My New Smith & Wesson 637

PDA

andyffer
November 23, 2008, 02:48 PM
This weekend I went to the gun club and picked up one of these 2" .38
They were basically giving them away!
$349.99 + the $30 coupon from S&W
PLUS I got a free trigger job from the man who does them at Smith & Wesson.
That right there is a $140 job, I got free.
So basically I got a $479.99 + $140 = $619.99
For $349.99! If anyone is in the Phoenix area COME TO THIS!!!

I have yet to shoot it though. So now review yet.
Here are some pictures of it...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/DSCN0434.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/DSCN0436.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/DSCN0439.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/DSCN0440.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/DSCN0441.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My New Smith & Wesson 637" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikePGS
November 23, 2008, 02:53 PM
Nice looking gun. What cartridges are those? I don't know if I've ever seen red ones... snap caps?

andyffer
November 23, 2008, 02:55 PM
exactly, snap caps.
I dont know what maker.
You could probably just search A-ZOOM snap caps.

They are the same size and everything of the .38 special but not the same weight. I wish they were

MikePGS
November 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
I really like the way the airweights look, very nice pictures. Does the hammer make it any more difficult to conceal over say a 642?

andyffer
November 23, 2008, 03:09 PM
^ I dont think so. I always put my hand around the grip and thumb on the hammer. No snags what-so-ever.
I like having the hammer because as I am pulling it out of my pocket I can be pulling it back ready for a quick shot.
It takes the lightest little pull to shoot when the hammer is pulled.

MikePGS
November 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
Very nice :)

indiandave
November 23, 2008, 05:40 PM
A very nice gun. Now get a Mika pocket holster and with a little practice she'll never let you down.

Kevinch
November 23, 2008, 08:45 PM
I dont think so. I always put my hand around the grip and thumb on the hammer. No snags what-so-ever.
I like having the hammer because as I am pulling it out of my pocket I can be pulling it back ready for a quick shot.
It takes the lightest little pull to shoot when the hammer is pulled.
:what:

Ala Dan
November 23, 2008, 09:12 PM
Nice weapon, purchased at an excellent price~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

Angus Lincoln
November 24, 2008, 09:54 PM
I like my 637 a lot. I bought it brand new 2 years ago for $325. That shows you how much prices have gone up in that time. I can't imagine wanting the single action trigger pull any lighter than it is/was. Do yourself a favor and be very careful how you unload the cylinder;on account of a short extractor, be sure you count 5 rounds in your hands before you try any kind of dry firing. Don't ask me how I know this. I'll just say that it's a good thing I obeyed most of the 4 rules of gun safety and no one got hurt except a pair of Fruit of the Looms!

JayL
November 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Great pictures, BTW!
I've had a 637 for about a month. Easy to carry, and I love the looks of a snubby. Really my first carry gun. Light, but once you've put a couple hundred rounds through it, it's fine. Mine has the crimson trace grips - I like them a lot, but practice mostly w/o them. As I'm getting used to the gun, I'm finding +P a bit stout, so sticking with 38 SPL at this point. Looking forward to taking my daughter out to shoot with it this weekend!

DenLee
November 25, 2008, 10:00 PM
Nice pics. I have one and trimmed down the hammer a bit and put a CT on it. I have it loaded with Buffalo Boar 158's for the first and last round. They kick but are the best rounds I have found.

jaydubya
November 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
I bought my 637 six years ago with Crimson Trace 305 grips. I also bought a box of Cor Bon +p 115gr HPs (Sierras I think). After firing five rounds of that stuff, I swore on the spot I would never do that again. And I haven't. That ammo is now in my 686+. Mine is now loaded with Remington LSWCHP, the softest lead version of the FBI load, and therefore the most likely to expand out of a snubby. It is stashed in a secret place.

I thought I needed snapcaps to dry fire, and bought them too. You don't. Just go ahead and snap on empty holes. Have you fired it yet? HOOWAH!

Cordially, Jack

Smith & Wesson Man
November 25, 2008, 10:44 PM
nice pick-up

andyffer
November 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
what kind of grips should I get?

Im a small guy. 5' 11" ~125-130 lbs

andyffer
November 26, 2008, 12:37 AM
uncle mikes?
where do I order those from?

indiandave
November 26, 2008, 09:35 AM
You can order them from the S&W website. Also look at the Crimson Trace Laser Grips they are compact and have a covered backstrap.

andyffer
November 26, 2008, 09:53 AM
Well, the CT are too expensive for me...
How about these?
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12994&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=46303&training=

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12996&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=46303&training=

I want a pair that wont hurt my hand as much as the stock.
Not that I have shot with them yet, but this weekend I will.

jfh
November 26, 2008, 11:22 AM
andyffer: The issue of what grips to get really should be about "what grips fit my hand best?" Do a search in this forum (use google and a phrase like "j-frame," or "j-frame grips,"--you get the idea. Or, scan the 640 / M&P340 threads.

It sounds to me like you want a grip that covers the frame at the backstrap. For a (non-pocket-carry) grip that is highly thought of, consider the Hogue Monogrip. At least, that's a good starting spot.

Jim H.

MAKster
November 26, 2008, 12:53 PM
Regarding grips the main question is whether you want ones that cover the backstrap. That really reduces the recoil but makes the gun larger. In covered backstraps look at the Pachmayr Compac, the Hogue Monogrip, and the Uncle Mikes Combat grips. The Monogrips in my opinion are too large. If you want small grips just keep the boot grips that came with the gun or look at the Pachmayr Compac Pro or Hogue Bantam.

indiandave
November 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
Go for the Uncle Mike's combat grips. you hands will thank you. when I put them on my 642 they still hide in my front pocket.

andyffer
November 26, 2008, 10:32 PM
how does the recoil of this compare
to a 1911 .45?

andyffer
November 30, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well...
We went and shot it yesterday! The recoil is nothing. So those of you warning people about recoil.... stop

Not bad accuracy.
One thing I did notice after we were done shooting is how dirty it gets!
How am I suppose to clean this thing?! I dont want the burnt edges on the cylinder. I know how to clean the barrel and inside the cylinder. But the finish... how do I keep that clean?

Anyways... I LOVE THIS GUN!!!

jfh
November 30, 2008, 10:51 AM
Per S&W CS recommendations, use the Hoppe's "Elite" products. These are some of the 'new' environmentally-friendly recipes--which will require more scrubbing. Use HD nylon brushes, and / or bronze on the forcing cone. It's ok to use a lead removal cloth on the cylinder face.

I suspect the finish is like that of the 642, et.al.--that is, not as durable. That's not really an issue, given the S&W lifetime warranty to the original purchasor.

Jim H.

rklessdriver
December 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
What ammo did you use for this "nothing of recoil" you speak of?

Anything other than WWB 130gr MC or lightly loaded wadcutters out of my little Smith Model 36 is pretty painful on the hand after 25-50rounds.
Will

krs
December 1, 2008, 04:02 PM

See the photo. He shoots that pink sailor ammo. :D

spiroxlii
December 1, 2008, 05:48 PM
I got one back in July, and I am seriously envious of the price you found! I love mine. I'm sitting in a coffee shop wearing it right now as I type this on my laptop. It's the most comfortable gun I've ever worn/carried, and after a lot of practice, I actually enjoy shooting it. My accuracy still leaves much to be desired in DA, but a trigger job might help with that. In SA, it's pretty good, but I have to aim slightly low (which I hear is common with snubnose revolvers).

I practice with (and sometimes carry) Atlanta Arms & Ammo 124gr standard pressure JHP rounds, since they are almost as cheap as flat-nose TCJ, WC, or FMJ "range ammo." When I can afford it, I use standard pressure Hornady XTP/JHP ammo in mine. It's 124 or 125gr. I can't remember at the moment. The recoil isn't terrible, but I'm not really recoil sensitive anymore. It's not the most comfortable gun to fire, but I don't end up with the awful sore hand that others seem to complain about.

andyffer
May 1, 2010, 10:20 PM

Anything other than WWB 130gr MC or lightly loaded wadcutters out of my little Smith Model 36 is pretty painful on the hand after 25-50rounds.

Well it snaps in the hand but nothing like its been put out to be.

I grabbed the Hogue grips and man so much better. The wrap around gets rid of that snap and the 3rd groove for the finger is much nicer. Not sure about conceal carry with it.

I want to pick up a S&W 686 now lol

huduguru
May 9, 2010, 09:12 PM
Wow, after a year and a half, the OP brings his own thread back to life
by answering a question. Good show 'ole chap. :)

Here is my new Bodyguard. I almost bought the 637 but it's going to
be a dedicated pocket gun so I didn't want to worry about snagging.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yerscattergun/Roof-8208.jpg

GojuBrian
May 10, 2010, 06:25 AM
WOW! You got a smokin' deal there and a little snubbie to be proud of.
Good job! :cool:

Nematocyst
September 19, 2010, 09:36 PM
Good to see this thread was alive only 6 months ago.
Let me resuscitate it once more.

I found this while doing a search in "revolvers" for "637".

I'm interested in one. More below.

First, good to see reviews here on it. I own a 642.
Mine wears Hogue Monogrips because I don't pocket carry. (OWB).
I can shoot 100 hot +p without any discomfort and great control. Highly recommended.

Now, to the 637. I want an air weight .38 spl with an exposed hammer.
I understand the reasoning for no exposed hammer. But again, I don't pocket carry.

But here's where my real difference comes in: I want a 637 with a 2.5" barrel (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766326_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y).

My reasoning here is lengthy, and not completely relevant.
(Short story: I want a longer sight radius for slightly longer shots
than with a sub-2" snub, and the SA will help with precision on those longer shots.)

Questions:

* Will the extra 0.5" result in greater or lesser velocity/ft.lb than the shorter barrel?
* If so, by how much?
* If ammo dependent, please explain.

MikePGS
September 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
The answer is, it depends. Some guns just propel the projectile faster than others, even if the same model even if they are the very next gun created on the assembly line. There's a pretty interesting site called http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com on which the creators of the site took a thompson single shot pistol and used a good number of barrels and clocked different rounds at different barrel lengths. On this page http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html you can see that going by the thompson barrel that sometimes even a shorter barrel can clock at a higher speed. The different is larger at shorter lengths, but you "might" get something like 50 fps or so more with the extra inch of barrel. You might get even more, you might get less. So really the answer is you'll "probably" get more fps, but it most likely isn't going to be especially significant.

Nematocyst
September 19, 2010, 09:58 PM
Very interesting, Mike. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "My New Smith & Wesson 637" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!