Polymer vs. Stainless, nickel, etc...

PDA

moi_self26
November 25, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ok, so this is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to all of this so please cut me a little slack. As far as durability/usability/shooting quality....what if anything are the major differences between polymer and the various metals used for production. Is it really all just preference and design, or is there more to it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer vs. Stainless, nickel, etc..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Butter
November 25, 2008, 08:36 PM
Steel is great and heavy, plastic is cheaper to fabricate but is very durable. Look at some 20 year old Glocks to tell you about longevity for polymer frames.

Aluminum frames though, all things being equal, might be less long-lived than either polymer or steel, but I have seen some Sigs that bear witness to a lot of use and not a lot of visible wear.

trackaddict88
November 26, 2008, 03:07 AM
Steel is great and heavy, plastic is cheaper to fabricate but is very durable. Look at some 20 year old Glocks to tell you about longevity for polymer frames.

Ditto. We'll know when Glocks have been around for 100 years like 1911's. Then again I won't be around to check!

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer vs. Stainless, nickel, etc..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!