Maybe it's just me.

PDA

QuarterBoreGunner
September 18, 2003, 07:37 PM
I just got back in the office after being on the road for a few days for business. Usually I'm in a customers town for only a day so I don't get a chance to check out the local gun stores that often but I do get to indulge myself by leafing through the hotels phone book to see what business are in the area; I check out the listings for gun shops as a way of determining the local atmosphere for gun owners.
Case in point: Detroit. Not a very gun friendly town; only a few column inches of ads listed in the YellowPages. Memphis is much better. And Oklahoma City is darn right enthusiastic about firearms.

Yeah yeah I know not very empirical, but it does give me a little insight into the towns I travel to.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe it's just me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
September 18, 2003, 07:40 PM
Another way to check the local gun atmosphere is to check the guns for sale in the local papers classified ads.

Ex-Doc
September 18, 2003, 08:16 PM
QuarterBoreGunner, Would you by chance live in California?

I live in California and like to visit the stores and see what it used to be like back home. You know handle an AR-15 and such....it brings tears to my eyes knowing what these A-holes have done to this beautiful state, and what they want to do even further. It's hard not to bring any contraband back home with me.

Lennyjoe
September 18, 2003, 08:39 PM
Every time I go TDY (Temporary Duty) I hit most of the local gunshops just to see what everyone is selling and at what prices they are going for.

Also look for holsters and other stuff.

Just another way of passing time while Im visiting.

QuarterBoreGunner
September 18, 2003, 09:04 PM
Ex-Doc; yes I'm another citizen of the republic. And yes, when I do get the chance to check out another states gun stores (texas is a favorite) I get a little pang of jealousy seeing what I could buy if I lived there.

At least we don't have to worry about hurricanes.

Only Feinstein.

And earthquakes.

I'll take earthquakes over her anyday.

Tamara
September 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
Of course, market size is going to drastically influence that. K-town ain't a very big city, and only has hmmm... lessee... only four really honest-to-Thor, dedicated Gun Shoppes in town, plus a couple of hybrid joints like Wynn's and Outdoor Sports and Bradford's (a jewelry & gun shop). Benton's Shooter's Supply and Fronteir Firearms are within an easy drive, but not close enough to town to make the phone book.

Keith
September 19, 2003, 12:50 AM
That's a pretty interesting way to gauge things and I think you might be on to something. You might want to look at what the biggest shops carry to see what is popular... I mean, are they heavy on sporting shotguns or do the big stores lean towards self-defense or (egads!) those evil black guns.

I live in a town of 10,000 with four gun shops - or five if you count Wal-Mart... But, it's mostly sporting arms of one kind or another. If you want an AK clone or a pocket pistol, you'll have to order one in. You rarely see that stuff on the shelves unless it's out there on consignment.

Keith

chaim
September 19, 2003, 01:16 AM
Another way to check the local gun atmosphere is to check the guns for sale in the local papers classified ads. And tell me, just how would you expect your system to work in areas like mine where no local paper will carry ads (especially classifieds) for guns.:scrutiny:

;)

QuarterBoreGunner
September 19, 2003, 01:43 AM
chaim-

I don't usually look through the local newspapers; generally I get the hotel newspaper of choice- USA Today.

I was talking about leafing through the phone book to get a general idea of the state of gun stores in the area. Like I said, not much of a 'system' but a cheap thrill none the less.

chaim
September 19, 2003, 02:39 AM
chaim-

I don't usually look through the local newspapers...

I was talking about leafing through the phone book to get a general idea of the state of gun stores in the area. Like I said, not much of a 'system' but a cheap thrill none the less.

I know, mine was a tongue in check response to Hkmp5sd who said his system is to look at local classified gun ads.

Yours is the system I most often use when I'm out of town. Using his, I just might happen to pick up an anti-gun paper and get the wrong idea. That, and I don't always want to buy the local papers but every room usually has a phone book.

Hkmp5sd
September 19, 2003, 02:50 AM
Chaim,

Isn't my system, I never go anywhere. :) However, when I'm forced to go somewhere, I've found that restaurants, especially during breakfast, have local papers on the counter to read. Some hotels also will leave a local paper outside the door in the morning.

There are only two things I read in the newspaper, the comics and guns for sale. No matter where I am, if I pick up a paper, autopilot kicks in and I read the comics and search for guns.

Fortunately, whenever out of state, I have managed to resist the urge to buy a gun from a private individual and take it home. I probably would never get caught, but I do make an effort to play by the rules.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe it's just me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!