Winchester ballistic silvertip?

PDA

Jason_G
November 24, 2008, 02:39 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about these?

I am mostly wanting to know about performance and what the heck these things are jacketed with. The label says black oxide, but I know nothing about the hardness of this "black oxide" and what it might do to a bore in long term use. It looks like a well constructed bullet otherwise.

I almost picked up a box for deer season, but went with the old Remington CorLokt that I always use instead.

Anyone care to shed any light?

TIA

Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester ballistic silvertip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
November 24, 2008, 02:43 PM
The 30 cal winchester ballistic silvertip is nothing more than a nosler ballistic tip with a proprietary lubalox coating over a conventional bullet jacket and a silver piece of plastic in the nose instead of green

Mark whiz
November 24, 2008, 03:19 PM
What Krochus said.

I've found that these can work really well on thin skinned game like deer. However close-range work on heavy animals like wild boar, they can get ugly. I used it on a small boar once at close range (maybe 10 yards) and the bullet exploded on impact. It was a shoulder shot which ended up with a huge entry hole with the liver hanging out of it and a caliber size exit hole where only the unexpanded core passed thru.

Jason_G
November 24, 2008, 03:50 PM
The 30 cal winchester ballistic silvertip is nothing more than a nosler ballistic tip with a proprietary lubalox coating over a conventional bullet jacket and a silver piece of plastic in the nose instead of green
Thanks. Yeah, I knew they were Nosler bullets, but I've never used them before. I guess what I really want to know is what the heck this Lubalox stuff is and if I want it in my bore or not.

I've found that these can work really well on thin skinned game like deer. However close-range work on heavy animals like wild boar, they can get ugly. I used it on a small boar once at close range (maybe 10 yards) and the bullet exploded on impact. It was a shoulder shot which ended up with a huge entry hole with the liver hanging out of it and a caliber size exit hole where only the unexpanded core passed thru.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I wanted to know in terms of its performance.

Jason

hossdaniels
November 24, 2008, 03:59 PM
It looks like a well constructed bullet otherwise.

Not quite "well constructed", but about perfect for broadside shots on whiteail. The corelokt is actually a very stout bullet, probably more than is needed for deer.

MountainWalk
November 24, 2008, 04:43 PM
a deer pill, and nothing more

hankdatank1362
November 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
That lubalox is very similar, or identical to, IIRC, the coating on the infamous "eeeevil" Winchester Black Talons.

bang_bang
November 24, 2008, 09:46 PM
My girlfriend and myself prefer them on deer. She shoots them out of her .270 and I use them in my 7mm Rem Mag. They do a excellent job, shoot pretty hot, and I can trust them to take down whatever I'm shooting at. The only thing is, to get the full impact of the bullet, you almost HAVE to hit the shoulder blade.

PTK
November 24, 2008, 09:54 PM
I love 180gr Nosler/Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip bullets in my 30-06. From what I've seen, you really do need to realize that this bullet design is NOT for bigger game than deer. Even so, it does work wonders on deer and similar. :)

R.W.Dale
November 25, 2008, 07:32 AM
From what I've seen, you really do need to realize that this bullet design is NOT for bigger game than deer.

That and it's also not a good choice for fast magnums where impact velocities may still be high.

But in slower chamberings it's the hot ticket for deer.

Horsemany
November 25, 2008, 11:15 AM
Ballistic silvertips are the only bullets I've ever personally witnessed FAIL. I loaded up some 30-06 150 grainers for a hunting partner of mine. His shot placement was not perfect. He hit the deer in the front shoulder. We saw it run 100 yards to a thicket on the neighboring property. After getting permission and waiting 1/2 hour for the buck to expire we drove over to the thicket. The buck was very much alive, sitting, looking at us. He loaded up and shot him again behind the shoulder @40 yds. Nothing. Buck tries to get up and run but can't. He gave him another and finally the buck puts his head down. Now we're nervous because we told the landowner we were going to retrieve a deer, not shoot one. So, in a hurry we go to get the big buck. Still alive and it took a buck knife to finish the job. Long story short, I will never use bullets that require perfect shot placement and fail miserably if they hit bone. There's a reason bullet companies have recently come out with stronger bonded versions of the ballistic tips like the Accubond.

It's embarrassing to talk your buddy into shooting your handloads and they perform so poorly. I'm sure that's the hardest time he's ever had killing a deer.

Rokman
November 25, 2008, 06:13 PM
I have found that these are excellent deer bullets and have taken many deer with .30-06 (168gr) and .25-06 (115gr) Winchester Silvertips. I now handload and just substitute Nosler Bt's. My brother in law uses 130gr silvertips in a .270 WSM on deer and those things really blow up. Just place you shot properly.

bang_bang
November 25, 2008, 08:59 PM
Here is a bullet I recovered from my girlfriend's deer she shot yesterday morning. It hit the left front shoulder, and apparently went diagonal to the right rear of the rib cage.

.270 Winchester 130gr @ approx. 130 yards

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/ss_drummer/entrywound.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/ss_drummer/DSC00235.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/ss_drummer/DSC00236.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/ss_drummer/DSC00238.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/ss_drummer/DSC00239.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester ballistic silvertip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!