Quality of AR-15 finish?

PDA

The Deer Hunter
November 24, 2008, 09:24 PM
So I have often been stumped by this, but how come AR-15's have such a poor looking finish? The aluminum could be hard anodized a really nice satin black color but instead manufacturers insist on that "carbon build up on the inside of your charcoal grill" look.

I'm not trying to hate on the guns, but for the price some people pay for AR-15s, you would think some sort of nicer finish would arise.

I don't know though, maybe people like that rough and tumble military look.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quality of AR-15 finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
November 24, 2008, 09:35 PM
The AR15 does not try to look like a polished and blued Weatherby.

However, if you like the shine, several vendors will sell you a high-gloss paint job.

Sounds like the AR15 just isn't for you though.

bgeddes
November 24, 2008, 09:44 PM
but how come AR-15's have such a poor looking finish?

Because, believe it or not, they are military rifles. Shiny stuff can cause a reflection and let the enemy know where you are hiding.

I think it looks cool too.

ServiceSoon
November 24, 2008, 09:46 PM
Does the finish on the AR's have function? That is, do they protect from corrosion?

woodfiend
November 24, 2008, 09:47 PM
You bet it does!

The Deer Hunter
November 24, 2008, 09:49 PM
It protects the aluminum from oxidizing?

Coronach
November 24, 2008, 09:53 PM
Aluminum does oxidize, but it happens at a rate and manner that makes it irrelevant. Mostly the finish just gives the receivers a flat, neutral appearance.

The steel of the barrel is another matter re: oxidization.

Mike

Erik
November 24, 2008, 10:34 PM
Given the tender loving abuse and do-it-yourself paint schemes so popular these days in the field, I doubt a nicer finish would matter much. Accept in maybe hastening the first round of of painting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quality of AR-15 finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!