Dear Abby:

PDA

Tamara
September 18, 2003, 08:59 PM
Some recent threads have got me wondering; am I a gun snob? I mean, my most expensive gun is a pistol with a suggested retail north of $2k, but my least expensive gun is a milsurp rifle whose Blue Book value can fluctuate by as much as 15% depending on how many rounds are in the magazine. I really love them both. Whatever am I to do?

Signed,

Confused in K-town

If you enjoyed reading about "Dear Abby:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CAP
September 18, 2003, 09:03 PM
You're not a snob. Just selective, and willing to pay for quality tools.

QuickDraw
September 18, 2003, 09:04 PM
Dear Confused in K-Town,
No not at all!
You quite obviously celebrate "gun diversity".
Cheap or expensive.
My advice: go buy yourself another gun!

Abbey

justashooter
September 18, 2003, 09:07 PM
get another gun.

Wild Bill
September 18, 2003, 09:08 PM
Dear Confused in K-town,

Worry not.

If you can still ask the question, and you have the cognitive ability to question your attitudes, then you are indeed not a gun snob.

True gun snobs eschew even the thought that they could be anything but!

Abby
;)

Snowdog
September 18, 2003, 09:10 PM
As long as you can still see the value of inexpensive milsurp rifles and handguns, you're still kosher.

C.R.Sam
September 18, 2003, 09:21 PM
Take two primers and call me in the morning.

Dr. Arby

Standing Wolf
September 18, 2003, 09:51 PM
Dear Confused:

I think you need to speak to your range officer about this problem.

Braz
September 18, 2003, 09:59 PM
:)

Tamera, I wouldn't ever call ya a snob. And not just because you're so well armed. ;) I have always loved your posts about your great collection. I never get the feeling you're bragging, more like sharing with like minded buds. That last Texas six-shooter wasn't a safe queen, but another unusual piece, meant to be shot and enjoyed. Have fun, keep safe.

Preacherman
September 18, 2003, 10:14 PM
Dear Confused,

I'm sensitive to your feelings on so difficult a subject. After all, in these modern times, a girl can't be seen to be affectatious about so fundamental a matter! What would the neighbors think?

I suggest that you look at accessorizing your collection, so as to balance the value issues. For example, that cheap milsurp rifle would probably look absolutely divine wrapped in pink tulle, with highlights in gold lamé, and fastened with genuine butterfly-wing clasps from the Amazon. You could also add a magazine of genuine Third-World-sourced bullets (think of the trade imbalance!), each lovingly hand-polished and etched in faux gold by orphans on the streets of Monrovia. Why, the emotional impact alone should substantially enhance the value of this rifle!

You could also downgrade the appearance of that frightfully expensive pistol, so as to make it appear more plebeian (you are a pleb, aren't you, dear?). I suggest wrapping it in an old tea-towel (well stained from use, of course), with a smidgin of dirt here and there to heighten its poverty-stricken appearance. You could add an empty magazine, suggesting that you can't afford bullets for it. By doing this, you would be enhancing your social consciousness, as well as sending a message to the average inner-city gangster that you truly understand his socio-economic plight, and wouldn't dream of doing something so nasty as shoot him.

I do so hope that my suggestions have helped you in this dilemma...

Yours sincerely,

Abby

jsalcedo
September 18, 2003, 10:14 PM
I think Dear Abby is as rabidly anti-gun as her sister Ann Landers.

Lets see what she has to say:

"Dear Confused, You are a gun nut. turn them all in It's for the children"

Seriously, anything is fair game, my most expensive gun is worth about
10 of my milsurps.

Just go buy a Davis, Lorcin, Highpoint or jennings (nickel plated) and keep it in your range bag so you can prove you are not a gun snob.

twoblink
September 18, 2003, 10:17 PM
Dear Confused..

Snobs collect only certain brands, or items from a certain price range. As your collection is diverse, you are not a snob..

But of course to prove you are not a snob, you really need one of every single gun ever made, that way, it will reconfirm you are not a snob..

Now if you ONLY owned a 50Cal BMG.. that'd make you a snob...

SodaPop
September 18, 2003, 10:22 PM
No.

If you had only been shooting guns for a couple years, I would say you were. I think gun snobs are people that buy a Les Baur-AR or Kimber 1911, as first guns, and look down on everyone else; especially if they don't know how to shoot (i'm sure your as skilled with your shooting as you are with your knowledge of firearms).

You're just being exotic and practical.

Bruce H
September 18, 2003, 10:29 PM
Dear Confused;

Most everybody has fine china or as least special plates. Your situation is no different. Some of the good stuff and lots of the things used everyday. Absolutely normal and not a slob in any respect.

Matt G
September 19, 2003, 02:04 AM
You DO sound like a gun snob! To compensate for the problem, send your Mateba to another Moderator. (Preferably a tall, handsome LEO from N. TX...)

--Best Regards, Abby

TheMotivationalSpeaker
September 19, 2003, 02:36 AM
If you think anything under $200.00 dollars is "junk", you're a gun snob!

Sincerely,

A Rossi owner!

:D

bukijin
September 19, 2003, 02:42 AM
You're only a gun snob if you don't shoot with them.

NIGHTWATCH
September 19, 2003, 02:48 AM
There is tyranny in everything human. So SHINE BABY! ;)

sm
September 19, 2003, 03:10 AM
Dear Confused,
NOPE
You share your collection with others to educate and enlighten. Snobs don't do this. Snobs don't clean 1911's in a sink with soap and water, have hair by "glock ball caps", and for sure don't have your vast knowledge...and not just on firearms.

Arby.

PS...The Dear Abby is good, now when are you gonna do a puzzle? I rarely read Dear Abby...puzzles- yes! I like the quick and easy type.

TheeBadOne
September 19, 2003, 03:16 AM
You are only a gun snob if you look down on other's guns. :cool:

BluesBear
September 19, 2003, 06:40 AM
Dear Confused,

From all that I can tell you are probably one of the least snobbish people I have ever known.

I try not to deal in absolutes such as all or never but your posts are always a pleasure to see.

You are just one of the many people who make this place worth visiting day after day.

TonyB
September 19, 2003, 09:28 AM
Dear Confused,
"you are what you are,you ain't what you ain't"----signed........Dear Abbey---------John Prine

Augustwest
September 19, 2003, 09:46 AM
Now if you ONLY owned a 50Cal BMG.. that'd make you a snob...

Snob, yes - but a snob not to be messed with...

Dain Bramage
September 19, 2003, 10:30 AM
Dear Confused,

Wake up and smell the coffee!

You are who you are, and gosh darnit, that's good enough.

Keep the mix of quality milsurp, middle, and high end, and you will lead a balanced life.

Beat me with a limp noodle! (I just like saying that)

Gabby,

(I'm either the dead one, or the one with Alzheimer's - I can't remember)

Futo Inu
September 19, 2003, 10:46 AM
Yes, you're a gun snob, because those "cheap" milsurps would cost a small fortune to manufacture today, and you're obviously too good for the common man's (woman's) guns, the Jennings and Lorcins. :)

grampster
September 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
Dear Confused,

You obviously need a new hobby. You have become bored because you question your motives and feelings. I suggest you dispose of all of your firearms and take up a new hobby; perhaps old comic books.

PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship me your firearms and I'll see to it that they are put to good use by some, ahem, cough cough, worthy person.

:D Abbby:D

cslinger
September 19, 2003, 11:09 AM
Dear confused,

Buy a Glock or two that should reduce the overall asthetic value and snobbery of your collection so as to bring the Yin back to your Yang. :D

But seriously though,

No gun snob would throw their expensive 1911 in the mud just to prove a point. You likes what you likes and if anybody thinks you area snob for it.......well see rule #1. :cuss:

Dear Glockophiles,

I was just joshing with ya. I love you gooffy little guys really I do. Actually Sheslinger has had her eye on a Glock 27 for some time now and the G30 I owned was a pretty awesome gun. So really don't take offense I was just kidding ya.

Chris

10-Ring
September 19, 2003, 11:30 AM
Dear Confused in K-Town,

SNAP OUT OF IT! :D

MonkeyMan
September 19, 2003, 12:04 PM
But of course to prove you are not a snob, you really need one of every single gun ever made, that way, it will reconfirm you are not a snob..

Too late TwoBlink, this is Tamara we're talking about.:D

Dain Bramage
September 19, 2003, 12:25 PM
I think someone just called me "goofy" and "little". :scrutiny:

One out of two ain't bad!

HULK ANGRY! :D

Baba Louie
September 19, 2003, 12:35 PM
Dear Confused,

I feel your pain. You're obviously compensating for having a small... problem identifying your needs and desires when it comes to things that go bang and satisfy your primeval urgings.

May I suggest therapy in way of building small scale plastic armoured vehicles and collecting long sharp edged instruments. When you begin to lose yourself into that regimen you will find that all is right in your world and high end or low end firestix will fall into their proper place in your life.

Good luck. Please keep me informed in regards to your eventual solution.

Signed,

Adios, Abbey

BigG
September 19, 2003, 01:37 PM
You still need to get a LAR Grizzly autoloader before we can determine your Gun Snobbiness Quotient (GSQ). Please submit a range report at your earliest convenience.

Dr. Quack

Dorrin79
September 19, 2003, 02:05 PM
I am of the opinion that a "gun snob" is someone who judges guns completely based on cost (or possibly by a logo, such as "only H&K's are any good")

Since I have never seen you do that, I must conclude you are not a gun snob. Just someone who owns a lot of nice, expensive guns that I am very jealous of

:D

Litlman
September 19, 2003, 02:21 PM
You are NOT a snob!!!

hillbilly
September 19, 2003, 02:30 PM
Dear Confused,

Bang! Bang-ga-bang-bang-bangity bang bang bang.

Bang bang bang bang click, clack, shrik, click.

Bang bang bang bang bang.

Bang.....

hillbilly

Intune
September 19, 2003, 04:07 PM
Dear Confused, I just conferred with Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Joan d'Arc and Rommel and they agreed that you have the good sense to enjoy that which pleases you. Patton said to tell you that "if it ain't ivory, it ain't squat!" We sent him down the road. Yeah, that one… Again.

Abby

P.S. When high falutin' guests show up unexpectedly, load the milsurp to the brim with inert Buffalo Bore. They'll never know & we'll never tell!
;)

Intune
September 19, 2003, 08:22 PM
OK, maybe Buff Bore is not pricey enough. H&H?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dear Abby:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!