Anybody here reload Berdan brass??

PDA

taprackbang
November 21, 2008, 01:24 AM
If so, could you fill me in on what's involved?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody here reload Berdan brass??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Linear Thinker
November 21, 2008, 01:34 AM
Reloading Berdan brass is the last-ditch option, for brass that is not obtainable otherwise.

2 challenges:

1. Decapping. There are 2 ways I know of and tried - the claw method, where you pierce the primer and lever it out with a hook. The hydrostatic method (water cannot be compressed) relies on filling the case with water, and smashing a piston into it within a sealed case to drive the primer out. Do you like squirt-gun fights? You will love hydrostatic decapping!

2. Primer source. Since the Dangerous Dave Sutherland, aka Old Western Scrounger - retired, I have not seen any berdan primers for sale in the US. They were expensive even when available. I read of PMC importing the Berdan primers several years ago, never saw any for sale.

I used to reload the Swiss 7.5mm military brass before the Norma-made boxer primed brass became available. Never again.
LT

scrat
November 21, 2008, 01:45 AM
good luck finding primers

Remo-99
November 21, 2008, 06:02 AM
They are most definately a chore, to decap and source primers.

There would have to be no other options left, before I would reload Berdan primed cases, also.

evan price
November 21, 2008, 11:55 AM
Got Berdan primers?

No?

Not worth it, otherwise.

Berdan primers are larger than Boxer, too. So you can't just drill out the brass to fit the Boxers.

ants
November 21, 2008, 12:57 PM
taprackbang was just asking about the process. He deserves a more thorough answer.

taprackbang, do a 'Berdan' search and look for two or three threads (September I think?) that covered the subject. The techniques were discussed in greater depth. I may be wrong, but if my memory is correct I think one of the threads may have a link to a separate technical article on the subject.

taprackbang
November 21, 2008, 02:42 PM
Do you like squirt-gun fights? You will love hydrostatic decapping!

That's hilarious! Thanks Ant for the thread info.
The reason I ask is because at the gun store I work at, they had an RCBS depriming die for berdan brass. It looked interesting.

moosehunt
November 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
Add to all the other hassel that there are 3 or 4 different sizes of Berdan primers, physically different sizes, not power different.

marsofold
November 21, 2008, 03:57 PM
How to convert berdan primer brass to use boxer primers:

http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html

Never tried it myself...

RedeyeGunner
November 21, 2008, 07:55 PM
I always ordered my Berdan supplies from Huntington. They had all sizes for all calibers. Check them out.

taprackbang
November 21, 2008, 09:09 PM
good info guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody here reload Berdan brass??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!