Dissassembling SIG 556

PDA

kestak
November 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
Greetings,

I was able to dissassemble everything easilly except the piston tube on my SIG 556. (And I am not unfamiliar with firearms. I can dissassemble my AK and my fs2000 easilly)

I can't figure it out even with the book instructions. I am sure it is a small detail:

It it my understanding that to remove the piston tube, you need to remove the quad rail handguard. In the book, they say pull the lower part of the quad rail down then to the rear. I can't make this work.

Can someone try to explain in great details what I should do to remove the quadrail? Some pictures would be great!

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Dissassembling SIG 556" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SimpleIsGood229
November 21, 2008, 04:17 PM
The only help I can give is suggesting you visit www.sigforum.com . Those guys can definitely help you.

kestak
November 21, 2008, 07:09 PM
Greetings,

ok, I called SIG and the guy told me there is no pin, just pull to the back the lower part. He said sometimes it is hard and using a rubber hammer may be helpful. I did that and I can't still make the lower part go back more than 1/8 of an inch. ANyone has a trick in his hat for me? I am desesperate.

another question: if I can't remove it, can I do a good cleaning job still with the gas tube in place and not removing it? Just cleaning it in the rifle?

Thank you

Destructo6
November 22, 2008, 05:27 AM
Did you separate the upper receiver from the lower?

If not, there is no way to remove the lower half of the handguard.

kestak
November 22, 2008, 10:47 AM
Greetings,

The guy at SIG DID NOT tell me I had to remove the screw.... I was able to remove it.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Dissassembling SIG 556" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!