Lithuanian v. South African 7.62x51

PDA

Lone_Gunman
November 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
How does the Lithuanian surplus compare to South Africa? The Lithuanian would cost about 10 cents a round more, but is in a reloadable case, and was made in the last couple of years. The SA is Berden primed, so not reloadable, and is from the early 80s, but costs less.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lithuanian v. South African 7.62x51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
November 22, 2008, 12:20 AM
The South African one is almost guaranteed to be corrosive-primed, for starters. Second, it's from South Africa, so the quality can't exactly be good. I'd choose ammo from the worst European nation over anything out of Africa. Lithuanian all the way.

bonza
November 22, 2008, 12:48 AM
All the South African 7.62x51 ammo I've seen is NON-corrosive. Here's a link to some:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/South_African_.308_NATO_147grn_FMJ.html

I have a good supply of South african mil-surp .303 British & it is very nice ammo. I wouldn't hesitate buying more.

Lone_Gunman
November 22, 2008, 12:49 AM
I have never heard anything bad about SA ammo until that. Are you sure its corrosive primed? I have never heard that before.

Ringtail
November 22, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have a good supply of both. The SA shoots better in my rifle. No problems with corrosion.

elmerfudd
November 22, 2008, 01:31 AM
South African is non-corrosive and fairly decent as far as surplus ammo goes, but Lithuanian is much better. Lithuanian is actually new production, not surplus, and it's Boxer primed to boot so you can reload it. Good brass too.

As far as African vs. European goes, South Africa was in many ways a far more developed country than anything on the east side of the iron curtain and there is hardly any commie ammo that is even in the same league with it. South African ammo is non-corrosive, brass cased, properly packaged and it goes bang every time. The only East European surplus that I would rank up there with it would be 7N1 and while that might be more accurate, it's still corrosive and steel cased.

lipadj46
November 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
The SA 7.62 Nato is not corrosive. In my experience it is not the most accurate but it's decent. In fact I just bought another battle pack just to bolster my supply. The SA is Berdan primed and therefore not reloadable. The lithuanian I have never shot but have heard only good things about it and it is boxer primed and therefore reloadable.

mordechaianiliewicz
November 22, 2008, 01:37 AM
The South African ammo is actually fantastic stuff. It is (atleast in my experience) equal to Hirtenberger and Radway Green. But, your mileage may vary, and it's hard to say if it will be as accurate as certain better quality stuff.

goon
November 22, 2008, 09:05 AM
In my experience the SA stuff has been excellent ammo. My best group with it was 7/8" center to center at 100 yards with iron sights in a FAL. Most groups with it were around the 1.5 inch mark at that range.

But I think the Litiuanian is a better choice currently. All of the SA stuff is more than 20 years old. The Lithiuanian is all pretty recent production and it's reloadable. It also gets very good accuracy for most people. I'd get it instead.

lipadj46
November 22, 2008, 09:25 AM
The SA in the battle packs stored in a cool dry place should last for at least 50 years as long as the cardboard is not acidic. So even the late 70's stuff should have at least another 20 years left in them. I have WCC nato stuff from 1965 that I shoot now that I never have problems with and I wish I could get more for what I paid for it. At the time everyone turned their noses up at it now the guy is getting twice what I paid for it 5 months ago.

Lone_Gunman
November 22, 2008, 09:38 AM
So is everyone in agreement that the statement by Mike the Wolf that "The South African one is almost guaranteed to be corrosive-primed, for starters" is incorrect?

Just trying to sort the truth from the BS... the errornet sometimes makes it difficult to get real info.

lipadj46
November 22, 2008, 09:46 AM
You will not find any corrosive surplus military 7.62 Nato ammunition on the market today as everyone (except for the eastern block and that does not matter as we are talking NATO ammo) stopped making corrosive ammo in the 1950s. So if it has the Nato cross on it and is dated after 1950 it is non-corrosive. There is only one guy on gunbroker that I have seen selling corrosive 308 and it is non-military S&B ammo from 1980.

HankB
November 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
The South African one is almost guaranteed to be corrosive-primed, for starters. Second, it's from South Africa, so the quality can't exactly be good. No and no. SA ammo is non-corrosive, and South Africa is the most civilized country on that continent - I've been there - and even under majority rule it hasn't had time to devolve the way Zimbabwe has. They make good munitions, and I've found that their ammo shoots more accurately out of my StG-58 than does the highly-touted Australian milsurp that made its way to our shores in recent years.

I stocked up on battlepacks at ~$27, and only wish I'd bought more . . . battlepacks were going for $100 :what: at the last gun show I attended.

I also bought some Lithuanian ammo, and though I haven't fired it yet, it looks good . . . and by all reports, it IS good stuff.

jonnyc
November 22, 2008, 09:58 AM
"Mike the Wolf" should stick to things he has a clue about. Nato ammo is not one of them. South African 7.62 Nato is NON-corrosive and some of the BEST surplus out there. Priced similarly, the only reason I would buy the Lithuanian is that it is reloadable brass.

MIL-DOT
November 22, 2008, 01:07 PM
Though the issue's pretty much been resolved, I'll chime in too and say I also have been very happy with the non-corrosive S.A. 7.62. I was also getting it from the rifle/psitol club on Ft. Benning for $27 a battle pack, and wish I'd stashed more than just the one I have left.

goon
November 22, 2008, 01:18 PM
So is everyone in agreement that the statement by Mike the Wolf that "The South African one is almost guaranteed to be corrosive-primed, for starters" is incorrect?

Yep. South African is non-corrosive. I've shot a lot of it and never had a problem with just a regular cleaning.
IIRC, there is some Czech made 7.62x51 floating around but that's the only 7.62 I've heard of that's corrosive primed.

The SA in the battle packs stored in a cool dry place should last for at least 50 years as long as the cardboard is not acidic. So even the late 70's stuff should have at least another 20 years left in them. I have WCC nato stuff from 1965 that I shoot now that I never have problems with and I wish I could get more for what I paid for it. At the time everyone turned their noses up at it now the guy is getting twice what I paid for it 5 months ago.

True but the same is true of Litiuanian ammo.
It's packed about the same way as SA, sealed in a pack the same way, and 20 years newer.
That adds that many more years worth of storage and you can reload it or sell the brass for something other than scrap. I liked the SA but the only way I'd buy it over Lith. would be if I got a smoking deal or it was all that was available (in which case, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed).
I also have shot some vietnam war era 7.62x51 ammo though with no problems.

lipadj46
November 22, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yes the lithuanian is generally considered by everyone to be better ammo (newer, more accurate, re-loadable). It is generally more expensive though even more so now. In the past few weeks the lith seemed to jump up in price while the SA stayed about the same.

elmerfudd
November 22, 2008, 02:02 PM
Even the corrosive Czech ammo is good stuff. The only ammo I have found that groups better out of my Saiga 308's are handloads. Federal Gold Medal shoots about the same in my Saiga's as the Czech stuff. I'm sure that it would do better out of my Remington LTR, but I'm not going to bother shooting old corrosive ammo out of that to find out.

Lone_Gunman
November 22, 2008, 02:02 PM
Who has the best prices on Lithuanian 308 right now?

lipadj46
November 22, 2008, 02:15 PM
Who knows at this point, Wideners used to be good but they look like they are sold out, they do have some Igman (Yugo) which is great stuff for $97 a battle pack may want to jump on that. Ammoman had cases of lith. for decent prices but who knows. Aim Surplus still has SA listed for $60 a battle pack. There are a couple sites that keep track of 7.62 Nato sellers and the prices so google around for that.

vanfunk
November 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
The South African one is almost guaranteed to be corrosive-primed, for starters. Second, it's from South Africa, so the quality can't exactly be good. I'd choose ammo from the worst European nation over anything out of Africa. Lithuanian all the way.

As has been noted, South African surplus 7.62mm ammunition is absolutely not loaded with corrosive primers. The remark about its quality isn't correct, either. South African military ammo is loaded to very high standards, certainly the equal to anything made in Europe. Despite its obvious and notable social challenges lo these many years, South Africa has always had a highly advanced manufacturing infrastructure, which includes arms and ammunition production.

HTH,

vanfunk

Average Joe
November 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
If you plan to reload go with the Lith. ( reloadable brass). If not then either will be fine. I have shot both, and can't really tell the difference.

LegalAlien
November 22, 2008, 06:06 PM
Quote:

As has been noted, South African surplus 7.62mm ammunition is absolutely not loaded with corrosive primers. The remark about its quality isn't correct, either. South African military ammo is loaded to very high standards, certainly the equal to anything made in Europe. Despite its obvious and notable social challenges lo these many years, South Africa has always had a highly advanced manufacturing infrastructure, which includes arms and ammunition production.

As an ex South African that did my stint in the South African Army during the late 60's with an R1 (FAL clone), I can attest to the quality and accuracy of their product. It might not be totally High Road, but Mike the Wolf only expressed his total lack of knowledge with that post and he should restrict himself to issues he knows (or thinks he knows) about.

vanfunk, thank you for your correction.

Lone_Gunman
November 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hey what happened to Mike anyway? He kind of did a hit and run!

navajo
November 22, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'll take all the SA I can get.
AR 10s, M1As, and one FAL eat it eagerly.

jonnyc
November 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
Kind of funny, this is the quote on MikeTheWolf's profile:

"I educate and correct people whenever possible. My motto is, "Ignorant until proven stupid."

The Wiry Irishman
November 22, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've almost finished off a case of the Lithuanian stuff. I only shot my FAL from the bench once with it, and I managed a ~1.5 inch 15 shot group at 100 yards with it. It shoots much cleaner than the only other thing I have to compare it with, the Yugo Igman.

I've never shot any of the South African, but a friend of mine has shot a case and has another couple squirreled away, and he's incredibly happy with it.

ToadPS
November 22, 2008, 11:14 PM
I just ordered 1k of Lithu from Ammoman yesterday for $549 delivered. That's about the best price I could find and I didn't find many places that even had ANY surplus 7.62x51 Nato.

Anyone have any current leads/prices on SA mil-surp? I'd like to get about 1k of that as well and do my own comparo.

I don't see prices going anywhere but up, unfortunately.

wep45
November 22, 2008, 11:52 PM
labas........Lithuanian all the way........please pass the kugelis and virtiniai:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Lithuanian v. South African 7.62x51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!