Case length too long for press.

PDA

NotSoFast
November 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
Up until now I have been doing fine with my Lee Turret Press, loading 9mm, .40S&W, and .223. But I just started to experiment with .30-06 and I'm finding that I cannot clear the case when the press starts to rotate. :(

While I would like to continue with a progressive press, it isn't necessary for me since I won't be reloading a whole lot of .30-06 loads. A single stage press would be fine, at least to start. I also don't have a lot of money for a high $$$ press.

I also plan in the near future to add the 7.55x55 Swiss to my reloading. What press do you recommend I use for large case loads? A single stage that is convertible to a progressive would also be something I would consider.

If you enjoyed reading about "Case length too long for press." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
K3
November 24, 2008, 12:56 PM
The Lee Classic Cast press is hard to beat. I load some big stuff on it with no problems, decap crimped 7.62 and 5.56 brass by the bushel, and even keep a decent pace loading pistol ammo. It's solid and reliable, and for the $, I don't think you can do much better.

All I have are single stage presses. I like simplicity.

Ridgerunner665
November 24, 2008, 01:24 PM
RCBS Rockchucker Supreme and a piggyback conversion kit

lgbloader
November 24, 2008, 01:57 PM
Lee Classic cast, RCBS Rock chucker supreme, Redding Big Boss II, or Hornady LNL Classic.

Any of these are great presses.

LGB

The Bushmaster
November 24, 2008, 02:01 PM
Just remove the rotator shaft and you have a single stage press or a manual turret if you wish. Until I got my Lee Classic Cast "O" press that's how I did .30-06 on my turret.

SSN Vet
November 24, 2008, 02:24 PM
are you using the cast turret press or the aluminum base turret press?

I was hoping I was going to be able to load .30-06 on my cast turret press.

will be seriously bummed if I can't

Envisaged
November 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
Would be interested in hearing about the Lee turret and .308/.30-06 as well. (Not that I plan on changing) I actually never tried reloading my precision .308 ammo on the turret press - been using the Lee big "O" since day 1 for that.

SSN Vet
November 24, 2008, 02:51 PM
O.K.

I re-read Bushies post and think I get it....

There's "head room" for the .30-06 case to clear the dies, etc...

but...

the auto Index messes things up, since it starts to rotate prior to the ram dropping all the way down.

I'm cool with that....

Batch loading isn't my favorite method, but I can do that or rotate the turret by hand if need be.

I'm saving my pennies for a Savage 114 in .30-06, but a new press isn't on the horizon (I've got to many guns I want to buy).

Envisaged
November 24, 2008, 03:00 PM
"Cannot clear the case before it rotates" seems like it is jamming things up. You can remove the auto index rod as already mentioned - or just get the "O" press.

Oldcoyote
November 24, 2008, 03:07 PM
Classic Cast Turret and .30/06 - no problem in auto index mode. Consider powder capacity if using a measure on press.

ants
November 24, 2008, 03:32 PM
If you won't be loading a whole lot of rifle, use your turret in manual mode. It works perfectly well and saves bench space (and it's free). Save your pennies so when the day comes that you want a real progressive you can go out buy a real progressive.

.30-06 and 7.55 swiss. You picked two good ones to load. You will be pleased. Best of luck, partner.

The Bushmaster
November 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
A "real progressive"?? Who needs a "real progressive"?? I'll stick to my "real turret". Thank you very much...:evil:

Oh...Is that you ants?:D

NotSoFast
November 24, 2008, 05:57 PM
SSN Vet - Yes, it is the auto indexing that is messing me up, especially the depriming pin hanging in the case as the turret begins to turn.

Bushmaster, Envisaged, ants - C'mon guys. I'm lookin' for an excuse to buy another press. :p Actually, removing the auto index rod is a point well taken, especially since I do most of my bottlenecked cartridges in batch mode anyway.

Oldcoyote - I have a RCBS Uniflow for my bottleneck cases because of the increased capacity. All I need is another Lee universal charging die to complete the .30-06 turret I am assembling and I'm all set. (I build up a separate turret for each caliber I have. That way I don't have to be changing and readjusting die sets every time I want to change calibers, just one turret and the powder measure.)

ants - So is there a fake progressive press on the market? :neener:

Walkalong
November 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
Bushmaster, Envisaged, ants - C'mon guys. I'm lookin' for an excuse to buy another press. No excuse needed, just tell your wife we said it was OK. :D

or are you still a free man.

RustyFN
November 24, 2008, 08:36 PM
I know a few people that load 30-06 on the classic turret in auto index mode without any problems. The OP must be using the deluxe turret.
Rusty

ants
November 24, 2008, 08:44 PM
A "real progressive"?? Who needs a "real progressive"??

Hey, Bush -- I'm trying to give him his precious excuse for a new press. Now go with the flow here...

The Bushmaster
November 24, 2008, 10:52 PM
L o l

evan price
November 25, 2008, 12:45 AM
I have the old aluminum based 3-hole turret, I bought it used and the index rod was missing so I removed the index gadget on the ram and run it manually. I load .308 one round at a time, start to finish, no problems, I prefer it that way instead of batching.

NotSoFast
November 25, 2008, 01:43 AM
Walkalong - I'm still a free man. :D

Rusty - You got me on that one. :o

ants - I already have an excuse for a new press. I'm just determining which one :p

If I don't get back to y'all, thanks guys for all the help. :)

The Bushmaster
November 25, 2008, 11:15 AM
You'll be back...Or you BETTER be back!!!:D

ants
November 25, 2008, 12:18 PM
NoSoFast is OK for a Californian. By the time he's done, his wife will consider it a favor that he had to buy himself a progressive press.

snuffy
November 25, 2008, 01:20 PM
The lee classic turret is taller than the older deluxe four hole press. Look at this on the lee website;
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1227635411.5088=/html/catalog/turretpress.html

Specifically this part of it.
The long stroke allows rifle cases over three inches long to be loaded using the automatic index. Deactivate the Auto-Index and cases as long as the monster 50 BMG can be loaded. The rigid cast iron frame supports the ram with over 12 square inches of area. The industry's largest ram is drilled completely through to dispense primers in an attached clear PVC tube. Every primer is caught--guaranteed.

Oldcoyote
November 25, 2008, 04:52 PM
NotSoFast
Look what Dave did with his Uniflow:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=342212

jpwilly
November 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
Lee Classic Cast Turret can fit the 50BMG. I think it can handle 30-06.

RustyFN
November 25, 2008, 07:18 PM
NoSoFast is OK for a Californian.
Not only that but he is in the best part of California. OK I grew up in the Bay Area.
Rusty

ants
November 25, 2008, 09:01 PM
I was born in Oakland, and started shooting at age 6. Things have changed in 50 years, but if you make your peace with it, California is a great place to be from.

RustyFN
November 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
I was born in Oakland, and started shooting at age 6. Things have changed in 50 years, but if you make your peace with it, California is a great place to be from.
You can say that again. I was born and raised in Hayward. I moved to WV when I was 39.
Rusty

NotSoFast
November 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
OldCoyote - I have that same setup. It works great. I'm planning on purchasing another one or two for the .30-06 and for my 7.55x55 Swiss.

ants - I've been at peace with California un until the past year ore so. Guns, people and traffic are finally, after 23 years, starting to get to me. I'm looking to move to either the mountains of Tennessee, near Nashville somewhere, or in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina, somewhere where it's peaceful and the politicians don't hassle us so much.

Envisaged
November 26, 2008, 06:49 PM
Me too - actually tired to buy a house in Waxhaw, NC earlier this year - dumb homeowner thought since I came from Cali he could rape me. Not. My family is going out for another visit early next year.

Edit: He is still trying to sell the house, but now lower than my first offer - LOL.

Oldcoyote
November 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
NotSoFast

We like this area of NC which is about 2 1/2 hrs from Atlanta, a city of 5.5 million. Tennessee has no income tax on salaries but does tax dividends and interest.

I spent a few months on Russian Hill in SF once, very pretty.

If you move to NC, can I come use your Uniflow?

NotSoFast
December 1, 2008, 01:14 AM
Old Coyote - Sure, you can use my Uniflow anytime. I figure the camaraderie and knowledge I gain will well be worth it. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Case length too long for press." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!