missed one....

PDA

SSN Vet
November 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
I hate trimming brass....

Just processed 100 range pick up cases and rather than trimming them all, set up a cheapo calliper to do a go-no go test on my .223 rem brass.

<1.76" I load as is....

>1.76 I trim...

Well, this system let me down yesterday, as I errantly loaded a long case and had it jam up in my AR. :o

Fortunately, we managed to extract the case by using one man to hold the rifle (with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction) while I yanked on the charging handle.

Looks like I should have trimmed all the new to me brass for it's first loading.....

should have known better.

cutting corners never pays.

just happy I didn't damage the rifle (or worse :eek:)

If you enjoyed reading about "missed one...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
243winxb
November 24, 2008, 04:47 PM
Just how much over trim lenght was the round? http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_/ai_n14816186

243winxb
November 24, 2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5102047&postcount=9 This got me thinking, i know a bolt action will crimp the bullet, but would an AR 15?? Thinking maybe the action would not close far enough to fire? :confused:

rcmodel
November 24, 2008, 07:06 PM
The only way a long case would tightly jam an AR is if you are crimping the bullets when you seat them.

An extra long case would receive enough crimp that there is no place to put it all in the bullet cannulure, and it will buckle the shoulder imperceptably.

Then when it chambers and the bolt won't lock, you will need a three-man crew to get it back out with the charge handle.

The best bet is to try and beat it on in with the FA and shoot it.

rcmodel

RustyFN
November 24, 2008, 09:38 PM
I don't like trimming brass much myself. I usually trim around 2,000 223 cases at a time to get them out of the way.
Rusty

evan price
November 25, 2008, 01:52 AM
Trimming suxors. I keep a bucket of .308 brass that is over 2.015" that is the "waiting to trim" bucket. Right now I have some spare .308 brass so I can afford to wait until I need it.

Sort, clean, deprime, swage, resize, trim, chamfer, tumble, rifle is a PITA compared to .38 special.

243winxb
November 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
The only way a long case would tightly jam an AR is if you are crimping the bullets when you seat them.

An extra long case would receive enough crimp that there is no place to put it all in the bullet cannulure, and it will buckle the shoulder imperceptably.
That would do it. I dont crimp, so never run into that one in 223. Seen people doing it with 38 specials, buldging the case.

SSN Vet
November 25, 2008, 12:03 PM

Because the Ogee is inconsistant on the Winchester bulk bullets I'm loading,

I seat to the cannelure (short stroking the ram and visually checking and then seating deeper if need) and let the OAL float around 2.210" to 2.220"

I measure OAL frequently.... but not every cartridge.

I set the offending cartridge aside and will pull the bullet and measure the case tonight if I can get to it.

rcmodel
November 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
Be aware that you cannot see a crimp induced .223 shoulder buckle with the naked eye that is big enough to stop an AR cold.

I first ran into it years ago when I got my first AR-15. (1970)
My early SP-1 didn't have a forward assist, so I ended up shooting them in a Mini-14.
They would work in it because I could beat the bolt shut with the op rod handle!

I'd suggest you take one of the offending rounds and color it with a black Magic-Marker, then try to chamber it again.
When you get it back out, the rubbed off Magic-Marker will show you what is tight where.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "missed one...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!