Ok, very easy ammo questions!

PDA

Vitamin G
September 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
I realized today that i've never bothered to learn ANYTHING about ammo. Call me crazy, uninformed, negligent, etc, but I have NO idea what people are talking about when they use any kind of bullet terminology.

Today I figured out that "Grain" refers to the weight of the bullet, not the amount of powder "grains" in the casing. (At least, I THINK so!)

So who would like the honor of illuminating my dark-age knowledge of bullets? lol. Thanks!

What are the differences of grain?
Do +P hollow points expand more?
Any ammo have any special characteristics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, very easy ammo questions!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quantrill
September 19, 2003, 11:27 AM
Vita,
Yours is an all encompassing question that would take pages to answer with all the exceptions. So I suggest a good reloading manual to start yourself off with. I think Lyman has the most well rounded one but any of the major ones will do nicely. Good Luck!! Quantrill

Hutch
September 19, 2003, 11:49 AM
Well, just for a start, a grain is a unit of weight equal to 1/7000 of a pound. Go figure. Both bullet weight and powder charge weights for rifle and handgun cartridges are expressed in grains. Shotguns ammo is different. GENERALLY SPEAKING.... hollowpoint and softpoint bullets are ment to expand in the target, full metal jacket aka FMJ aka "ball" ammo is not meant to expand. Access to a bullet manufacturer's loading handbook would be useful, I'm sure.

+P designates an operating pressure level greater than that of SAAMI (the standards people for ammo and guns) standard. This usually results in greater velocity for the same bullet weight, and therefore better performance on the target. This 'performance on the target' is sometimes delicately described as "terminal ballistics".

There is a vast body of knowledge here on THR, and as was stated earlier, it's a bit much to try and address in one thread, much less one post. If you come up with some more specific questions, feel free to offer them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, very easy ammo questions!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!