24 vs. The Shield

PDA

bogie
January 15, 2003, 10:54 AM
Okay - they're both out on DVD, and I've just about finished Band of Brothers - I've been watching it with a few days between episodes.

Which means that Bogie's Bunker is going to need another "ongoing" entertainment.

So, action, guns, and shootin-stuff considered, which would y'all recommend?

By the way - Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever has only ONE socially redeeming value - when Lucy Liu goes Runtal with a pair of those extendable batons...

If you enjoyed reading about "24 vs. The Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
January 15, 2003, 11:03 AM
I watched both series last year and liked The Shield best. And this season (which just started last week) is even better.

Russ
January 15, 2003, 11:06 AM
The Shield is great but I and so was 24 last year. Best TV in a long time. Has 24 started this year yet?

I really like " The Dead Zone" too. I like them all.

CatsDieNow
January 15, 2003, 11:06 AM
I've never seen 'The Shield' , but I thought '24' was great. Fewer cheesy parts than most shows. Shooting-wise...remember it's TV and don't set your expectations too high.

DVD is the only way to watch TV. No comercials, a pause button, no waiting a week for the next episode.

762x51
January 15, 2003, 11:08 AM
I haven't seen 24 yet but The Shield is a great show. Hkmp5sd is right, so far the second season is even better.

Gordon
January 15, 2003, 11:19 AM
The Shield gets MY juices flowing, haven't seen anything hokey yet.

Rickstir
January 15, 2003, 11:20 AM
24 will be showing its 6th episode next week....I think.

Mackie kicks butt.... Hollywood of course, but butt none the less.

SADshooter
January 15, 2003, 11:25 AM
As an avid fan of both, 24 has more weapon/action content. But its also fantasy in a way, as the espionage realism quotient is low (as far as my knowledge of real spies goes, which is nowhere). The Shield has a gritty, seamy realism that trumps almost everything else for violence and cynicism.

Some of the portrayals on 24 make me want to reach through the TV and reality-slap someone. As a friend of mine said regarding The Shield, "there's nobody to root for". A lot of doom & gloom for your viewing hour.

All that said, I'm still watching. ;)

nualle
January 15, 2003, 11:33 AM
...when Lucy Liu goes Runtal...
Hey Runt! You're an adverb! :D

M1911
January 15, 2003, 07:51 PM
24 is great fun to watch. Though it is a bit high on the tinfoil-hat quotient (don't trust anyone...)

BamBam
January 15, 2003, 07:55 PM
The Shield is darn near Soprano's quality. You will not be dissapointed.

JPM70535
January 15, 2003, 08:06 PM
The biggest surprise to me has been that none of the major networks has picked up the rights to The Shield. Great show,doesn't portray the cops as anything other than human, and doesn't try and canonizethe BGs. Mackey is superb.

spacemanspiff
January 15, 2003, 08:12 PM
honestly i prefer NYPD Blue over the Shield. Sipowicz is what Mackey wishes he could be when he grows up.

why hasnt NYPD hasnt been released on dvd yet?

garrettwc
January 15, 2003, 11:05 PM
I was addicted to '24' from the very first episode last year. This year is even better. Just when you think you know what's going on a new plot twist.:cool:

I haven't seen The Shield, cable rates cut into my ammo budget:p

Everything I have heard about The Shield is good. That would be my pick, but only because I have seen '24'.

Check your local Blockbuster or on F/X if you have cable. You can catch reruns or rent a couple of episodes of both shows to see which you like.

blades67
January 15, 2003, 11:18 PM
I like "24" better.

Kahr carrier
January 16, 2003, 04:57 AM
I like them both .:)

JMLV
January 16, 2003, 08:11 AM
can't watch 24.

Fed168
January 16, 2003, 08:43 AM
I won't complain about either one. It's about the only new TV that I watch, unless I get unlucky and am forced to sit through Buffy or Felicity:banghead

COHIBA
January 16, 2003, 09:07 AM
i dig 'em both. the shield, however, has a pretty obvious outcome. how long can mackie keep juggling an estranged wife, a rouge captian w/ political asperations, an internal auditor, a crew of idiots, a detective thats on to him, a PI investigating him and a suicidal mexican drug lord?
i think the only question left unanswered is if he'll go to prison or be shot down.

Fed168
January 16, 2003, 09:37 AM
I think Mackey is going to be shot this season. All he did was leave the drug lord angry.

Rickstir
January 16, 2003, 11:50 AM
If the producers renew his contract, Mackey will survive. If they don't, he swallows one of the 92FSs on the last show.:rolleyes:

Hkmp5sd
January 16, 2003, 12:21 PM
Mackey IS the show.

BTW, you just missed seeing the first season for free. They reran the first season with 2 episodes per night the week before the new season began.

RikWriter
January 16, 2003, 01:42 PM
They're both great shows but I like 24 slightly more because Bauer is as much of a bad-@$$ as Mackey but smarter and without the corruption.

Pendragon
January 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
Yes - I never cared much for Kiefer Sutherland until 24.

The show does have its reality challenged moments, but it is great fun.

The best part was first season this year when he just flat killed that guy in the interrogation room and then asks for a saw :evil: oh - but its ok folks, he was a child molester ;)

gryphon
January 16, 2003, 04:54 PM
I could not get into 24. Now The Sheild on the other hand, I never miss. There are very few "regular" TV shows that I watch.

Normally, I watch the Sopranos and Oz on HBO. Then I watch Stargate SG-1 on sci-fi, Enterprise on UPN.

ROSANGHAL
January 17, 2003, 01:27 PM
Definitely The Shield.

Ross T.

If you enjoyed reading about "24 vs. The Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!