My wife has asked me to get my kids handguns for Christmas ...

PDA

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
MAN I LOVE THAT WOMAN!!!!!

Anyway, I have three boys and my Wife really does want me to get them handguns for Christmas, which is too cool.

They are ages 16, 18, and 21. All three are very mature and are familiar with weapons, although mainly rifles and shotguns. The 18 year old, although a senior in high school, joined the Army National Guard last year and went to Army Basic Training last summer, and will be heading back after he graduates high school to train in his MOS (Cavalry Scout). He has already earned a full ROTC scholarship for college and wants to be an officer in the infantry. I believe they train Cav Scouts on pistols, so hopefully he can get a head start now.

I've done a little bit of research and I'm starting to think the Ruger SR9 would be the best choice. They have safeties on the frame (unlike the Glock), the safeties and mag release buttons are on both sides of the gun (my youngest is a lefty, so that will be good for him), they come in three styles (which will be nice, so I can get the same gun for each kid, but they will all look a little different), and they are reasonably priced.

I have shot the SR9 at a range, and I think it would be a good first gun, as it doesn't kick like a .45 and the kids can work on thier accuracy, etc.

So I was just wondering if anyone on here has an SR9 and can give me some advice, or advice on another 9 mm that might be a good first gun for my kids (and reasonably priced. I don't want to go over $500.00 a gun if I can help it).

Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "My wife has asked me to get my kids handguns for Christmas ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matrix187
November 24, 2008, 10:24 AM
CZ 75 of some sort :D

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 10:27 AM
I have to be honest: I know nothing about CZ. :uhoh:

Matrix187
November 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
The CZ 75 is used in over 12 countries by the military or police, and its alot like a browning hi power. It's DA/SA, and has a thumb safety. Carries ~15 rounds.

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
Interesting. The minute you mentioned it, I fired up Google and took a quick look. It's definately in my price range and looks good.

How reliable are they, and do they have good customer service in the US of A?

And thanks. :)

CZF
November 24, 2008, 10:51 AM
Beretta 92FS for your officer son.

A Cz75 BD (decocker) would also be ideal.

jfrey
November 24, 2008, 10:52 AM
I bought my son a SR9 and soon after realized they had a recall. Sent it in to be fitted with what ever recall measures Ruger deemed necessary. Got it back and took it out to shoot it. The very next day I traded it on a Browning HP. Any questions on what I think of a SR9? Get your kids a BHP or CZ.

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 10:55 AM
Beretta 92FS for your officer son.

I read somewhere that officers in the U.S. Army - with some exceptions - train and carry the Barretta M9. So I looked at them closely, but I've never fired one at the range.

For some reason, they didn't impress me as much as the Ruger, although I'd be hard pressed to say why, exactly. The Ruger is thinner and just felt better when I held it. A very subjective thing, I know.

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 10:58 AM
I bought my son a SR9 and soon after realized they had a recall. Sent it in to be fitted with what ever recall measures Ruger deemed necessary. Got it back and took it out to shoot it. The very next day I traded it on a Browning HP. Any questions on what I think of a SR9? Get your kids a BHP or CZ.
Interesting. I've read about the recall, and the SR9s I looked at have all been fitted with the 'Glock' style trigger safety, which is why they were recalled (no trigger safety, so it was possible for the gun to fire if dropped). What did you dislike about it after you got it back and shot it?

Mike OTDP
November 24, 2008, 11:04 AM
Why 9mm? For a new shooter, .22LR makes a LOT more sense.

Prepster
November 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
The SR9 isn't a bad choice. Maybe the Sigma series is one to consider also, $350/gun for basically a Glock, and there's the S+W rebate deal going on now too. With the extra you can get them a whole mountain of ammo, holsters, etc.

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 11:29 AM
Why 9mm? For a new shooter, .22LR makes a LOT more sense.
Well, all three have shot my .38 J Frame Airweight revolver and my Kimber .45 Ultra Crimson Carry II and have no problem with the recoil, and have pretty good aim. None of my kids are small, and none of them are afraid to shoot a big gun. So I don't see the point in getting them a .22 pistol. Eventually, I expect this handgun to be their first home/apt. defense weapon as well. Especially for my 21 year old who is now old enough to get his CCW and lives and goes to school 14 hours away in Virginia Beach.

I can see getting a .22 for plinking around real cheap, but to me that would be more of a toy and not a tool.

Now, for my wife, when she's ready to start shooting, I will definitely need to start her out with a .22 LR handgun, or a handgun that can convert to a .22 while she gets comfortable with it.

esq_stu
November 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
Several years ago, on the occasion of my son's 21st birthday, I bought my son, my father, and myself IMI Jericho 9mm pistols.

benderx4
November 24, 2008, 11:45 AM
If it were my sons, unless it were a .22 or a revolver, I wouldn't touch a Ruger right now with a ten foot pole. Two serious recalls on their two newest weapons. First the SR9, and now the LCP. Granted, they've handled the issues very well, but why buy a potentially inferior product when there are such other fine weapons out there?

First, I'll be upfront and say I'm an avid HK fan. Those fine weapons appear to be out of your price range. But based on your requirements, I would still like to recommend two outstanding weapons:

1. Beretta M-9 (92FS) - Classic, full size, easy to shoot well, decent capacity and accuracy, nice trigger, incredibly smooth action, easy to field strip (with your eyes closed), and not terribly expensive.

2. CZ 75B, CZ P-01, CZ SP-01 - All pretty much variations on a theme. These guns are amazing. I hadn't heard about them either until 2 years ago or so. Great accuracy and reliability. For an all steel gun, very inexpensive. Huge capacity on the SP-01 while no bigger than the M-9. Only thing is trigger is a bit gritty out of the box, but gets progressively better with use.

There are some other guns out there that would fit your requirements, S&W M&P for instance, but the two above would be my choices. Won't go wrong with either one.

Good luck and congrats on an amazing wife. Does she have a sister?

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 11:54 AM
If it were my sons, unless it were a .22 or a revolver, I wouldn't touch a Ruger right now with a ten foot pole. Two serious recalls on their two newest weapons. First the SR9, and now the LCP. Granted, they've handled the issues very well, but why buy a potentially inferior product when there are such other fine weapons out there?

First, I'll be upfront and say I'm an avid HK fan. Those fine weapons appear to be out of your price range. But based on your requirements, I would still like to recommend two outstanding weapons:

1. Beretta M-9 (92FS) - Classic, full size, easy to shoot well, decent capacity and accuracy, nice trigger, incredibly smooth action, easy to field strip (with your eyes closed), and not terribly expensive.

2. CZ 75B, CZ P-01, CZ SP-01 - All pretty much variations on a theme. These guns are amazing. I hadn't heard about them either until 2 years ago or so. Great accuracy and reliability. For an all steel gun, very inexpensive. Huge capacity on the SP-01 while no bigger than the M-9. Only thing is trigger is a bit gritty out of the box, but gets progressively better with use.

There are some other guns out there that would fit your requirements, S&W M&P for instance, but the two above would be my choices. Won't go wrong with either one.

Good luck and congrats on an amazing wife. Does she have a sister?

lol. Yeah, my wife has two sisters. Both of them older, uglier, and more liberal than she is. :D

Anyway, thanks for the info. I've looked into the Baretta M9 and the Smith & Wesson M&P, but not the CZ. And the more I hear about CZ the more intrigued I am by them. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks again.

Mp7
November 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
can you please adopt me?

IŽll take anythin u choose :-)

From what i read on this forums the price of CZ
and what u get for it are very towards getting those.

i would.

PcolaDawg
November 24, 2008, 12:02 PM
can you please adopt me?

No. From here on out, if I want another kid, I'll adopt a rich one that comes with a hefty trust-fund that I can embezzle off of or something.

Kids are too dang expensive, otherwise. :cuss:

Rob G
November 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
The CZ is a very good firearm although I have only shot one a couple of times.

The Beretta 92 was the gun used at the police academy I was at. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I put through that gun while I was there but I'd guess 10k+. I found it to be accurate, smooth trigger, low recoil for quick follow ups, and very reliable with only 1 or 2 errors during all those thousands of rounds.

But either one and you won't have gone wrong.

jerryrigger
November 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
cant comment on the cz-ive heard good things, but never so much as held one-i think something about the name turned me off to them early on. i love the 1911 platform, so i have to give credit where it is due-thats what i would get if i were doing this anyways, and maybe buy one for yourself as well, all with sequential serial numbers maybe? just a thought, but back to (more) reality...if youre not going to do a 1911 i would say that you can not go wrong with the beretta and i would steer that way before anything else ('cept the 1911!) i would stay away from that sr9...ruger autos are having some hard times from what i can tell...if you (probably more a question of your wife) are comfortable with a pistol without a manual safety, glocks or M&Ps are tough to beat, but they do lack that little switch which makes a big difference to some...if i were going to get pistols for my kids though they would probably have manual safeties on them too though...good luck in this, 3 guys are gonna wake up to a very merry christmas morning! i wish my family were like this-i cant even acknowledge that i have guns to my extended family haha...anyways i would think about possibly putting a few extra bucks in...it really wont be [I]that[I] much, and get a couple of 1911s unless you are really dead set against .45-if you could find 4 with sequential numbers, you would have a real heirloom-type deal going on there and i would bet those guns would never leave their possession.

Birdhunter1
November 24, 2008, 01:57 PM
Get em all a stainless Springfield 1911 and have their names engraved int oteh side of it. Then theyhave something to always be proud of that is a very functional weapon and showpiece as well!

1911 guy
November 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
Definately get them the guns for Christmas, but not like you're thinking.

They're all old enough to understand some things take planning, so help them plan the Christmas gifts. Decide how much you want to spend on handguns, divide by three, put that figure in a card and put it under the tree. They get to pick their own handgun. If under/at budget, you pay for it all. If over, they pick up the difference. It will make a nice Father-Sons day out, too. Go to the gunshop in the morning, go to lunch, find an indoor range in the afternoon. They'll have so much fun with guns and Dad, it'll remind you of when they were gradeschoolers.

It is your money, so I wouldn't feel bad about setting "rules", must be viable SD caliber, must be concealable, etc. Whatever you decide.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
November 24, 2008, 02:42 PM
Planning.. Yes!

OK, I'll agree with another poster... Baretta 92FS for the infantry bound.

For the others, talk with them about what they would like in a hand gun. Yes they're old enough to know the element of 'Gift' over surprise box under the Christmas tree. Whether they end up being 9mm or .22rimfire. Or... a convertible. A 1911 with a .22 top end that could be converted to .45acp down the road would be a great choice. A Ruger MKII or a Browning Buckmark for the kid that really is the best shot out of the four of you. Will any of them end up shooting in action sports competition? Get the gun that dominates the stock class. -That way, as brothers will most often shoot each other's guns, they all get a taste of what's available.

Buying them all the same gun.. Boring... :barf::rolleyes:

So.. What will you buying for yourself? And mama? She's the one with this great idea!

-Steve

gtmtnbiker98
November 24, 2008, 02:52 PM
Have you looked at the S&W M&P line?

ByAnyMeans
November 24, 2008, 06:22 PM
All good recommendations and I have nothing to add other than your one cool dad.

Gottahaveone
November 24, 2008, 06:51 PM
I tried to improve on that and just couldn't.

Cloudpeak
November 24, 2008, 07:32 PM
Very good comment 1911 Guy. "They get to pick their own handgun." If you're near a range that rents various handguns, I'd take them on a "father-son" outing(s) and let them shoot a variety of handguns and each make their own decision.

The CZ, M&P and XD are pistols I'm familiar with and I think they're all great pistols. I'd rank them 1,2,3. I sold the M&P and XD but still own the CZ 9mm Compact with the Kadet 22 conversion which is very accurate. (I think I must be a hammer fired/steel gun kind of guy.)

My favorites are my 3 1911's. Two Springfield's (45) and one STI Trojan (9mm) which is my favorite. You can buy .22 conversions for 1911's, as well.

The kids might be interested in a revolver. I have a Ruger SP101 which is a pretty nice gun but I shoot pistols better. I just get along with semi-auto grips better.

Good luck and have fun!

Cloudpeak

skinewmexico
November 24, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sig P6

Shrinkmd
November 24, 2008, 08:35 PM
5906 or 5906TSW

Even used, they will last forever, and as long as S&W is in business, they will be taken care of. Indestructible, reliable, all steel. Used for around $400, often less. They don't make all-steel stainless pistols anymore, unless you want to buy a Sig for more than a grand.

Spend the difference on ammo.

benderx4
November 24, 2008, 09:12 PM
Time to disagree. I like the idea of finding a piece of shiny steel under the tree. Regardless of whether or not it's exactly what they were thinking about, they will cherish it because:
1. It was their first gun, and
2. Mom and Dad gave it to them.

Over the years, my tastes have changed as my budget has. Today, my safe no longer has any Taurus, Bersa, Sigmas, Glock, or KelTec.

Today it is filled with S&W revolvers, HK, Sig, Seecamp, and a bunch of "snakes". But I also have, and always will have, an old beat up Ruger 10/22 carbine my Dad gave me on my 16th birthday. In two more years, it gets passed down to my son.

Buy them any of the fine weapons we've discussed on this thread, and you can be sure that, whatever it is, it will always have a special place in their safe, and more importantly, in their heart.

W.E.G.
November 24, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have no reason to believe there is anything *wrong* with the Ruger.

I just don't think I'd go out and buy a shoebox full of one gun that has yet to prove itself.

Spend extra money and get Glocks if you want something to be sure of.

jfrey
November 24, 2008, 10:16 PM
Got the Ruger back after the recall and my son couldn't hit a piece of notebook paper with it at 15 yards. He doesn't shoot that much so my older son,who has 8 years military experience, tried it out and he couldn't do much better. I finally tried it myself. I had a hard time keeping 5 shots in a 6" circle. If you look at the trigger, right at the break, it moves differently than the rest of the takeup travel. This made me shoot consistently low. The pressure of the break was not consistent either. I called Ruger about it and they indicated I wasn't letting the trigger completely reset between shots. This was not the case, but I guess they had to come up with something. It isn't that I am not used to shooting striker fired pistols as I don't have any problem shooting my Glock. I bought the pistol used (like new) and I guess the first guy who bought it knew more than I did about it. Admittedly, I am spoiled from shooting high quality 1911's, but I wanted something inexpensive for someone who doesn't shoot a lot. I guess you definately get what you pay for.

wep45
November 24, 2008, 10:37 PM
give em the gift that keeps on giving...........S&W model 686

Marcus L.
November 24, 2008, 10:49 PM
Sig P228 9mm
Sig P226 9mm
Sig P229 9mm or .40S&W
Glock 17 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
H&K USP 9mm, .40S&W, or .45acp
H&K P30 9mm
H&K 45
Beretta 92 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm, .40S&W, or .45acp

Those would be the top of the line pistols in law enforcement and military service with LARGE organizations. Stick with those, and you will get an accurate, reliable, and durable product. They will also likely give you the best overall purchaser satisfaction.

I'm also going to go against the grain here. I've owned a CZ 75b, CZ P-01, CZ 75bd, CZ 75 SP-01, and a CZ 97b. I have sold them all. Durability of the CZ 75 series has gone downhill since the early 1990s when they were first exported and still kept close quality controls of the Soviet era. The design is hard on trigger bars and trigger return springs and I have replaced them often on CZs. Such a breakage completely disables the pistol and I have had to order new parts from CZ many times in the past.

During the 1993 FBI handgun trials, 5 CZ 75b were testing along side Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, Berettas, and S&Ws. The CZ actually did the worst out of the competitors in terms of durability. Most of them only lasted between 5k-7k rounds before a major part breakage using 9mm+P ammunition. The average life of the other pistols ranged from 20k-100k rounds before they reached a major parts failure. The Department of Interior also had a round of handgun testing in 2005 and the CZ suffered similar problems and the Sig was adopted instead. In 2002 the Department of Homeland Security also ran a batch of CZs through their handgun testing and it also didn't do too well. The most common problems were broken trigger bars, trigger return springs, extractors, and frames. The design also didn't handle the dust exposure test well. The only militaries I know of that use the CZ are little former USSR satellite states, not experienced and savvy militaries. Not even the Czech police use the CZ anymore.

Sure, the CZ is an accurate pistol and feels good in the hand, but durability has been a problem with them. Durability translates into dependability and a sound firearms design. Accuracy and ergonomics matter little if your pistol won't go bang with reliability.

Frog48
November 24, 2008, 10:56 PM
For your son in the Army, a Beretta 92FS aka M9 is in order.

BCRider
November 24, 2008, 10:58 PM
What do they want to get out of shooting a handgun? Are they all the same so you can get them the same gun?

I'm new to all this but I was lucky enough to be able to try out about 9 various guns before making up my mind which would be first. From that and talking to a lot of the other shooters at the range and seeing what they owned I'd say that a handgun is as personal as picking out a new pair of shoes or hiking/working boots that will be worn a lot. Instead of actual guns I'd say pack up gift or promisary notes for a handgun of their choice and tape it around a box of ammo (which can be traded back in to suit the gun of choice). Then you get to go shopping at your's and your son's favourite stores for the one that puts a big grin on each of their faces. Be it a revolver, a steel framed semi or one of the plastic guns. They are all great in the hands of the right owners but the owners are a fickle and problomatic lot... :D They ALL like something different. I'd say give them a promisary note since that way it's not tied to any one store and there's more options and some extra side trips.

FWIW I ended up with a CZ Shadow in 9mm that I'm looking forward to shooting in IPSC, IDPA and whatever other competitions I can find this coming spring. I've got 1300 rounds through it now and it just keeps getting better and better. When I'm not loaded up with coffee I've managed to put 10 rounds through a ragged 2x3 inch hole at 10 yards. Not bad for a shaky old 55 year old newbie to shooting. I'm pretty darn sure the gun is capable of better but I'm holding it back. And there's a goodly amount of CZ support from various dealers since CZ's are a popular gun for IPSC and IDPA shooters. So if they like them do not be afraid of going with one. They are relatively plain with their industrial coating instead of blueing but they are tough and accurate.

earplug
November 24, 2008, 11:16 PM
Don't base the Army's use of a weapon with it being better then others. There the government and they make misstakes.
I like the CZ pistols. And you can get a excellent 22 LR conversion unit from CZ.

ReadyontheRight
November 24, 2008, 11:20 PM
Three nice blued or stainless 1911s. But any handgun from Mom and Dad will be great. What a great wife! And great sons. Enjoy Christmas and getting the family out there shooting!

Randyc74
November 24, 2008, 11:49 PM
I agree with what 1911 wrote.

Gun choice and for that matter gun leather choice is a personal thing. If your boys are old enough and responsible enough to own there own guns, they should be allowed to make their own choice of which gun they prefer.
Best wishes.

zombienerd
November 25, 2008, 12:00 AM
My wife and I have an SR-9.. It's a great gun. The ambidextrous mag release helps a lot. The rear of the handgrip can be removed and flipped for smaller hands also, and I think you can get larger ones for big mitted folks.

The issue with the recall has been resolved, and all of them you find in the stores now are already retrofitted, or produced post-recall with the changed trigger.

I like the feel of it, and the price wasn't too bad either.

CPshooter
November 25, 2008, 01:32 AM
Get them all XD.45 compacts:) You can't go wrong with this gun for $500 dollars.

There are so many good choices out there. As I'm writing this, I'm looking at my Glock 19 and USPc.40. I highly recommend both of these pistols as well.

Maybe go with 9mm for the youngest since you will probably be the one taking him shooting. 9mm ammo is cheap. Besides, he's got a few years until he can carry so caliber shouldn't be a priority for him.

Just don't go cheap on the quality! Even if you have to spend a little more than $500, make sure you get something that has a solid reputation. If you go with the new SR9s, you'll probably end up sending back 2 out of 3. The SR9 got recalled, and so did my little LCP .380. (I'm still waiting for the shipping envelope).

Matrix187
November 25, 2008, 10:07 AM
I've talked to a veteran that had alot of problems with the M9. Slides would break, and the thing needed alot of maintenence. But, the infantry bound should probably start training with one.

ZeBool
November 25, 2008, 11:11 AM
For price and quality, it's hard to beat an xd. I bought one about a month ago, NIB off of guns america for 389, ended up like 430 once all of the crap was added on.

PcolaDawg
November 25, 2008, 11:24 AM
AWESOME RESPONSES!!!!!!!!! Thanks and keep 'em coming!

As to buying them each a different make/manufacture of handgun -- that's out. If you've ever had three kids close together in age, you'll know why.

Although, if I let them choose their own gun with the price limited to what I'm willing to spend, that would let them get different guns without bickering later over who got the 'best' gun or not (or trying to figure out who Dad loves the best by the type of handgun they got :rolleyes:).

Right now, these kids are VERY ignorant about handguns (almost as ignorant as their Dad), and would have no idea what to get for themselves. I also believe, as some have already stated, that they will love whatever I get them and will be thrilled with it regardless.

And a lot of the gun shops around here are selling out and back-ordered for months, so I am kind of getting antsy about getting them ordered and in asap.

Again, thanks for all the great suggestions/ideas. :)

Just One Shot
November 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
Ruger has another 9mm that has proven to be a very accurate and reliable. I'm referring to the P-95.

I recently purchased one for $299.99 on sale at the local MC Sports. The regular price is only $359.99 and it comes with a carry case and 2 clips.

Depending on your state tax (on the regular price) that should leave you around $400.00 out of the $1500.00 to load them up with some ammo, a gun cleaning kit and a holster for each of your boys.

PcolaDawg
November 25, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ruger has another 9mm that has proven to be a very accurate and reliable. I'm referring to the P-95.

I recently purchased one for $299.99 on sale at the local MC Sports. The regular price is only $359.99 and it comes with a carry case and 2 clips.

Depending on you state tax (on the regular price) that should leave you around $400.00 out of the $1500.00 to load them up with some ammo, a gun cleaning kit and a holster for each of your boys.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I am planning to get them plenty of ammo, a gun cleaning kit, and a holster to go along with the handguns. I'm also signing them all up for a CCW class the week after Christmas. That way my 21 year old can send away for his license and my two younger ones will have some handgun safety drilled into them by someone other than their father.

SSN Vet
November 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
if your confused by the nomenclature...

M9 is the military designation for a Baretta 92

RH822
November 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
I would suggest a revolver like a 4" Ruger GP100 .357 mag or a Taurus Model 665. Not as cheap to shoot as a 9mm, but still boat loads of fun.

RH

benderx4
November 25, 2008, 05:35 PM
(or trying to figure out who Dad loves the best by the type of handgun they got ).

Exactly! This is yet another way you can go about this dilemma:

18 y.o. - Get him the special Beretta M-9 version with the US Army logo on the side for obvious reasons.

21 y.o - Get him the CZ SP-01 with the 18+1 capacity as this gives him the most bang for the buck as he will be protecting Mom/Dad at the homefront.

16 y.o. - Get him the new HK P30L. When the other two ask you why the youngest got the $1000 gun, just tell them cause you love him best.

I only have two kids, but whenever they come up with the "WHY" question, that's always my response. Works like a charm!

BCRider
November 25, 2008, 10:54 PM
I only have two kids, but whenever they come up with the "WHY" question, that's always my response. Works like a charm!

That's the trick... keep 'em all guessing.... :D

I didn't realize that none of you had done any handgun shooting or at least not much of it.

So.... I'd still give them the promisary note for $X towards the gun of their choice. Like you say it keeps things all even but if you pick an amount that allows them to buy a decent but not top priced gun it'll still be the "gun that dad helped me buy". But now you get to go as a group to a commercial range that has guns for "rent" and try out some various options. Sounds like you may have to even get out twice or three times to various options in your region and spend that much more time with your boys. Darn, won't THAT be a big imposition... :D You all get a chance to sample some different options and can choose which suits each persons tastes. And don't forget that this is a chance to have them all out with you at the same time in a way where there's no losers, a lot of laughs and some great ribbing going on. After all, isn't the idea here to enjoy some quality time together?

As for the M9 troubles someone mentioned above. I looked into the reports on the 'net about the problems because the Beretta is one of my favourites and I sort of want to get one somewhere along the way. The issues seem to have all occured in connection with the first few years of manufacturing where the slides came from a source that used a steel that was the cause. Subsequent production and repaired early models are supposed to be fixed in this regard. Certainly newer 92fs owners that shoot a lot seem to be happy with them so don't let the reports of the early issues put you off.

2ndAmendmentDemocrat
November 26, 2008, 12:19 PM
My first gun was a Beretta 92 (M9) my dad got me for my commissioning (Navy). Cannot reccomend it highly enough. You can even carry it concealed if you carry it in a messenger bag (a cross-slung man purse popular with my generation). props to your son for being tip of the spear

PcolaDawg
November 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
My first gun was a Beretta 92 (M9) my dad got me for my commissioning (Navy). Cannot reccomend it highly enough. You can even carry it concealed if you carry it in a messenger bag (a cross-slung man purse popular with my generation). props to your son for being tip of the spear
Thanks, and I'm glad to hear you have a Beretta M9 and you like it so much. My kid has his Cav Scout training this summer at Fort Knox before he heads off to college and Army ROTC (or The Citadel and ROTC) and it's my understanding they will be training with the Beretta M9, so I will definately take another look at it.

Again, thanks - and thanks for your service to the country as well. Don't tell my son this, but --- GO NAVY! My Dad was Navy and I passed the Nuke test out of high school and came oh so close to enlisting in the Navy and going to Nuke school, but went to college instead. Also, my kid attended football camp at the Naval Academy two summers ago (I guess I was hoping to influence his decision a little :D). But my brother was a Green Beret, so we do have SOME Army history in the family. :)

Daizee
November 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
I find the M9 to be HUGE in my hands. Unless the kids all have really big hands, I'd stay away from such bulky guns. I don't think it's a gun for all people.

But personally I like the suggestion of getting them involved in the process.

JImbothefiveth
December 11, 2008, 03:37 PM
I think Beretta launched a line of their pistols commemerating each branch of the military. Can't find a link, though.

Daniel1120
December 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
CZ's have amazing reliabilty. Not to mention you could get one son a stainless one, another a black one, and the third a duo-tone!

I'd definitely recomend getting them full sized steel guns. Always more fun to shoot, and they will keep them for a lifetime. Ive got to throw in another recomendation for cz's though, they will last a lifetime if they treat them right. And be sure to keep us posted, and let us know what you decide to get them.

FlaChef
December 12, 2008, 03:29 AM
So.... I'd still give them the promisary note for $X towards the gun of their choice. Like you say it keeps things all even but if you pick an amount that allows them to buy a decent but not top priced gun it'll still be the "gun that dad helped me buy". But now you get to go as a group to a commercial range that has guns for "rent" and try out some various options. Sounds like you may have to even get out twice or three times to various options in your region and spend that much more time with your boys. Darn, won't THAT be a big imposition... You all get a chance to sample some different options and can choose which suits each persons tastes. And don't forget that this is a chance to have them all out with you at the same time in a way where there's no losers

+1
I have helped many people (friends/family) shop for their first guns over the last few years, and a few since this election. It's like picking a model car, different needs and desires. Then throw in it's also like trying on shoes to see what fits.

I will add to the above however that there is no need to make it a testosterone fest! What gun does your wife want or like?!

I recommend the big gunshows for window shopping/trying on different guns even if they aren't always the best places to buy. I can easily think of over a dozen very good gun choices not mentioned here.

I will leave you with one website to read to help make a better informed choice....
http://www.corneredcat.com/ while written for women it is THE best "intro to hanguns 101" i've ever found. Especially for your cas the whole "choosing firearms" section.

If you enjoyed reading about "My wife has asked me to get my kids handguns for Christmas ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!