Question on Primers

PDA

glenjoy
November 20, 2008, 10:48 AM
I would like to know if the primer used for cal. .45, .40 and 9mm are the same in sizes or literally, the same.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ditchtiger
November 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
Different sizes, sometimes even with the same caliber

angus6
November 20, 2008, 11:03 AM
.45 uses large primers and 9mm &.40 use small

scrat
November 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
exactly. the 45 uses a large pistol primer. the 9mm and .40 use a small pistol primer. can not interchange them.

rondog
November 20, 2008, 06:45 PM
There are a few types of .45 auto that use small primers, like the Winchester and Federal (?) NT's. Most folks will toss those, but I just separate them out from the regular cases and put small primers in them.

I see no harm in this, but if you're using a progressive press like a Dillon, getting a small primer case in mix will bring your progress to a screeching halt.

I keep the loaded small-primered .45's separate, and when I have enough I'll take them with me on a road trip where I might find a place to shoot where I can't easily pick up my cases. I consider them "disposables".

fguffey
November 21, 2008, 09:21 AM
and there are differences between small primer 'NT" 45 ACPs, the flash hole is smaller in the Winchester.

F. Guffey

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!