Mr. Vern Humphrey, paging Mr. Vern Humphrey:)

PDA

Still 2 Many Choices!?
November 21, 2008, 11:21 AM
Well I would like to ask a favor if I could. I always here the short version of how your first encounter with the " plastic fantastic" M-16, ended with said firearm "wrapped around a tree", and it makes me smile:) ! I was hoping to get a more full story from you about that "accident" and how you procured an M14 to finish your time with. I know you are probably busy, but what say you Uncle Vern? Can we have a story....... Please:o

Still 2 Many Choices!?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mr. Vern Humphrey, paging Mr. Vern Humphrey:)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
November 21, 2008, 11:33 AM
Actually, it was an M2 carbine. This was the standard issue weapon for Advisers in the mid-60s.

We walked into a base camp, and most people ahead of me went down when a claymore went off. I shot a guy, hit him but he didn't fall, and got a "click" on the second shot. The round wasn't a stopper and the bolt didn't fully lock for the second shot.

For a while, I was pretty busy, but had several more "clicks" and another failure to stop. Then I went to my privately-owned Colt M357, which dropped the next guy pretty nicely.

Afterwards, I trashed the carbine against a tree and borrowed a Garand rifle and carried that.

On my next tour, I was a company commander, and was not impressed by the M16. I bullied my battalion commander into getting me two M14 sniper rifles (this was pre-M21.) I had one man in the company who had been through sniper school, and I took the other for myself.

Medusa
November 21, 2008, 12:36 PM
Vern, you surely are a fellow with whom to sit around a bonfire and share stories. Hat's off to ya.

But I feel your "pain", my duty weapon is also a M14 (who said it's extinct by 2008), and I like it more than anything else I've got to handle and shoot.

R.S

Vern Humphrey
November 21, 2008, 12:42 PM
The M14 and its predecessor, the M1 were and are fine rifles. They're what I'd choose to carry in combat today.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mr. Vern Humphrey, paging Mr. Vern Humphrey:)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!