May be old, but.. Question: Barrel Explosion

PDA

zombienerd
November 25, 2008, 03:59 PM
What could have caused this? My guess is overpowered hand-loads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKP1OkR1fA

If you enjoyed reading about "May be old, but.. Question: Barrel Explosion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
November 25, 2008, 04:11 PM
Nope...Plugged barrel caused that. Over pressure hand load will cause the damage at the breech instead at the end of the barrel...
Some time during his travels up to that point he gounded his barrel and didn't notice. Or he had an obstruction from long ago and never inspected his barrel before loading.

Ol` Joe
November 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
Yep, a good reminder to keep the muzzle taped after checking to make sure there is nothing in there during a hunt.

highorder
November 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
That's a barrel obstruction.

It might have been a bore spud from a hasty boresight, or just some mud.

hksw
November 25, 2008, 10:53 PM
Wow. That's the first I've actually seen a barrel split in action.

Wonder9
November 25, 2008, 11:26 PM
Wow. I think I would've been recounting my fingers multiple times. He's quite the hunter... after a few quick "Oh, my God's", he's right back on task.

atblis
November 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
YEah. Local shop here had a 7mm STW that had split like that. Yikes.

The owner had gotten snow down the barrel.

offthepaper
November 26, 2008, 09:47 AM
Whoa! :what:

Double Naught Spy
November 26, 2008, 09:59 AM
The lack of concern of the camera guy or other hunters is bizarre.

atblis
November 26, 2008, 11:20 AM
Camera man asks if he is okay, and the guy responds that he is. I think that is why nobody is hovering over him asking if he is okay.

highorder
November 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have held barrels split like that and worse...

Makes me chuckle that Mythbusters could NOT reproduce the results, and called the "myth" BUSTED.

Yeah.

Did I mention that they tried to recreate the "myth"... with a 12ga 870?

The apparently have no understanding of operating pressure. Try that with most rifle cartridges, and you will banana peel it almost every time.

JonB
November 27, 2008, 05:43 PM
One of my duck hunting buddy's son peeled his 20ga shotgun this year. My brother in law said it looked just like the old Elmer FUdd cartoons. I wasn't there but asked if the barrel was plugged with something - answer was no. He said if you looked close at the edges of the 'peels' they were already rusted. Old shotgun with modern steel duck loads. No one hurt at all and the son got a new 12 gauge so at least it ended well.

If you enjoyed reading about "May be old, but.. Question: Barrel Explosion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!