Garand handguard w/o heatshield

PDA

7mmsavage
November 25, 2008, 06:46 AM
I just got a set of handguards for the old Garand, and there is no heatshield between the barrel and op rod. I thought that I could just put in the shield from my original handguards, but there are no cuts in the wood. IAnyone have any experience with these, or know for sure if there are any negative or even positive effects?

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand handguard w/o heatshield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Swampy
November 25, 2008, 08:18 AM
7mmsavage,

Are you referring to the sheet steel liner that goes in the front handguard??.... The purpose of the liner is to stiffen the handguard and prevent it from breaking-collapsing when grasped. It's not a heat shield.

If the liner is what yo are referring to, and the front handguard you bought does not have the slots cut for the liner, then you got a defective piece of wood. I have purchased quite a bit of M1 wood over the years and have never see one without the proper liner cuts.

BTW.... the only time an M1 is ever intentionally used without a handguard liner is for a purpose built Match Grade M1. In this case the front handguard is free floated off the barrel by glueing and screwing it to the lower band and releiving the front ferrule so that it does not touch anything.

Once this is done however, the front handguard is very fragile and many shooters will attach tape to it with big red letters stating, "HANDS OFF". If you pick up the rifle by a free floated HG you risk breaking it at the screw-glue joint and causing it to vibrate against the barrel at the front end.... pretty much ruining it as an accuracy enhancement.

In the end.... you got a bad handguard. Send it back.

Just my two bits,
Swampy

Garands forever

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand handguard w/o heatshield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!