assessing a BAR for purchase

PDA

burningsquirrels
November 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
local shop has a browning bar in 30-06 that i'm interested in buying. some of the things i notice about it:

- cosmetically, it's used. nothing wrong with that. no rust, just wear marks.
- has a picatinny rail on top of the receiver.
- the barrel is only 16" long and was recrowned.
- the stock is a little loose, does this tighten up like my 11-87 with a nut inside the stock?
- does the BAR have a self-regulating gas system, so i can shoot reduced power loads?
- the serial begins with 137 PP 23XXX... how old do you think it is? i googled but didn't see any serial number history.

the only thing i don't like about the bar is the small magazine capacity and the swing down floor plate, if something decides to come take a bite out of my leg lol. but that's what my .40 cal on my hip is for.

what do you guys think? price is very reasonable, maybe 325. i figure i'll just toss on a scope and look for babmi and wilbur.

thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "assessing a BAR for purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
November 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
137 is the model number, PP means 1988.

The gas system is not readily adjustable and probably will not cycle the low power loads. A loose stock should be easily tightened up unless there is damage, although the forends will often be just a little loose no matter what you do.

That's a cheap price assuming it shoots, I have one in .270 and one in '06 and they have been very good rifles.

burningsquirrels
November 25, 2008, 07:20 PM
thanks for the input.

the foward furniture is tight, it's just the stock that's a little loose. maybe i'll go there later and take it to the bench and see if i can fix it.

i'm concerned a little about the 16" barrel. i have never owned a real rifle. aren't they supposed to be 22, 24, and 26" barrels? i'm guessing someone chopped it down to make a brush gun?

browningguy
November 25, 2008, 09:07 PM
Yep, those models were normally 22" barrels, probably cut down, hopefully recrowned right. If not recrowning is a pretty cheap thing to do. I wouldn't worry too much about the length, I also shoot a HK SLB2000K with a 19" barrel in '06 and it does fine.

Blacksmoke
November 25, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have a Belgian made BAR (.30-06) and love it dearly. Like you indidcated I wish there was a high capacity magazine readily available for it. However, for hunting the four round capacity is fine.

I have never tried low pressure ammo. However from shooting low pressure .44 mag in a Ruger Deerfield, one solution is to manually operate the bolt to cycle. Since it is a quick pull and push or release, actually. .It is fast enough. Just a suggestion.

I agree that the barrel lenght should not be a major problem unless you are planning a lot of 500 yard shots.

If you enjoyed reading about "assessing a BAR for purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!