Underworld

PDA

Lightsped
September 18, 2003, 08:37 PM
Anyone planning to see this movie?

Even though the movie looks to be totally unrealistic in plot, the guns/shooting in the commercials look quite good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Underworld" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
September 18, 2003, 08:49 PM
I'm a big Matrix/ Terminator fan, and occasionally enjoy a good vampire flick.
So... I might go see it...:D

spacemanspiff
September 18, 2003, 08:56 PM
following is a quote from the actress about the movie:

"They usually put the girl in a bra and panties. Or she's got some 'woman moment' where she has PMS and can't get the gun to work. But this movie is smart. The woman is actually doing the guy's part."
-- KATE BECKINSALE, quoted in the New York Daily News on role as werewolf-hunting vampire in "Underworld."

Skunkabilly
September 18, 2003, 09:04 PM
"They usually put the girl in a bra and panties.

Or really tight black spandex :rolleyes:

Andrew Wyatt
September 18, 2003, 09:07 PM
Or really tight black spandex

Yeah, thank god underworld doesn't do that. they use leather.

TarpleyG
September 18, 2003, 09:08 PM
Anything with Kate Beckinsale gets my attention. The wife is dreading this one.

GT

Kharn
September 18, 2003, 09:09 PM
Well, The Matrix used tight-fitting PVC.
I'm probably going to try to see Underworld sometime soon, whatever girl I can get to agree to go along should enjoy the Romeo&Juliet looking stuff, while I'll be sitting there counting mag capacities on my fingers. :D

Kharn

Justin
September 18, 2003, 09:11 PM
I was really stoked to see this movie, until I read a couple of things that have me kinda unsure about it:

1)One of the advance reviews I read rated it as being so bad that the reviewer walked out. (But most movie reviewers don't have a freaking clue, so that in and of itself would not normally dissuade me from seeing a movie.)

2)White Wolf Publishing is suing the production company of Underworld for stealing no less than 60 some odd plot/story elements from their RPG 'Vampire: The Masquerade' and incorporating them into the movie.

Snowdog
September 18, 2003, 09:12 PM
I understand the firearms used against the vampires in the movie fire ultraviolet light. Where's the fun in that?

Betty
September 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
As I was watching the part in the commercial where the chick shoots a circle around herself, sending her through the floor, I thought, "What's wrong with taking the stairs?" :rolleyes:

Ahhh....It's just not as COOL as shooting a big circle around yourself!

Revolver
September 18, 2003, 09:45 PM
A Terminator or Robocop would screw this whole movie up. The vampire and werewolves would break thier teeth on the unstopable cyborgs then get throughly smitted. I'd use a 870 and for vampires those 12 ga. shells that are fireblasts would work then I'd have silver 00 buckshot for the werewolves . . . and thats why the gun cultures not in horror movies my friends. :D

NewShooter78
September 18, 2003, 09:52 PM
I'm going to go see it once I'm settled in after this weekend's move. I checked out the website, and they showed some of the weapons used in the movie. Kate Beckinsale's character uses Walther P99s and HK USPs. Could be worse, but at least they are more realistic than Desert Eagles.

Dorrin79
September 18, 2003, 09:52 PM
Justin:
2)White Wolf Publishing is suing the production company of Underworld for stealing no less than 60 some odd plot/story elements from their RPG 'Vampire: The Masquerade' and incorporating them into the movie.

I wondered about that from the previews. It does seem to resemble the "World of Darkness" mythos in a lot of non-superficial ways.

Of course, I also expeected WW to sue the Wachowski Bros. and Warner Bros for "The Matrix", which steals about 2/3 of it's logic and concepts from "Mage: The Ascension" RPG

Very interesting. Doubt the movie will be any good though.

seeker_two
September 18, 2003, 10:20 PM
Wasn't there a British series called "Underworld" at one time? Is this movie going to be the same thing?

Even though the movie looks to be totally unrealistic in plot, the guns/shooting in the commercials look quite good.

What part was hardest to believe? Eternal warfare b/t vampires & werewolves.....

...or that anyone in London HAD access to firearms? :D

cool45auto
September 18, 2003, 10:24 PM
Kate Beckinsale's character uses Walther P99s and HK USPs.
Aw man, I was hopin' she was shootin' two 93R's!:mad:

Penforhire
September 19, 2003, 12:23 AM
I'm TOTALLY there. The movie may end up stinkin' more than three-day-old fish but the concept is too cool and the previews show decent special effects.

Quartus
September 19, 2003, 12:35 AM
Yup. Gotta support Hollywood. They're our FRIENDS!

Right?

Right.

Oh, by the way, next time you get mad at some actor running off at the mouth against guns or America in general.....

Just shut up.

Andrew Wyatt
September 19, 2003, 12:40 AM
feh. if a movie's good i'll see it. if refused to give money to any anti gun organizations out there i'd starve and die penniless with a poor education in jail.

Skunkabilly
September 19, 2003, 03:29 AM
As I was watching the part in the commercial where the chick shoots a circle around herself, sending her through the floor, I thought, "What's wrong with taking the stairs?"

If she used a .45, she would have only needed one shot. :neener:

Minion82
September 19, 2003, 04:29 AM
I saw a sneak preview on Tuesday. It's an entertaining movie, and I would recommend seeing it. That said, there are some parts that are very cheesy. Random thoughts (trying not to spoil major plot aspects):

1- Although it's billed as "Romeo and Juliet with vampires and werewolves", they barely even touch on any romance aspects. The two main characters don't really "get together" at any point. I thought this aspect was quite nice, something different from everything else out there.

2- One of the actors really cannot act. Believe me, you'll know who I'm talking about when you watch the movie. I've seen better actors in high school plays.

3- For some reason, Kate's P99's are full-auto.... and seemingly filled with an indefinite ammo supply.

4- The vampires get shot with bullets filled with an "irradiated fluid" that somehow mimics daylight. If you can tell me how to fill a bullet with daylight, I'd love to know.

5- Lots of nice guns on display. But very little in the way of tactics... they tend to stand out in the open, under heavy automatic fire, and take out all the enemies without getting hit themselves. But I guess that's not much different from many other action movies.

White Wolf needs to lay off. They didn't invent vampires and they didn't invent werewolves, and heaven forbid that anyone besides WW should pit the two against each other.

Definitely worth seeing, if you're looking to be entertained. Not an arthouse classic, but not a mindless shooting-fest either.

Lone_Gunman
September 19, 2003, 08:36 AM
Before everyone gets too bent out of shape about the tactics and weapons handling being too unrealistic, perhaps we should remember that the movie is about vampires and werewolves.

GSB
September 19, 2003, 08:47 AM
Before everyone gets too bent out of shape about the tactics and weapons handling being too unrealistic, perhaps we should remember that the movie is about vampires and werewolves.

It's a little like criticizing gun handling in a Sergio Leone or John Woo film, isn't it?

As for a reviewer walking out: I've seen people walk out of films I thought were utterly brilliant, so there's no accounting for taste. Maybe this one's no good, maybe it is, but I'm not going to take the fact that someone walked out of the theater as an indicator of anything.

Augustwest
September 19, 2003, 09:51 AM
Underworld is a ridiculous looking movie.

I can't wait to see it. :D

buzz_knox
September 19, 2003, 10:04 AM
The vampires get shot with bullets filled with an "irradiated fluid" that somehow mimics daylight. If you can tell me how to fill a bullet with daylight, I'd love to know.

The bullets are filled with a UV emitting substance, and the bullet jackets are transparent to UV light. Thus, they have harnessed the component of daylight that is generally considered to be harmful to vampires. I believe that is stated in the movie, or at least was in the clip that I saw.

Okiecruffler
September 19, 2003, 10:15 AM
Me and the wife are going to the drive in tonight ( I didn't even know they still had drive ins) for a triple show, Underworld, Once apon a time in Mexico, and Jason vs. Freddie. You just can't get cooler than that.

Skunkabilly
September 19, 2003, 11:40 AM
The bullets are filled with a UV emitting substance, and the bullet jackets are transparent to UV light. Thus, they have harnessed the component of daylight that is generally considered to be harmful to vampires.

The bullet is a daylight core encased with copper. Problem is with shorter barrels, the bullets don't tumble and fragment so the daylight stays inside. This is especially true with barrels 14" and under, limited their effective range.

I believe that is stated in the movie, or at least was in the clip that I saw.

You mean magazine?? :neener:

buzz_knox
September 19, 2003, 11:43 AM
You mean magazine??

No, smart a$$. ;) Clip, as in film clip. I can't remember the last time I made that rookie mistake concerning firearms.

Skunk, if you ever make it to TN, look me up. You've got my sense of humor (you poor guy, you).

Minion82
September 19, 2003, 02:14 PM
The bullets are filled with a UV emitting substance, and the bullet jackets are transparent to UV light. Thus, they have harnessed the component of daylight that is generally considered to be harmful to vampires. I believe that is stated in the movie, or at least was in the clip that I saw.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't quite catch that detail during the movie. And as for gun handling: if you were the immortal undead, wouldn't you spring for some training classes at some point in your 1000 years of unlife? :D

buzz_knox
September 19, 2003, 02:18 PM
And as for gun handling: if you were the immortal undead, wouldn't you spring for some training classes at some point in your 1000 years of unlife?

Well, modern firearms instruction has only been around for a few decades, so imagine the amount of unlearning you'd have to do. A vampire who learned firearms in the days of percussion pistols might still fire one round from a wondernine, then flip it over to use as a club from sheer habit!

Besides, if you're the undead, screw training. You can take a few hits and look good doing it. It's got to be demoralizing to the food in boots (i.e. humans) to see weapons basically useless.

Nightcrawler
September 19, 2003, 02:36 PM

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030908l.jpg

Hee hee. Visit Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/).

Daniel T
September 19, 2003, 02:43 PM
Heh, and here I was, all ready to post that Penny Arcade link. WW doesn't have a pot to crap in.

Dorrin79
September 19, 2003, 02:59 PM
LOL

Penny Arcade cracks me up.

And you're right, I don't think WW will get anything out of the case except some free publicity.

Still, from what I've heard of the movie it does sound like they at least read through some of the WoD materiel.

Okiecruffler
September 20, 2003, 02:35 AM
Way cool movie IMHO, but I like some pretty goofy stuff. Lot's of unrealistic shootouts, full auto pistols and never ending ammo supplies. Add to that vampire chicks and cool werewolf transformations, and what's not to like?

And then there was Once upon a time in Mexico, Flame throwing guitar cases, PG dbl barreled shotguns with 4 inch barrels, and Salma Hayek, she can ... Dang can't think of a metaphor that isn't too dirty.

Kamicosmos
September 20, 2003, 03:30 AM
Just got back from seeing it. It was what I was expecting, although I think it was entertaining enough to justify getting the DVD when it comes out.

If you're into the whole 'hot-chic-in-PVC-dual-wielding-pistols' thing like I am, you'll love most of it! :p

Just don't think too hard about it, enjoy the scenery and muzzle blasts...

MAKOwner
September 20, 2003, 03:37 AM
I thought it was pretty good. The main chick didn't quite sell herself as a super-badass 100% though I didn't think. Still good though.

She fired too rounds per mag (with a full auto pistol with that rate of fire it's be hard to make a movie without reloading every second...), but atleast she did reload several times, and ran out of ammo once or twice. During the first shootout at least almost everyone was reloading fairly often. That makes this one better than 99% of the hollywood movies out there with truly endless magazines...

Overall I liked it it alot, but I like the new Vampire movies like Blade and such. With werewolves thrown in too there wasn't much chance of me not liking it at least a little...

Oh yeah, I could have sworn she did use some Berettas in there, seemed to be her standard kit to start with two Berettas, then she moved on to the others. She used several different pistols, all with compensators I believe, most full auto...

As I was watching the part in the commercial where the chick shoots a circle around herself, sending her through the floor, I thought, "What's wrong with taking the stairs?"

Ahhh....It's just not as COOL as shooting a big circle around yourself!

Using the stairs is easier said than done when there are a half dozen Werewolves intent on ripping you to shreds between you and stairs...

Andrew Wyatt
September 20, 2003, 05:10 AM
Just saw the movie.

It seems like it's a victum of bad editing, stuff happens for no particular reason, and a lot goes unsaid, like how someone could forget how to use a flashlight mouned on their rifle when they're looking in a dark place they think might contain an enemy.

NewShooter78
September 20, 2003, 07:24 AM
It seems like it's a victum of bad editing, stuff happens for no particular reason, and a lot goes unsaid, like how someone could forget how to use a flashlight mouned on their rifle when they're looking in a dark place they think might contain an enemy.

Well, vampires can see in the dark silly! :neener:

Lone_Gunman
September 20, 2003, 09:43 AM
It is interesting that in a movie about werewolves and vampires, someone would think the gun handlind was the unbelievable part.

Do you guys believe in vampires???

Andrew Wyatt
September 20, 2003, 03:25 PM
obviously not, since they all carried flashlights and used them in other parts of the movie.

paul
September 20, 2003, 03:38 PM
Loved it...
Would go again if I wasn't married...
paul

Andrew Wyatt
September 20, 2003, 03:58 PM
It is interesting that in a movie about werewolves and vampires, someone would think the gun handlind was the unbelievable part.

the vampires and werewolves were the parts of the movie that were supposed to be not realistic. the gunhandling isn't.

clipse
September 20, 2003, 04:12 PM
My wife wanted to see the movie "Anything Else". I have absolutely no desire to see it. While she was looking up the movie times she came to the conclusion that the local theatre is not showing the movie she wants to go see. So, she looks at me and all she see's is :D. Now we get to go see "Underworld" tonight. I am very excited.

clipse

Justin
September 20, 2003, 04:36 PM
So the lawsuit is just over the fact that the movie is 'vampires vs. werewolves?'

And here I thought it would be more substantial, like lifting character names directly and soforth.

Oh well. Should have read more carefully.

:rolleyes:

JShirley
September 20, 2003, 07:14 PM
Saw it. Enjoyed it immensely (unlike Once Upon at Time, otherwise known as John Slept).

Best final showdown ever: no macho mano y mano BS, just kill 'em and drive on.

I did find myself saying aloud: "Use the light! You have a light- use it!" Still, one of the few movies I've walked out of recently, thinking "gotta buy it".

telewinz
September 20, 2003, 08:51 PM
Just saw it today. If you liked the Matrix you will love this movie. Lots of action and excellent special effects bet their will be a part II.

Dorian
September 20, 2003, 09:43 PM
For anyone interested in the guns... this is what I saw:

She switched between Beretta Longslide Automatics (Did a websearch and can't find a damn beretta longslide, so I guess it was a modified 93R)

and Walther P99 stainless with the 6 volt light which was never used.

The walthers sounded like they were firing automatic but when I payed REAL close attention I saw that they were in semi auto mode(as if there were any other) and the sound effect they used for her firing went something like (ba-BOOM)... So her firing em both so fast made it sound like full auto.

And she never used the USP :( :( :( However it DID get a GREAT closeup.

MATCH HK USP

One thing I found funny was that the vampires were using MP5s and M-4 style weapons while the Werewolves, who seemed much underfunded were using G-36s.

Figured with all the money and time the vamps had they could get the superior weapons :neener:

Dr.Rob
September 20, 2003, 11:09 PM
It's got to be better than Dog Soldiers.

Just for the Pleather factor alone.

I for one am not going to complain that the werewolves don't stack before a tactical entry.

And vampires? Dude when you can make yourself a fuzzy mist or turn into a bat or a wolf or a shadow... you probably don't need to shoot from a weaver stance.

FUN. Remember fun? Escapism? Bet some of you watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and said.. "oh god no the aerodymics are just all wrong and don't even get me started on Toots sweets!"

It's just a movie.

vertigo7
September 21, 2003, 12:38 AM
Saw it tonight. Enjoyed it enough that I'll probably pick it up on DVD. The gunplay wasn't bad, and they did actually reload on occasion too :D &nbsp Made me want to trade my plain-black USP for the USP match bi-tone version. Is there a proper name for the gimmick they mounted on the front of it, or is it just Hollywierd prop junk?

atek3
September 21, 2003, 01:45 AM
Man, hot...leather...vampires. Come on... you guys are looking at guns during that movie? j/k the guns were cool too. Man when
<spoiler>
amelia gets killed 2 minutes after introduction, I was like "***" she was hot!
<spoiler>

atek3

John/az
September 21, 2003, 06:26 AM
Eh... it was alright, but turn off any rational thought processes when you watch it.

I found myself thinking too much about those 15-16 round magazines that magically fired 30+ rounds before a reload, and the characters that stood full face in a hail of bullets and came out without a scratch.

The werewolves were cool, but didn't follow the traditional legends. I was not aware that werewolves could change on demand. ;)

And the vampires could see themselves in the mirrors? What's up with that? :scrutiny:

Anyway, for me the coolest part was in the first part of the show when she lands on the pavement after that long jump down from the church tower; that slight hop as she recovers. Don't ask me why, because I don't know! :D

Andrew Wyatt
September 21, 2003, 02:14 PM
You liked that too?

vi9er
September 21, 2003, 02:47 PM
The werewolves were cool, but didn't follow the traditional legends. I was not aware that werewolves could change on demand.
They explained that in the very beginning by saying that as the werewolves got older, the moon no longer held sway over them and they could change at will.

I really didn't like the movie as much as I though that I would. I LOVE a good mindless action flick, but this was just bad. No charecter development, NO relief from the sobre tone of the movie. A couple of wisecracks from the gadget guy, probably would have helped. Overall, the characters were so poorly developed that I really and truly didn't care if the girl died, or the guy died, or victor died. The only one I had any connection to was Lucian, and he died! Definitly won't but it.

Ed

John/az
September 22, 2003, 01:35 AM
Andrew wyatt said,You liked that too?Yeah. Believe it or not, for me it was the most memorable part. (pretty sad, eh? :p) Very surrealistic.

vi9er,

I must have missed that part. What about the vampires and the mirrors? Did I miss something there, too?

Killerofgiants
September 22, 2003, 07:11 AM
I liked the film a lot. I liked the dark, gothic look and the music. The main handguns I saw used were a Desert Eagle, H&K USP Match, P99's, and Berettas. The Berettas didn't look like 93R's but acted like them. They looked like the Beretta Combat with extended barrel and barrel weight; that gun is single action only, though. I thought the girl used a USP once and gave it to Micheal when she chained him up. Can't remember clearly, though, have to see it again. The only thing I thought was corny was when she used the sword; would have preferred a different angle of the outcome.

c_yeager
September 22, 2003, 07:53 AM
Rather than filling bullets with a UV emitting fluid wouldnt it be much much easier just to use some kind of portable sunlamp? I mean you wouldnt really even have to aim very much. Of course, what would be the fun in that. Its fun how modern vampire mythology has gone to HUGE lengths to incorporate firearms even though the whole point of vampires is their resistance to such things. What "powers" does a vampire have without being impervious to guns? The power to be really pale and wear "goth" outfits? Seems pretty lame to me.

GSB
September 22, 2003, 08:35 AM
No charecter development, NO relief from the sobre tone of the movie. A couple of wisecracks from the gadget guy, probably would have helped. Overall, the characters were so poorly developed that I really and truly didn't care if the girl died, or the guy died, or victor died. The only one I had any connection to was Lucian, and he died! Definitly won't but it.

You saw a completely different film from the one I saw, I guess. To each his own.

GSB
September 22, 2003, 08:38 AM
The gunplay wasn't bad, and they did actually reload on occasion too

Selene needs to practice her tactical and emergency reloads though. Sheesh. Of course, it is a bit hard to do a tac reload when you've got a USP in each hand.

buzz_knox
September 22, 2003, 08:57 AM
The Berettas looked to be standard 92 with compensators. I don't know if the full auto was a sound/visual edit or a conversion.

Zach S
September 22, 2003, 10:38 AM
like how someone could forget how to use a flashlight mouned on their rifle when they're looking in a dark place they think might contain an enemy. The flashlight will only give away your position in the event there is an enemy there waiting...

Do you guys believe in vampires??? Yup. I'm half-vampire, I work with others like me all the time. Of course, I work graveyard shift...

Selene needs to practice her tactical and emergency reloads though. Sheesh. Of course, it is a bit hard to do a tac reload when you've got a USP in each hand. Pratice? She should just borrow some of Laura Croft's gear.

I hate going to the theater to see anything. I alway wind up sitting behind the same two chicks that wont shut up, with the same guys sitting behind me that wont shut up either. Not to mention that two tickets, large drinks and popcorn can easily cost over $50 at some places. Ill just pay the $3 or $3.50 to rent it when it hits DVD, have a frew freinds over for drinks and pizza.

But back on topic, Kate Beckinsale running around in leather toting guns? Yeah, cant wait to see it.

spacemanspiff
September 22, 2003, 12:51 PM
imho, its the best vampire movie in a long time. way better than blade or those crappy anne rice book-turned-movie stuff. and i'm happy they left the ending open for a sequel.

the best line in the movie, when selene took michael to the interrogation house and he asked what all the medical equipment and bullets were...
s. "if we dont take the bullets out in time, the lycans will die"
m. "what do you do when the interrogations over?"
s. "we put the bullets back"

Hot brass
September 22, 2003, 08:46 PM
I would have had more fun throwing bullets down range than throwing money away on Dudderworld.

The pistols shoot HOW MANY times before reloading??? 50 100 shis.
If the Duke had one of those pistols he would be alive today.

IMHO this was nothing short of an English want to be ripoff of Matrix:mad:

keederdag
September 22, 2003, 08:51 PM
Awsome movie. Loved it; + best runner up next to Carrie Ann Moss for best Latex.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

buzz_knox
September 23, 2003, 09:23 AM
If the Duke had one of those pistols he would be alive today.

Huh? Given that there is no Duke in the movie, I got to presume you're talking about John Wayne. How would a full auto, never ending supply of ammo fend off cancer?

Mikul
September 23, 2003, 12:34 PM
I saw the hop when she recovered from the jump in the previews. I liked it too. It was a subtle bit of attitude, like saying "Yes, I just jumped from a four story building and I'm walking away. I AM BAD, and it feels good."

John/az
September 23, 2003, 12:38 PM
THAT'S IT! ^^ "Im BAD, and it feels good!"

cma g21
September 23, 2003, 01:23 PM
I saw it Sunday, not bad.
Just remember, it's a fantasy (ignore the technical errors).

GSB
September 23, 2003, 01:46 PM
IMHO this was nothing short of an English want to be ripoff of Matrix

And The Matrix was a ripoff of a whole lot of anime that came before. Didn't make it any less fun.

c_yeager
September 26, 2003, 02:57 AM
I just saw this movie today. I was actualy pretty impressed. It was a lot of fun and the action was pretty good. Yeah the mags all hold 1000 rounds and selene's pistols all seem to be full auto. But, one doesnt see a movie like this for its "accuracies". Personally i thought that the principle characters were well developed and i found myself actually caring about how they finished up in the movie.

Asside fromt he lack of vibrant color and the quantity of latex i see little resemblance between this film and the matrix. Unless of course you think that EVERY dark action movie that comes after the matrix is copying it of course.

Futo Inu
September 26, 2003, 03:53 AM
Okie, that must be the "Winchester" drive-in, about 1.5 miles from my house, on Western Ave., no?

Yeah, I like chicks that can open up a can in movies, as opposed to those who yell and scream and throw away perfectly good weapons. One in particular I remember thoroughly enjoying was Long Kiss Goodnight, where Gena Davis was a tactical badazz momma and didn't even know why (amnesia). Samuel Jackson's character said something to her like "What the hell is wrong with you? Just last week you were like, 'Oh, fooey, I burned the darn muffins.' - Now you're killing people!" Ha.

Zach S
September 26, 2003, 11:03 AM
Unless of course you think that EVERY dark action movie that comes after the matrix is copying it of course. I think the coreography(?) and the special effects in the matrix is what brings ppl to compare a lot of other movies to it. I see a lot of scenes in the movies these days that remind of it.

buzz_knox
September 26, 2003, 11:06 AM
I think the coreography(?) and the special effects in the matrix is what brings ppl to compare a lot of other movies to it. I see a lot of scenes in the movies these days that remind of it.

Of course, the Matrix got much of its ideas for fight choreography from Hong Kong action films. They've been doing physics defying hand to hand for years.

Just goes to show, there's nothing new under the sun.

buzz_knox
September 26, 2003, 11:07 AM
looked like the Beretta Combat with extended barrel and barrel weight; that gun is single action only, though.

The Combat has a frame mounted safety, while these used slide mounted safeties, making them compensated 92 standard models.

Zach S
September 26, 2003, 11:20 AM
Of course, the Matrix got much of its ideas for fight choreography from Hong Kong action films. They've been doing physics defying hand to hand for years. IIRC, the choreographers were asian. At first they declined The Matrix offer, but reconsidered.

The Matrix got thier better choreography better known in hollywood by bringing it stateside, and setting higher standards as well (so to speak).

buzz_knox
September 26, 2003, 11:21 AM
The Matrix got thier better choreography better known in hollywood by bringing it stateside, and setting higher standards as well (so to speak).

Nope. They put Ms. Moss in tight, black leather and gave everyone lots of guns. That's how they got better known. ;)

In all honesty, if you added in some doves, the Matrix would be a good John Woo film. Of course, I loved the Matrix and enjoy John Woo flicks, so that's a high compliment.

meathammer
September 26, 2003, 12:53 PM
I saw Underworld last weekend. Loved it. You can nit-pick about little technical details such as realistic reloading, but come on! It's an ACTION flick!

A large portion of the audience are NOT gun-nuts and want excitement. This equates to a large amount of muzzle flash and brass flying around. I enjoyed the variety of weapons used, sans the Desert Eagle that always shows up as the villain weapon of choice.

Critics be darned, this flick did exactly what I hoped it would do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and Kate Beckinsale looked fabulous! ;)

six 4 sure
September 26, 2003, 01:42 PM
I saw this the other night, it was like Buffy the Vamp Slayer with guns, lots of gun. It was great:D :D

six

Abominable No-Man
September 26, 2003, 03:36 PM
I've seen the previews of it. Don't think it's something that's going to turn my crank. The most recent action flick that I saw was "Tears of the Sun", thought it was pretty good. Vampires vs. werewolves......ehhhh..........if
that's your thing, then cool..........think I'll wait for it to come out on DVD, tho.

:rolleyes:

ANM

bogie
September 29, 2003, 12:53 PM
1. It was violent

2. It had a really loud soundtrack

3. It was violent

4. The "Emma Peel" quotient was off the scale

5. It was violent

6. It had mutant critters that couldn't be killed

7. It was violent

8. It had a trailer for the latest film documenting the work of the Umbrella Corporation - looks _really_ good

9. It was violent

10. I think it had a plot

Six out of six Shiners!

MrAcheson
September 29, 2003, 03:44 PM
Saw it saturday. A few thoughts:

The entire movie is shot in this gray bleak light. The cinematography got really boring.
What exactly are the Lycan and Vampire powers? The Vamps have reflections, but they can stick to walls and are strong/fast. They don't seem to be able to change into bats or mist. The Lycans can wolf out at will and are also strong and fast and can claw across walls in wolf form.
Why are the elder vamps "stepping" through time by going to sleep? This was not adequately explained. Seems to me 3 elder vamps is better than one.
Gun handling wasn't realistic but its a vampire/werewolf movie. The real problem is that nobody was really hitting anything. If you're immortal you would have plenty of time to learn to shoot.
Both tribes seemed to have horrible tactics. If you were a werewolf would you crawl slowly across a wall or charge quickly across the floor? Likewise the vampires didn't seem very creative other than the occassional jump, etc.

So if you can successfully unplug your brain, the movie is enjoyable. However if you think to much bad things happen. :D

buzz_knox
September 29, 2003, 03:49 PM
The movie was clearly intended to be part of a series, as evidenced by the final scenes. I think that some of the backstory will be explained later on.

David4516
September 29, 2003, 05:48 PM
"The only one I had any connection to was Lucian, and he died!"

Ya, didn't that suck? I was really hoping that he'd live...

Overall, I thought it was really cool.

Pros:

Hot vampire chicks in skin tight outfits, and they have neat guns. Does it get any cooler than that?

Decent Plot. Sure, it could have been better, but for this kind of movie it wasn't bad.

Cons: (this is a pretty big list but most of it is nit-picking)

Were the vampires really un-dead? It didn't seem like it to me. For example, the part where Lucian stabs the main character chick, and she bleeds and passes out. If she were undead, it wouldn't matter if she lost a little blood, right?

Liquid light? Ya right...

Why can't the vampires see in the dark?

Where do I get those guns that you don't have to reload? I want one...

Shooting the floor out from under you? I don't think so...

What was the deal with the gaurd dogs? Couldn't a vampire just turn into a bat and fly over them?

What did the Lycans have to gain by making a half-breed, other than pissing off Victor?

Penforhire
September 29, 2003, 06:11 PM
I was disappointed. Special effects were great. The monochrome filming was great. Acting was fine. I think the plotting was muddy but I liked the "two branches of one tree" thing between the races. Wayyyy too many details just didn't make sense. The movie's flow felt jumbled, maybe too much left on the editing room floor. People have posted plenty of issues.

Some of my pet peeves:

If lycans are so vulnerable to the death dealers then why are they out at night? Of course, I don't remember seeing any "day" so maybe that's just another unexplained detail.

How is it that untransformed lycans have super-human speed and strength?

Since lycans are also ageless and appear to be an even match in hand-to-hand, how is it that they did not have the upper hand in the six hundered year war, considering vampires can't take sunlight?

Since memories appear to passed from the biter-to-the-bitten in both races, why didn't Selene have a memory of Viktor attacking her family?

Why is it that regeneration was swift in some scenes (lycans popping out silver slugs) and non-existent in others (Selene's wounding by sword).

clipse
September 29, 2003, 06:13 PM
What did the Lycans have to gain by making a half-breed, other than pissing off Victor?

The "half-breed" was supposed to be stronger than even the elders. They needed the half-breed to get rid of the elders so that Lycans and Vampires could coincide all happy-like.

clipse

keederdag
September 29, 2003, 07:59 PM
How come the Half breed (who was supposed to be "stronger Than Both") Did'nt just kick the old guy's @ss. That part I did'nt get. And Is the new leader gonna be half+half because it was a werewolfs blood seeping into his coffin?:confused:

GSB
September 29, 2003, 09:49 PM
Were the vampires really un-dead?

No. The story was pretty clear that they, like the lycans, were the result of a genetic abnormality that appears now to be transmittable.

GSB
September 29, 2003, 09:52 PM
How come the Half breed (who was supposed to be "stronger Than Both") Did'nt just kick the old guy's @ss. That part I did'nt get.

The "old guy" had centuries of experience and power. Although the "half breed" was supposedly physically much stronger, he was made just minutes before. He probably wasn't at his full potential, nor did he have the benefit of experience.

There are plenty of old kendo masters who can playfully beat strong young bucks all day long.

GSB
September 29, 2003, 09:54 PM
Since lycans are also ageless and appear to be an even match in hand-to-hand, how is it that they did not have the upper hand in the six hundered year war, considering vampires can't take sunlight?

The narration at the beginning makes it clear that Lycans only developed the ability to control their transformations over time. It is not unreasonable to assume that by the time this was a common ability, the vampires had more advanced weaponry. Prior to this time, the Lycans' dependence on the full moon for a transformation would have made them even more vulnerable than the vampires.

GSB
September 29, 2003, 09:56 PM
How is it that untransformed lycans have super-human speed and strength?

The abnormality is genetic. It may have physiological effects even in the untransformed state.

GSB
September 29, 2003, 09:59 PM
Since memories appear to passed from the biter-to-the-bitten in both races, why didn't Selene have a memory of Viktor attacking her family?

Was this true of the vampires? Could you jog my memory on the scene? Selene specifically said that the vampires are forbidden from delving into their past for the truth of the start of the war. It was clear that the race memories of the Lycans were transmitted, but I don't recall that being true of the vampires. If if is, then that is clearly a plot hole.

GSB
September 29, 2003, 10:01 PM
Liquid light? Ya right...

Glowsticks are not liquid light?

GSB
September 29, 2003, 10:04 PM
Couldn't a vampire just turn into a bat and fly over them?

In this vampire mythology, they could not transform into bats. Being mythological creatures, the creator is free to improvise their abilities. Joss Whedon's vampires can't transform into bats either.

Penforhire
September 30, 2003, 01:00 AM
GSB,

Selene gave her blood to Viktor and transmitted her memories to him that way. The memory sequence was jumbled because she was not an elder.

If transformantion is not required for lycans to have super-human abilities then my gripe about not having the upper hand still applies before they freed themselves from the moon's influence. Besides, why would vampires have any technological edge if they all are immortal but lycans can operate 24/7 while vampires must avoid the sun?

Skunkabilly
September 30, 2003, 01:57 AM
I like the part where the werewolf guy transforms her P22 into a USP. I gotta find out how to do that! :evil:

GSB
September 30, 2003, 09:11 PM
Selene gave her blood to Viktor and transmitted her memories to him that way. The memory sequence was jumbled because she was not an elder.

Which is exactly why I contend that memories were not automatically transmitted among vampires. It appeared to require a very particular ritual, and even at that it appeared to only be possible to transmit the particular memories desired. It does not appear to be a byproduct of simple biting.

GSB
September 30, 2003, 09:15 PM
Besides, why would vampires have any technological edge if they all are immortal but lycans can operate 24/7 while vampires must avoid the sun?

That's a sticking point with me as well. If the Lycans were originally guardian slaves of the Vampires, they would know them well enough to be able to simply kill them all while they slept during the day. I believe that was a genuine logic hole.

clipse
October 1, 2003, 11:21 AM
. And Is the new leader gonna be half+half because it was a werewolfs blood seeping into his coffin?

Yup. thats what I think. I believe that is why in the end his eyes turned black just like the other warevampire.

Nando Aqui
October 4, 2003, 07:11 PM
Just went to see it after reading (just about) everyone praising it. Didn't quite know what to make out of the movie in the beginning, but it surely got better as it went along, and it turned out to be fine. By the way, if anyone would like to see more (all of) of Kate, don't miss Haunted.

cool45auto
October 5, 2003, 01:53 AM
Finally got to see it tonight. I love stuff like this. Reminded me of The Crow/Matrix/Buffy all together.

I loved the Berettas it kept showing Selene using. They seemed to be shooting in bursts like 93R's but looked like regular 92's with longer slides.

Since Victor is gone and Michael is a half and half does that signal the beginning of peace between the races? And when the other elder is "awaken" will it further symbolize peace because he's half and half? And what happened to Kraven, he just left?

BTW: My favorite part was when Selene would shoot a werewolf and get him on the ground, then stand on them and keep firing!

Gabe
October 9, 2003, 01:08 AM
Just saw it, wow she is hot!

I understand her grandpa was Burmese. Best arguement yet for a quarter Burmese in every English woman. :p

Sooo Hooot!

If you enjoyed reading about "Underworld" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!