waiting period ??

PDA

dunlop
November 20, 2008, 04:34 PM
i am still confused with the waiting period??
Every time i have bought a rifle or pistol i have never waited?? they did a background check and everything, then after about 8 min of filling out the forms and running the check, i was done... is that weird?

If you enjoyed reading about "waiting period ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
caseypj
November 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
What State are you from?

Sinixstar
November 20, 2008, 04:37 PM
waiting periods are somewhat a thing of the past since NICS was up and running. NICS is pretty instant, although at times it does slow down - and you may have to wait an hour or two while a backlog of requests are cleared.
I believe some states have a mandatory 72hr "cooling off" period, but the days of trying to make a purchase and waiting 5-7 days while the FFL sends off for verification are over.

dunlop
November 20, 2008, 04:40 PM
Montana
i even know a guy from FL and he bought a 454 pistol same day?!?! i really think their was something wrong with that one?
god i would have bought that tec 9 for a 150 bucks, but they said i had to wait. and it was in WA

Sinixstar
November 20, 2008, 04:44 PM
Montana
i even know a guy from FL and he bought a 454 pistol same day?!?! i really think their was something wrong with that one?

Nope - mandatory waiting periods were done away with thanks to NICS. Waiting periods were mostly because it took time to do background checks. With technology today - it doesn't take 3 days to do a record search, it can be done within minutes.

NavyLCDR
November 22, 2008, 09:42 AM
Montana
god i would have bought that tec 9 for a 150 bucks, but they said i had to wait. and it was in WA

1. That's because WA has a state mandated waiting period for handguns unless the purchaser is a WA state CPL holder.

2. As a Montana resident you would not have been able to purchase a Tec 9 in WA anyway.

natman
November 23, 2008, 08:15 PM
The **Federal** government is content to let you pass your NICS check and go. However, the **State** government can impose a waiting period if they so choose. California, for example, has a 10 day wait.

natman
November 25, 2008, 09:06 PM
California has a 10 day wait for EVERY gun purchase, even if you own 50 other guns. Even if you are one of the fortunate few who has a CCW. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "waiting period ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!