Gamo Whisper air rifle

PDA

Corporal K
November 25, 2008, 11:22 AM
Anyone have one? They seem a little pricey. Are they worth the money (for plinking and varmint removal)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gamo Whisper air rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
November 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
That "silencer" is about useless on a spring powered rifle. Still this loud "SPROINGGGGG" ever time you fire it.

My kid got one last year from his granddad. Shoots just fine and all but that whole silencer business is a joke.

LTB15J
November 25, 2008, 12:07 PM
don't waste your time on the whisper. if you want a true gimmicky and cool air rifle setup, get the crosman discovery :)

http://www.discoveryairrifle.com/

i have to admit with the co2 adaptor it seems like a really convenient and powerful air rifle. not sure on the overall reliability

lipadj46
November 25, 2008, 12:44 PM
Much of the noise from those really high powered air rifles (over 1100 ft/sec) comes from the pellet going super sonic anyways so a silencer does not do much good. I have a ruger pellet gun that was given to me and it is almost as loud as a .22.

Edit: I see the Gamo whisper is 1000 ft/sec but as others mentions you still get much noise from the spring action.

elmerfudd
November 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
Going supersonic with an airgun is just a bad idea. Pellets have truly horrible BC's and they will shed that velocity extremely quickly, so within 20 yards or so the pellet will go transonic and your groups will go to hell.

Silencers on airguns work much better with pneumatic guns, either PCP or multipump. On those they work fantastically. They also work reasonably well on CO2 guns. On spring guns, about half the noise comes from the action of the rifle and a silencer can do nothing to quiet that. So you can reduce the report, but not eliminate it. It's also my understanding that the noise of a spring airgun varies depending on where you are relative to it. I've been told that when you're downrange the blast sound is more pronounced than the sound of the action and although I've fired thousands of pellets from spring airguns, I don't recall ever having been downrange of one when it was fired.

I do know however that in the UK, where silencers are common, that they put them on most spring airguns. So apparently they feel they serve a purpose.

Corporal K
November 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I like the look and concept of the GW, but I'm glad I didn't fork over the dough for one.

What air rifles you guys have? Kill any small varmints?

elmerfudd
November 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've had a number of airguns. My current hunting rig is an AirArms S410E. A gun like that is fairly pricey, but it's a phenomenal hunting machine. It's nearly silent, spits out 15.9 grain .22 pellets at close to 1000 fps and will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards.

My sister has a small flock of peafowl and she periodically has me thin them out. Last Sunday, I took two hens, both with headshots. One was offhand at around 20 yards. The other was from a sitting position at 50 yards. I've taken a lot of crows, rabbits and starlings with that gun as well.

I've also owned a Beeman Kodiak, RWS34, several cheaper guns and have done PCP conversions on Crosmans and Chinese CO2's.

For a first hunting and plinking airgun, I'd go with the best spring gun you can afford, but don't confuse power and quality. Powerful spring piston airguns have a lot of drawbacks and generally a gun that's rated at 1000 fps in .177 or 800 fps in .22 will be a better hunting gun than it's "magnum" counterpart. The more powerful you make a spring gun the heavier and the less controllable they become and the tougher they are on scopes. It's easy to end up with an 11 lb. jackhammer when you start buying airguns based on power. Just remember that even the most powerful spring airguns are less powerful than a .22 CB cap. The only way they will kill is with precise shot placement and it's a lot easier to place that shot precisely with a gun that's not hold sensitive to the nth degree.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gamo Whisper air rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!