Movie Star: Weatherby Mark V

PDA

Reid73
November 19, 2008, 12:54 PM
I’m trying to remember the name of a 1950’s film that I saw years ago, which prominently featured a Weatherby Mark V rifle.

The plot revolved around a posse’s search for three convicts who had escaped from a penitentiary and took to the hills in some western state (“filmed in glorious Technicolor”, natch!). One of the posse members had a Weatherby, which he finally used to kill the lead convict. The sheriff in charge of the posse then smashed the Weatherby to pieces on a rock (I hope they used a dummy prop!), and the last line of the movie was “You gotta buy me a new rifle!”.

Can you tell me the name of this movie?

If you enjoyed reading about "Movie Star: Weatherby Mark V" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reid73
November 10, 2010, 12:09 AM
I finally managed to find the name of the movie, and will identify it here for the information of anyone who may be interested: it is called Running Target, directed by Marvin R. Weinstein and released in 1956. I believe it was based on the Steve Frazee short story "My Brother Down There".

The plot is accurately summarized by reviewer "Sol" at this website (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049698/usercomments).

Sure wish it was available on DVD!

If you enjoyed reading about "Movie Star: Weatherby Mark V" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!