My Old/New Christmas present from my two sons!!!

PDA

bigmike45
November 23, 2008, 08:10 AM
Back when you could pick up an SKS for less that $100 new in box, I decided to invest in my first and only semi-auto rifle a Russian model. I needed a throw behind the seat, and not worry about damage, truck gun. There were times when I went out to check the cattle I came across an wayward hog rooting up my hay patch or a bobcat/coyote stalking one of the newborn calves. The SKS was accurate enough to take care of those pests and was a hoot to shoot. I have probably put over 2000 rounds of different ammo through this gun and never had a problem with it. I call it my Timex Gun....takes a likin' & keeps on tikin!!

Well my oldest son asked to borrow it to go hog hunting with his friends about two months ago. Yesterday both sons came to the house to "return" the gun, as dad's christmas present. I am just blown away at what they did. I never thought the old warhorse could look so amazing.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/sks002-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My Old/New Christmas present from my two sons!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr White
November 23, 2008, 09:25 AM
I used to be a real purist when it came to old milsurps, and would have been the first person to criticize any customizing job on any old gun. But lately I've come to the realization that life's too short to not get the most enjoyment you can from your guns. From the looks of your 'new' sks, I'm guessing that you'll get tons of enjoyment from it. Looking at it with my newfound openmindedness, I must say that its a pretty damn cool looking gun. I hope you and your boys have lots of fun with it!

SHusky57
November 23, 2008, 09:26 AM
you know, that really looks good.
I wish I had grabbed an SKS back when they were $100.

MRIman
November 23, 2008, 09:36 AM
Your setup is not my thing. That's what AK's and AR's are for.

Make sure your sons keep/give back the OEM parts for your SKS.
As a collector they took an @ $400 gun and turned it into $200!!!

This is just my 2 cents.

armoredman
November 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
Interesting, but the only thing I would say is make sure those aftermarket detachable mags work right - most of the ones I tried never did. Otherwise, if you are happy, great! Looks pretty awesome.

Mr White
November 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
MRIman, from a strictly monetary view, you MAY be correct. Is every run of the mill SKS a collectible gun? Is it a sin to put a sporter stock on a $75 Mosin because it'll ruin its collectors value? If a new stock, a scope and a few detachable mags will make the gun more enjoyable for bigmike and his boys, then I say it was money well spent.

Now there are lines to be drawn. If the gun had a 3 digit s/n or some verifible historical significance, then yeah, keep it intact. But IMO, every SKS, Mosin or Mauser ever made does not need to be kept in pristine condition.

mio
November 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
looks great and a very thoughtfull gift to take the time to dress it up for you

NCsmitty
November 23, 2008, 10:05 AM
Looks sweet! I'm sure it put a smile on your face when you saw it. You have great kids that gave you a memory that you'll never forget. You are truly blessed.

NCsmitty

Shawnee
November 23, 2008, 10:54 AM
Ya got a nice rifle and a couple GREAT kids there ! Enjoy them all !

:cool:

bigmike45
November 23, 2008, 12:34 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your insights and opinions. I too am a bit of a purist, but this gun was bought for a reason...to be a beater and not necessarily for any collectors value. It will still ride behind the seat of my truck, but now in a behind the seat mounted gun rack. The fact that my sons did this, on their own for me, is what is so special. It could have been done on my old Benjamin air rifle and been just as special to me.

jpwilly
November 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
Nice SKS by the way. I do what I want with my firearms as well but would never sproterize my original 1903 etc. Many firearms will eventually be collectable IMO. As the years go it becomes difficult to find good originals. The collector should be glad people do as they please with their firearms. If all were preserved they would not be rare or collectable.

againstthagrane
November 23, 2008, 03:19 PM
who cares about future value?

to me that's the same mentality as really old people who buy nice furniture and cover it with clear plastic? what's the point of buying something nice if you cna't enjoy it the way you want it? you want to keep your gun "nice" so someone else can enjoy it later? lame.

congrats on the gun, i would gladly pay more for your sks than a boring wood stocked one. i'm sure you'd never sell a gift from your kids though.

bigmike45
November 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
againstthagrane,

I would never sell anything given to me by my sons, especially something that they took the time to make better than the original, themselves. If you had seen the rifle originally, after riding behind the seat, and sometimes in other not so protected places, they really had their work cut out for them. I have had a great time shooting that gun and now will enjoy it even more. I am blessed to have two very fine sons and I thank God every day for them. When I have gone to the great gunrange in the heavens, they can enjoy my firearms. As I buy more I rewrite my will as to who gets what. I have to quit buying guns, its expensive and so is the will rewrite.....:D

expvideo
November 24, 2008, 10:29 AM
It's an SKS, who cares about the collector value?!

I think your sons did a very good job of modernizing your rifle for you. In fact, even though I'm not huge on aftermarket parts, I think this was done very tastefully. It looks good! I hope you enjoy it.

transformerguru
November 24, 2008, 11:04 AM
bigmike you have a couple of great kids!!! Enjoy your new/old present. I like it and it shows your kids love you.

Frank A
November 24, 2008, 12:59 PM
Congrats, You have what I am sure any father would say is a million dollar gun and sons that are priceless.

Good Sons come from Good Fathers, you've done well.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Old/New Christmas present from my two sons!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!