Russian 1938

PDA

regal
November 22, 2008, 11:20 AM
I picked up a russian 1938 from my local FFL, I over paid but no one else has one around here. This has a Centry Arms pin stamped on the reciever. At the end of the barrel the bore is wide for about an inch, is this a counter bore? Does the counter bore affect accuracy for an average shooter ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian 1938" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dispatch55126
November 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds like it was counter bored. If won't negatively effect accuracy and in some cases improves it.

Z71
November 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
I have one that is substantialy counterbored, maybe an 1 1/2" or so. The rest of the bore is noticably worn and pitted. I also just bought one that has a nice clean, new looking bore. Both M38's shoot just fine.

regal
November 22, 2008, 12:59 PM
I paid $165 (ouch) because the stock was pristine and the bluing 100%. I figured after paying shipping and transfer fees I would be near $150 if I went the gunbroker route. The bore is fairly shiney on this one and it came with a sling.

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian 1938" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!