What's your L and D gun?

PDA

HeadCleaver
January 15, 2003, 10:39 AM
My wife is delivering our 5th child today. Wish us luck. Oh, I will most likely be carrying my S&W 642 in a right front pocket holster. I usually carry my unaffected G19 in a highride belt, but I figure because of a possible situation (e.g. A nurse or physician possibly spotting it while I am leaning over the bed rail.) I'll just keep it in a holster in my backpack in the room.

What would you guys carry?

Rick

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your L and D gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
January 15, 2003, 10:55 AM
Personally, I'm not sure I would leave a weapon in a backpack unattended.

Preacherman
January 15, 2003, 10:57 AM
Well, since all firearms are bullet "delivery" systems, I guess anything goes! :D

41 Redhawk
January 15, 2003, 10:58 AM
Ummmm, after having gone through L&D twice with my wife and now once with my daughter, I don't want a gun any where close.:D

10-Ring
January 15, 2003, 11:00 AM
I never thought about bringing a gun into delivery room. I just had other things to think about.

cordex
January 15, 2003, 11:16 AM
Forgot to say:

"Congratulations!"

COHIBA
January 15, 2003, 11:37 AM
you must have watched "its alive" to many times.

Lone_Gunman
January 15, 2003, 12:04 PM
Dont know where you live, but there is a high chance you will be breaking the law today if you carry a gun in a hospital.

Joe Demko
January 15, 2003, 12:09 PM
In my case, it was an NAA Guardian .32 in a pocket holster also made by NAA. I figured the need for a major caliber blaster on a maternity ward was miniscule.

Sprout
January 15, 2003, 12:25 PM
Congrats!

Smoke
January 15, 2003, 02:14 PM
I am expecting my second in a couple of weeks.

Wil not carry. First, its not legal here to carry in a hospital. Second, I'll be lucky to remember my pants when the wife says go, much less my gun.

Hutch
January 15, 2003, 02:41 PM
Congrats!!! "Leave the Glock. Take the Smith". Unless you anticipate changing into scrubs, in which case, leave 'em all.

Correia
January 15, 2003, 02:42 PM
I was wearing a Springfield 1911 for both of my daughter's births. Never thought much of it. If I'm wearing pants, odds are I'm wearing a gun. :)

firestar
January 15, 2003, 02:46 PM
I can't beleive you are considering taking a pistol into a hospital!:cuss:

I wouldn't go into a hospital with anything less than a AK-47 or a 12ga shotgun! You are more likely to get shot or attacked in an emergency room than anywhere else! Be smart and take extra ammo.:rolleyes:

BTW, congrats, the world needs more people.

CMichael
January 15, 2003, 02:52 PM
Congratulations!

I suggest leave the gun at home. You have enough to deal with it.

KMKeller
January 15, 2003, 02:53 PM
340 Smith in an ankle holster...

cordex
January 15, 2003, 02:59 PM
You okay, firestar?

Redlg155
January 15, 2003, 04:21 PM
Keeping one on me in the delivery room? Probably not unless it was REALLY small and there was ZERO chance of being made. The emergency room is a different story.

Reminds me of a story back when I lived in Oklahoma.

We had to take a prisoner to the city hospital in Oklahoma City for treatment. Upon arriving we found out that our "liason officer" was not available and we had to stay with the prisoner. Well....the head nurse comes strolling over and asks that we sit in the waiting room because she didn't want guns in "her" emergency room. As a state employee still in uniform I couldn't tell her what I thought about her "problem" in the most effective manner known to me, so I just told her that if we go to the waiting room, the convict goes with us. My duties take priority over anything you say and if have a problem then you need to call someone more important than you because you can't order me.

Needless to say she left huffing and puffing swaying her more than ample backside, but nothing else was said. Oh..and I had no intention of taking him to the waiting room. He happened to be from Oklahoma City and serving natural life in prison. :eek:

Perhaps I should have told her that he was in for murdering fat nurses. I wonder what she would have said then! :D

Oh..and congrats on the baby!

Good Shooting
RED

Blackhawk
January 15, 2003, 05:09 PM
Congratulations! :D

You've already been preached at....

JohnBT
January 15, 2003, 10:41 PM
I was going to say ankle holster in case she starts grabbing at ya.

Congratulations!

John

blades67
January 15, 2003, 11:30 PM
Perhaps I should have told her that he was in for murdering fat nurses. I wonder what she would have said then!

If that hospital is anything like the one I work in, it would take his natural life to finish the job.:eek: :D

BerettaNut92
January 16, 2003, 01:21 AM
What the heck is an L&D?

DadOfThree
January 16, 2003, 02:53 AM
Come on Skunk,
It's the place were your wife tells you she loves you one minute and is threatening to forcibly remove your sex organs the next minute.
Labor and Delivery
Just wait. You'll find out one of these days.
PS: When you go into the delivery room with your wife, don't wear any rings! If she's holding your hand when she has a contraction, she will break your fingers. :D

dude
January 16, 2003, 03:17 AM
nothing, as I am lucky enough to not feel the 'need' here in town or at home

.........now out in the woods I always have one of the Dans close by though!

Kahr carrier
January 16, 2003, 04:29 AM
Congrats .:D

HeadCleaver
January 16, 2003, 12:57 PM
:D Well, it's a 7lb 3oz baby girl. My wife was induced at 1000 and she popped out at 1500. :D

I'm not sure if there is a law preventing me from carrying in a hospital in my state. I never considered hospitals holy ground, even though nothing prevents me from carrying on holy ground either. Hospitals in my town are ran by private corporations like most hospitals in the U.S., if that makes any difference. The previous hospital I worked at allowed us to check our arms at the front door with Security or leave it in the car without trouble. My current hospital does not allow firearms on the property at all, though people in Security have stated if they can't see it, it does not exist. Gangmembers have been known to frequent the ER or the ICU to finish their GSWs. We go into a hospital wide lockdown when we get a GSW. But nothing really prevents an armed gangmember from getting in. Who will defend me if someone armed enters the ICU? The nurses? The "hospital ninjas"? The patients? Doctors? I didn't think so.

If you arm yourself? Why not do it 24/7? I am terrible at predicting the future.

If I ever carry in a pack, it is always on me or within reach.

:D Thanks for all your responses guys. I really appreciate it.:D

Rick

BerettaNut92
January 16, 2003, 01:51 PM
PS: When you go into the delivery room with your wife, don't wear any rings! If she's holding your hand when she has a contraction, she will break your fingers.

OK. I will make it a point to put a Hogue wraparound on top of my Hatch elite marksman gloves in the L&D room so she doesn't break my paws.

commygun
January 16, 2003, 07:53 PM
A NAA Guardian in my pocket when my eldest was born. By the
time my second son was born it had been replaced with a P-32.
By the way, I also work at this hospital. Even though it is fairly
small and rural we get our share of the drunk/drugged/desperate
and disoriented wandering through it's halls and parking lot.
Assaults and thefts are not unknown. Hospitals are not inherently
safer than say, your average Wal-Mart. They just take more
precautions.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your L and D gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!