Did I mess up using my passport?

PDA

Trekbike
November 20, 2008, 09:02 AM
The other day I went to the DMV to file for my carry permit. They required you to either bring an original birth certificate or a passport. I figured it would be easier to just use my passport, so I did.

I noticed the clerk typing in info to the computer from my passport, which I assume was my passport number, etc. I was thinking that they would have just used it to prove I was who I said I was.

Now my question. Did they now link the permit to my passport? I travel overseas for business from time to time and some of the countries I go to, like Poland, use their military to control the entry. They always look like they want to start something. They scrutinize you more than your typical "tourist" countries. I would never attempt to take a gun overseas, but now I'm worried that if the permit and passport are linked together, the "hassle" factor now just went up trying to cross the border.

Anyone know if they link the two?

Thanks,
David

If you enjoyed reading about "Did I mess up using my passport?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
daskro
November 20, 2008, 09:16 AM
No, not at all. State and local ccw databases are not connected to a national ccw database, let alone accessed by government agencies outside the United States. Other than watching the clerk typing in your passport number, what makes you think this is even remotely the case?

Trekbike
November 20, 2008, 09:55 AM
Other than watching the clerk typing in your passport number, what makes you think this is even remotely the case?

No specific reason. I just know more and more information is gathered which ultimately can be linked together.

State and local ccw databases are not connected to a national ccw database

So there is no national database? I would have assumed that other states had the ability to see that you had a permit if your DL # is ran. Are you sure?

David

AirForceShooter
November 20, 2008, 10:03 AM
there is no National CCW data base as much as LEO's would love one.
Most States do not even link your CCW to your D/L.

You're cool with the passport.

AFS

Treo
November 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
So there is no national database? I would have assumed that other states had the ability to see that you had a permit if your DL # is ran. Are you sure?

In Colorado they can't tell you have a permit if you're from another county.
Well, that's not entirely accurate but some counties do and some counties don't ( mine doesn't) add the names of CHP holders to a state database. If you're not on a state database you won't be on any national database. Vermont doesn't even require a permit certainly no database for them

daskro
November 20, 2008, 10:48 AM
No specific reason. I just know more and more information is gathered which ultimately can be linked together.
These large databases that are often seen in crime tv shows and movies for the most part do not exist and will not exist for some time. The reasons are both technical and political.

Each agency has their own database system with its own architecture, some use enterprise systems like Oracle, & others use in-house developed database systems. Each of these is a bit different from one another and the whole idea of migrating and normalizing the data from hundreds of databases into one that would allow inter-agency cross platform compatibility would take years to develop and cost billions.

Then there's the political side of it, look at the uproar created by OneDOJ 2 years back. Here is a database that was trying to give state and local authorities automated access to the federal crime database and it's still controversial.

Trekbike
November 20, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys. I feel better.

Regarding TN, they told us in class that if we got pulled over, it is best to notify the LEO that you have a permit on the front end. Otherwise they said they will see you have a permit when they run your DL #, and some LEO's get uptight and make the stop more difficult.

David

DeCocker
November 20, 2008, 03:44 PM
I believe the state of Ohio links your driver's license to your CCW.:mad:

Sinixstar
November 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
These large databases that are often seen in crime tv shows and movies for the most part do not exist and will not exist for some time. The reasons are both technical and political.

Each agency has their own database system with its own architecture, some use enterprise systems like Oracle, & others use in-house developed database systems. Each of these is a bit different from one another and the whole idea of migrating and normalizing the data from hundreds of databases into one that would allow inter-agency cross platform compatibility would take years to develop and cost billions.

Then there's the political side of it, look at the uproar created by OneDOJ 2 years back. Here is a database that was trying to give state and local authorities automated access to the federal crime database and it's still controversial.

Hell - even within the same agencies there's multiple iterations and versions that they can't keep straight. It was reported that there what - like 20-30 versions of the "no fly" list out there. That's maintained by a single agency!

There's also the issue that a lot of these agencies don't like to give up control. Forget national politics, the interagency politics of who controls what and who they give access to is a nightmare onto it's self.

Add in the privacy issues with information sharing, and it really gets tricky. Even more so when you consider every state is different, and is going to have a different way of doing things - so data will vary from state to state. Add in that with a lack of federal permitting - there's really very little case to be made for federal oversight, since it's essentially a state issue - and yea, I don't see this happening any time soon. The writing would be clearly on the wall well in advance if they even thought about doing this.

Erik
November 20, 2008, 07:59 PM
"There is no National CCW data base as much as LEO's would love one."

I think you'd be surprised at how few LEOs support such measures.

akodo
November 21, 2008, 11:46 PM
often they record the number of the passport or whatever ID so they have a paper trail that you actually showed up and had proof of who you were...as opposed to slipping the guy $100 to just give you a permit.

Of course, this is most often encountered when the person providing the birth certificate and or passport is applying for a job. It would be real easy for an illegal to give cash to the hiring agent to fudge the paperwork if next to passport there was just a yes/no checkbox, rather than space where an actual number from the permit gets recorded

If you enjoyed reading about "Did I mess up using my passport?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!