use.

The Bushmaster
November 18, 2008, 11:57 PM
The brass is the same. The +P head stamp is for the purchaser of the new factory ammunition to understand he has +P. Other then that...All the same.

ArchAngelCD
November 19, 2008, 02:46 AM
If you want to be sure all you need to do is fill a .38 Special case with water and then a +P case from the same manufacturer with water and you will see they both hold the same exact amount of water.

Walkalong
November 19, 2008, 08:53 AM
Yep, and I do the same as the manufacturers, I load only +P cases to +P, so I know what I have, but it won't hurt a thing to load non +P cases with +P loads, just keep track of what you have. (My English teacher would love that sentence.:D)

The Bushmaster
November 19, 2008, 10:35 AM
Well. I'm not your English teacher so have at it...

I load all cases the same and mark the box as to what's in it...

10 Spot Terminator
November 19, 2008, 11:47 AM
Just a quick tip here ,,, I load my standard 38 spl rounds in brass cases and my hotter +P stuff in nickle cases . Fast and easy especially when you dont have your reading glasses on or with you .

jfh
November 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
and now, if Starline would only make a headstamp for 38 CIP i.e., the European standard for 38 Special (<=21,750 psi)

Jim H.

rcmodel
November 19, 2008, 05:27 PM
As noted, Starline standard & +P .38 Special cases are identical except for the head-stamp.

Such is not always the case however, with other brands.

I think you will find standard pressure cases, especially those originally loaded with 148 grain wad-cutter, to be both lighter & softer then the same companies +P cases.

Given my druthers, I'd always like to load +P in +P cases.

Not that it really matters from a safety standpoint.

Revolver cases don't fail at +P .38 pressure.
However, wad-cutter cases often won't hold a firm roll crimp if you are loading them past +P, up into .357 mag territory.

rcmodel

ArchAngelCD
November 23, 2008, 01:00 AM
I also load my +P loads in nickel cases and my standard pressure .38's in yellow brass. My eyes aren't what they used to be and that method is an additional safety factor for me. (as well as marking the plastic ammo boxes well with large writing!! LOL)

janobles14
November 23, 2008, 03:08 AM
just a tip. i load all of my standard .38 in any case i can get (even +p labeled) and mark them with a black marker.

i load all of my +p in whatever i can use and mark them with a red marker or dot them with red fingernail polish.

red=hot=+p

Walkalong
November 23, 2008, 10:34 AM
I also load my +P loads in nickel cases and my standard pressure .38's in yellow brass. My eyes aren't what they used to be

Me too. :D

Sure makes it easier huh. :)

Oh yea, I put them in RED ammo boxes too.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=78896&d=1211739626

The Bushmaster
November 23, 2008, 10:42 AM
No wonder we hear more complaints of split cases with nickel then plain brass...

Walkalong
November 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
Could be Bushmaster, but I too don't believe nickle cases last as long as non nickle cases. :)

XD-40 Shooter
November 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
I load 125 grain Ranier's in 38 spl cases, 5.5 grains of Unique give about 1050fps and is a +p load, I like it.

ArchAngelCD
November 24, 2008, 01:45 AM
Walkalong,
I also use different colored cases. Yellow for standard .38 Special, Red for .38 Special +P. I even use different colors for .357 Magnum rounds, Blue and Green. lol

If you enjoyed reading about "38 Special +P" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!