Can someone explain the extinction of AK parts kits plz?

PDA

wacki
November 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
I guess AK's used to be cheap. Now that is no longer the case because the parts kits are either not coming into the country or don't contain barrels. Is this because they were all surplus that has gone dry? Is there a ban on full parts kits?

Fill me in on the inside scoop thanks! :-D

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone explain the extinction of AK parts kits plz?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stubbicatt
November 25, 2008, 10:07 AM
Two main factors: Outer Slobobia manufactured X number of rifles, all of which were retired and demilled and sent to the US several years ago. These kits are now exhausted, and Outer Slobobia is no longer manufacturing them.

The other is a barrel ban instituted by the ATF, so that any kits which are imported, do not have a barrel... this second factor is not as great as the first, as quality US made barrels have found their way onto kits, and the resulting products often shoot extremely well.

MAKster
November 25, 2008, 10:43 AM
Eventually all the warehouses full of surplus rifles will run dry. All the current military rifles are select fire or automatic so they will never be available. Future demand will be met with new AKs from Saiga and others. In the future the only "new" surplus guns will be pistols like the Sig P6 guns from the German police.

elmerfudd
November 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
All the old rifles were also select fire or automatic. They just cut the receiver up and imported them as parts.

My own guess is that the parts kits will disappear forever. While a ban may or may not happen, in two months we will have an out and out anti-gun government and we can expect that they will use their bureaucratic and regulatory power to stop the import of guns and gun parts that they don't like.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone explain the extinction of AK parts kits plz?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!