What bolt action rifle has the easiest to find spare parts?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
November 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
I am curious to know what rifle you think would be the easiest to find spare parts for.

another criteria i am interested in is whether it has a detachable magazine or not. I do not want a detachable magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about "What bolt action rifle has the easiest to find spare parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tribbles
November 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hands down, the Model 98 Mauser.

Brad Clodfelter
November 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
Rem 700

They are the most popular bolt action ever.

BornAgainBullseye
November 19, 2008, 01:26 PM
+1 on the Mod 98. Been around since 1898. Remington would be a DISTANT second. Just tell me how many remmy 700 stripped recievers can you get?? I bet I can get triple of that number of mod 98 mausers and for 1/3 of the price.

MMCSRET
November 19, 2008, 02:18 PM
M98, as said before. I have several action and complete rifles in various stages of upgrade into custom rifles. It is my favorite to work with.

Lone_Gunman
November 19, 2008, 03:25 PM
I guess I should have clarified... I am referring to currently produced commercial rifles.

WardenWolf
November 19, 2008, 03:43 PM
For currently produced rifles, I'd say a Remington 700. They're common enough.

For other rifles, hands down, the Mosin Nagant M91/30. There will never be a shortage of those. They're one of the most common and most reliable rifles ever produced. Even Mausers are nowhere near as common.

Reid73
November 19, 2008, 03:54 PM
Why do you want currently-produced commercial production? The M98 action will do everything a Remington, Ruger, Savage, Winchester, etc., action can. And as others have said, parts are more readily available.

Float Pilot
November 19, 2008, 04:08 PM
Plus there are still civilian forms of the M98 being produced as sporters.

Lone_Gunman
November 19, 2008, 04:15 PM
Why do you want currently-produced commercial production?

Do you own any currently produced current guns?

dagger dog
November 19, 2008, 08:15 PM
With the switch barrel , bolt head capability of the Savage 110, 10 series bolties, and their willingness to sell just about every part for their rifles, I would give them a stong looking over!

zombienerd
November 19, 2008, 08:18 PM
You could always get a Mosin Nagant... Spare parts are simple, if the gun breaks, buy another one for $80...

I kid, I kid :)

Reid73
November 20, 2008, 11:11 AM
Do you own any currently produced current guns?No, I don't, although I would certainly be willing to buy one if it seemed the most suitable for my purposes. Why do you ask? :confused:

Are you going to answer my question?

Lone_Gunman
November 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
Why do you ask?

Because I am looking for opinions of people with experience and knowledge of currently produced rifles, and it sounded like you were more familiar with the mauser..

Are you going to answer my question?

Sure. I want a currently produced rifle, not a sporterized mil surp or out of production model. Thanks for the help though.

BornAgainBullseye
November 20, 2008, 12:57 PM
sorry children... The Mauser 98 will never be "out of production" It will be a cold day in hell when mauser 98's are no longer produced. Here is a list. CZ, Rem798, Model70. RugerM77. These are current production mauser 98's

Reid73
November 20, 2008, 03:40 PM
While Ruger's 77 action and the new Winchester 70 action both have 98-like features, calling them Mauser 98s is arguably stretching things a bit.

Besides the Brno and Zastava actions, don't forget the Granite Mountain Arms actions (http://www.granitemountainarms.com/M98Actions_0305CM.html) (yes, currently in production!).

I want a currently produced rifle, not a sporterized mil surp or out of production model.For magnum rifles, it's difficult to do better than one built on a customized 1914 action. Pricey though.

StrawHat
November 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
Another vote for the Savage, the one I had was accurate right from the box and got better when I gave it some attention.

rcmodel
November 20, 2008, 04:00 PM
If I thought I needed a box full of spair parts for a modern bolt-action rifle, I'd probably buy some other brand!

They just don't break down often enough to even worry about it!

And if they did, all you gotta do is get on the phone with Brownell's or the company service rep.

rcmodel

gandog56
November 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
Any Mosin Nagant.

jpwilly
November 20, 2008, 11:34 PM
You could always get a Mosin Nagant... Spare parts are simple, if the gun breaks, buy another one for $80...

You beat me to it!

CZ223
November 21, 2008, 12:34 AM
I would have to say Savage. There are not many things you can change on a Ruger or a Remington or most other bolt actions for that matter without a professional gunsmith. With Savage,you can not only change the the trigger, bolt handle and stock, but the barrel as well. Even if your bolt face doesn't work with the new round that you have chosen, it is a simple matter of changing the bolt face. Tactical bolt handles match barrel bushings, used and new barrels as well as aftermarket triggers are all available and easy to install. In fact, you can even buy just the action and barrel and stock it yourself.

Reid73
November 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
Actually, Mauser Jagdwaffen GmbH still makes their Model 98: see magnums (http://www.mauserwaffen.de/fileadmin/Editor/downloads/Broschueren/Deutsch/M98M_Folder_2005_de-en_01.pdf) and standard calibres (http://www.mauserwaffen.de/fileadmin/Editor/downloads/Broschueren/Englisch/Mauser-M98-Flyer_gb_01.pdf).

Don't tell them that the 98 is "a sporterized mil surp or out of production model"! :neener:

J. Jay
November 27, 2008, 02:29 AM
Remington 700 has a huge aftermarket parts availability.

BHP FAN
November 27, 2008, 04:22 AM
FN Mauser 98.

d2wing
November 28, 2008, 03:36 PM
Current production of a single commercial brand? I would go with Remington 700 as it is most popular choice in action for target, tactical and hunting rifles. Not that the others aren't good, and have many fans among us gun nuts.

mljdeckard
November 28, 2008, 04:06 PM
Order the Brownell's master catalog, and you get the idea pretty quick, if it exists, someone makes parts for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What bolt action rifle has the easiest to find spare parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!