If you own a RRA Rifle...

PDA

biggiesmalls
November 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
can you look inside the pistol grip and tell me what kind of screw that is? i want to change my hogue grip to an ergo grip but i can't figure out what to use to remove it. looks like a torque but i'm not sure. i just know its not phillips, flat, hex, allen,... it's a circle with spikes (forgive my layman's description)

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "If you own a RRA Rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
November 23, 2008, 04:48 PM
If it is a circle with spikes, it is a Torx screw.

Torx screwdivers: T 25 & T 27

gotime242
November 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
Pretty sure its allen/hex.

Walkalong
November 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
He said he knows it is not an Allen, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, even though that is what I thought it would be as well.

biggiesmalls
November 23, 2008, 05:32 PM
no it's not allen. i have a complete set of allens and it's not it. it's a ring with spikes on the outside.

Walkalong
November 23, 2008, 05:34 PM
Too bad you are not nearby, you could borrow my Torx set, but I bet someone around there has one.

biggiesmalls
November 23, 2008, 05:41 PM
thanks for the offer walkalong. i'm just gonna go to the hardware store and pick one up. i'm feeling rather inadequete right now as a man without a complete set of tools, haha. thanks everyone!

boredelmo
November 23, 2008, 07:26 PM
ive got torx if you need it. ive got some new stuff too if you want to check things out.

Coronach
November 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
I have an RRA. IIRC, it's a torx, but it's been a while. I replaced it with a MIAD, so I'm no use to you (dunno where the original screw/bolt was placed) to confirm.

Mike

benEzra
November 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
A ring with spikes around the outside is a special type of Torx bit (I don't know what it's called, but the same type of screw is used on most automotive Mass Air Flow sensors). The bit looks like a regular Torx bit but is drilled out in the middle.

Advance Auto sells a screwdriver bit set for $10 or $20 that includes a full set of that kind of hollow-core Torx bit, IF that's what it is.

Walkalong
November 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
The bit looks like a regular Torx bit but is drilled out in the middle.Tamper proof Torx if the screw has a post in the middle. That is why the tamper proof Torx screwdrivers/bits have a hole drilled in the middle, so it can fit over the post.

jrou111
November 23, 2008, 09:47 PM
I just went and looked at my RRA AR-15, and it's got a hex screw in the handgrip.

navajo
November 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
Changed mone with a 3/16" long shank allen wrench.

gotime242
November 24, 2008, 01:52 PM
He said he knows it is not an Allen, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, even though that is what I thought it would be as well.

Ok, when i posted that i had my RRA next to me, with a allen in the handel. So i dont know what to say, i was just too lazy to find the size.

The star around/under mine is just a washer/lock washer.

SwampWolf
November 28, 2008, 01:48 AM
So is there a consensus as to which type driver he needs?

JDGray
November 28, 2008, 07:18 AM
The Bolt is 1/4 x 28 NF. Should be an Allen head with a lock washer. If theres a metric fastner in there, is was stripped in or re tapped for metric.:eek: Torks=Metric

Jenrick
November 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
Changed mine out to an ergo grip about 3 months ago and it was an allen head.

-Jenrick

If you enjoyed reading about "If you own a RRA Rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!