Price of AR-15: Comparison

PDA

kcmarine
November 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
Recently, I got a job. I'm still 17. I believe I now have the necessary cash (well, at least the necessary cash flow) to get an AR-15 of one type or another. The problem is that I don't have a grasp of post- election prices for the following AR-15's:

Olympic K4B-A4

Charles Daly Defense CDDR1520

Bushmaster Target Model Rifle A2 20"

They do seem to be more expensive now, but that's just MSRP. Can some of you guys who have direct experience with these particular weapons tell me what the prices are? If you haven't, can you canvas your local gun shops and find out? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price of AR-15: Comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
November 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
I bought a CD lower assembly and it is very nice. Their rifles have gotten really good reviews over on M4Carbine.net (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13937)

I had a bushy, and no complaints with it.

A shooting buddy has an Oly, and he likes it, but I would give the edge to CD or Bushmaster.

Prices right now? Some people are taking advantage of the run on ARs and some aren't.

taliv
November 25, 2008, 09:25 PM
skip the oly.
the CD D4MLE is an excellent choice if you can find one.
I wouldn't pay more than $1100 for one though.
i normally wouldn't be too keen on a bushmaster either, but in this market, if you could find one for $1000, it's probably a good deal.

that's just what I'd pay. I've seen them going for way higher than that. I just think you'd be getting screwed if you paid $1000 for an oly, or $1300 for a bushy.

your best bet might be to put a "AR15 wanted" ad in a local paper and hope.

kcmarine
November 25, 2008, 11:17 PM
Any price figures?

Fowler72
November 26, 2008, 02:34 AM
Lewis Machine And Tool - Great rifle. Better price.

coyotehitman
November 26, 2008, 02:48 AM
DO NOT BUY AN AR IN THIS MARKET. Price gougers have crawled out of the woodwork and a basic AR is not worth the prices most are asking.

Prices will settle back down.

If you must have one now, Gander Mountain had some S&W M4's for 8 something.

ugaarguy
November 26, 2008, 03:12 AM
DO NOT BUY AN AR IN THIS MARKET.
Good advice
Price gougers have crawled out of the woodwork
Demand has skyrocketed, manufacturing capability has not caught up, and supply is, therefor, limited. Manufacturers and distributors have raised prices according to the demand. THIS IS NOT PRICE GOUGING. It's the simple reality of free market economics. In simple terms it's inflation. Specifically it is Demand Pull Inflation, which is actually good inflation. In demand pull inflation the consumer demand is high and it pulls the price of the product higher. This increases sales and manufacturer profit, and strengthens the economy. Cost Push Inflation, in contrast, occurs when the cost of materials and or manufacture pushes the price of a product higher. When this occurs consumer demand decreases in response to the higher price, manufacturers sell less product, make less money, and the economy suffers.
and a basic AR is not worth the prices most are asking.
In a free market the value of any good or service is determined by what the market is willing to pay for it. Based upon sales and demand, AR-15s are worth the current prices.
Prices will settle back down.
Very likely, and I hope so.

Guns and more
November 26, 2008, 11:31 AM
Go on gunbroker.com and see what the market is. You'll be discouraged, as I am. Last week a Bushmaster sold for $1900.
Eventually, the people with money to burn will have theirs, and the guys who lost their jobs will be selling.

In a free market the value of any good or service is determined by what the market is willing to pay for it. Based upon sales and demand, AR-15s are worth the current prices.
I agree. I hope you were saying that about the price of gas a few months ago. Or plywood and generators after a hurricane.
(of course, I don't NEED an AR, so the analogy is not 100% accurate, but still true.)

H2O MAN
November 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
It ain't price gouging if the buyer is willing to pay the asking price.

Supply is low, demand is high. Expect to pay a premium price if you have to have an AR right now.

Deals are still out there... I have scored two brand NEW POF
lowers for below MSRP and I don't even like the AR that much.

jpatterson
November 26, 2008, 11:41 AM
Check out this site (if the KC in your name refers to Kansas City, anyway)

http://www.kcguntrader.com/default.asp

I am from around KC and occasionally they will have a good deal on things. Also a good place to put a wanted ad. I have always had good results with this site.

Keep searching, and you may find a weird deal like I did on an AR.

jpatterson
November 26, 2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.kcguntrader.com/viewad.asp?id=50002281985100502

$375 for a complete Armalite lower with a 2 stage trigger and collapsible stock.
I don't know squat about Armalite but that might be close to a decent price.

expvideo
November 26, 2008, 11:49 AM
$375 for a complete Armalite lower with a 2 stage trigger and collapsible stock.
I don't know squat about Armalite but that might be close to a decent price.

It's fair.

To the OP,
Buy a parts kit. You aren't 18, so you can't buy the gun itself, but if you buy the parts kit, you can build the gun on a receiver when you turn 18. That way, all you have to worry about is the price of a receiver, which currently runs about $139 due to price gouging. Asside from the receiver, the parts can all be shipped to your door and you won't be in any trouble for being under age.

thatoneguy
November 26, 2008, 12:16 PM
KC Marine, if you are looking for a decent AR, let me know. I am getting a 16" bull barrel upper with a YH 4 rail handguard and 4 rail gas block A3 flattop for $600ish from my ffl. I also picked a built lower from him for around $300 and thats with a CAA grip and CAA stock. Just look for the honest guys and they'll get you taken care of. His name is Darrel out of D9firearms.com (http://www.d9firearms.com). He also has my 18" SDM Grendel upper coming in too.

Thanks for the rec on KC Guntrader, I'm one of the guys that run the site.

I have seen a cmmg trash bin guns that sell for $550 go for $1000, ridiculous.

kcmarine
November 26, 2008, 01:02 PM
Problem is guys... when will the market settle down? The way I see it happening, people are going to continue this panic until

A) Obama finally restricts ownership; or

B) Obama is voted out of office without any such controls on AR type rifles and the like.

In case A, I don't get the reasonably priced rifle at all, and in case B, I could be waiting up to 8 years for an AR-15, and at the end of those 8 years, there could be yet another anti- gun president who would AGAIN cause a panic on rifles.

See the dilemma here? Beggars can't be choosers is what I guess I'm trying to say here.

gregormeister
November 26, 2008, 01:37 PM
Look in your Shotgun news and there are Century AR-15s that are knock-offs of the M-16 A2 service rifle that the real Marines used for $599.99...Just ruffling your feathers a bit, but that is a decent priced entry level AR.

gregormeister
November 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
Oh and in shotgun news you can build a complete AR for around 600..meaning you can pick and choose a bit more..

Nhsport
November 26, 2008, 03:27 PM
I am not familar with the CD , but I would steer you away from the Oly and towards a Bushy,stag , armalite or Rock River.
Some folks are satisfied with Oly but they are the yugo's of the AR world.
The oly generally has a lower level of fit,finish and general quality and will never have near the resale of the others.
If you spend time on the boards you will find folks who swear by one brand over all others but some of that is just brand loyality, ford vs chevy if you will . As I said , Oly is regarded by myself and many others as much lower quality and value.
Another brand to consider is DPMS. They make some entry level (simple features) AR's that are price competitive with the Olys but a beter all around rifle.
Don't overlook a used AR . Folks are tradeing all the time to get an AR with different features and AR's are rarely shot to the point of being worn out.

I also advise you to set aside a couple of hundred for a rimfire conversion. For Any one interested in ARs on a budget they are necessary.

kcmarine
November 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hm... any specific, detailed, story- backed reasons why I should stay away from Olympic? Preferably that occurred with a firearm made in the last 5 years...

ugaarguy
November 26, 2008, 09:57 PM
Buy a parts kit. You aren't 18, so you can't buy the gun itself, but if you buy the parts kit, you can build the gun on a receiver when you turn 18. That way, all you have to worry about is the price of a receiver, which currently runs about $139 due to price gouging. Asside from the receiver, the parts can all be shipped to your door and you won't be in any trouble for being under age.
According new instructions issued by BATFE with the revised 4473 FFL Dealers may not sell any frame or receiver only to a person under 21 years of age. Only complete rifles and shotguns may be transferred to persons under 21.

buckeye8
December 8, 2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the 'almost dead'... but I happened to be reading this a few minutes after I saw a WASR 3 (.223 AK) on Gunbroker with a Buy Now Price of $1,007.00!!! Not sure what the Reserve is, but is there actually someone willing to shell out a cool grand for a Romanian AK (a model with more than a few known quality issues at that)? I thought they were starting to become a ripoff at the $400 mark. People need to get a grip!

shuvelrider
December 8, 2008, 04:21 PM
I would recommend the CD, only cuz that is what I have and with 18 years in the military shooting different contract A2,s the army uses. Go to the Charles Daly website and check the forum for info and ask questions. My CD15 shoots well with factory, steelcase, and my reloads. FWIW, shop around and do your homework so you wont be disappointed, buy what YOU want and like.

CSestp
December 8, 2008, 05:23 PM
Buy a mini 14 first, and shoot a few other rifles until you know you like the 5.56 round. Mini 14 isn't as sexy but it fires the same round is a hella lot cheaper, and will run forever if you treat it fair. Puts the zombies back in the dirt just fine as well. If you figure out you really like the 5.56 round graduate to the AR-15.

Just One Shot
December 8, 2008, 06:06 PM
I was at the local gun show Sat. and I saw a complete AR-15 from DPMS in for $995.00 The same vendor had another brand for the same price. I told him that I was surprised he still had them with the run on them lately.

expvideo
December 8, 2008, 07:14 PM
According new instructions issued by BATFE with the revised 4473 FFL Dealers may not sell any frame or receiver only to a person under 21 years of age. Only complete rifles and shotguns may be transferred to persons under 21.
Are you sure? Do you have any kind of link to this? When I bought my receiver in November, it was run as a Long Gun, since there is no option to just run a receiver as a part. Granted, I'm over 21, but this sounds really obscure to me. Are you sure that it doesn't just apply to receivers marked as "pistol" receivers?

kcmarine
December 8, 2008, 08:37 PM
So... now I can't buy the parts kit... *** man?

HOLY DIVER
December 8, 2008, 08:50 PM
OLYMPIC lmao i'm getting sick of posting this but i can't bring myself to stop because i know the truth on the matter oly got a bad wrap when they built a "poor mans" AR the only diff was it had a cast lower they called it the "plinker" they cought so much much flack about that cast lower that now they DO NOT MANF. ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A FORGED LOWER. i'm not defending the cast lower....i don't want one
i own i repeat i own a oylmpic 20' flat top forged lower i also own a 20' COLT FLAT TOP ......eat your heart out folks they both group very very tight pretty much the same no malfunctions except fot the colt but i'm allmost 100% sure it was due to a bad magazine,now the colt did have one slam fire i have no idea what happened there but rethinking it makes my heart skip a beat !

Big Daddy Grim
December 8, 2008, 08:54 PM
I just bought a Smith M&P for 790$ so the deals are still out there just have to look.

45B@cav
December 8, 2008, 09:42 PM
I use DPMS lowers almost exclusively. My AR rifles are all frankenguns and I don't think I have more than $800.00 in any of them.

FlyinBryan
December 9, 2008, 12:26 AM
It ain't price gouging if the buyer is willing to pay the asking price.

yes it is price gouging.

price gouging is when folks have to pay more than they should to obtain items of which they have no control of the price, and no other recourse but to get screwed.

if it aint price gouging if the buyer is willing to pay the inflated price, then price gouging doesnt exist.

i was at the gun show this weekend with my brother and it made me wonder if every gun dealer voted obama to make a quick fortune.

AR-15 Rep
December 9, 2008, 01:00 AM
Prices have gone up from the manufacturers all the way up to the consumer. Credit before the run kept manufacturers from getting materials to have sitting on the shelf for the just in case scenario. Now they are producing more for the demand. But to get parts out before Jan 20 they have additional expenses as well. They also realize that after Jan 20th this could lead to many canceled orders so they are not willing to open new manufacturing facilities for a short term demand.

madcratebuilder
December 9, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hm... any specific, detailed, story- backed reasons why I should stay away from Olympic? Preferably that occurred with a firearm made in the last 5 years...

There is nothing wrong with the newer Oly's. The cheap plinker they made years ago gave them a bad rep, they don't deserve. I'm building a Oly now and find the parts to be as nice as BM, RRA and any other quality manufacturer.

coyotehitman
December 9, 2008, 09:42 AM
yes it is price gouging.

price gouging is when folks have to pay more than they should to obtain items of which they have no control of the price, and no other recourse but to get screwed.

if it aint price gouging if the buyer is willing to pay the inflated price, then price gouging doesnt exist.

i was at the gun show this weekend with my brother and it made me wonder if every gun dealer voted obama to make a quick fortune.

My point exactly.

Please spare me the ECON 201 rhetoric. I have a business degree, I understand supply and demand, and I recognize price gouging when I see it. These ridiculous mag and AR prices are price gouging, plain and simple.

When 9/11 occurred and the gas stations began charging up to 7.00 a gallon for gas (when it was only worth 1.50) because of increased demand, the government called it price gouging and ordered refunds to those who were victimized. Those who refused were prosecuted. Folks paid it because they felt they had no choice (panic buying), but they did not like it one damned bit. This is no different IMO.

Do not let fear of loss compel you to pay a ridiculous price for an AR or a magazine. Pick up a parts kit now, prices are still stable on them, and put your name on a waiting list for a lower from AIM, who has chosen not to price gouge their customers.

So... now I can't buy the parts kit... *** man?

Yes, you can buy a parts kit.

taliv
December 9, 2008, 09:48 AM
Pick up a parts kit now, prices are still stable on them,

heh, find me one in stock somewhere and i will

(i'm on two waiting lists for them now)

coyotehitman
December 9, 2008, 09:15 PM
What are you looking for Taliv, I could have bought anything I wanted at the last show, and it was all in stock and on the table.

taliv
December 9, 2008, 09:31 PM
what i want:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DGRTA
or:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24955&title=AR-15%20LOWER%20RECEIVER%20PARTS%20KIT
or (all the individual colt parts are out of stock as well at brownells)

but even...
stag is out
http://global-tactical.com/partkits.aspx

even dpms is out of stock
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/lpk%20-%20semi.htm

and dpms, olympic and doublestar are all out of stock
http://midwayusa.com/Search/?search_keywords=lower+parts&category_selector=#lower%20parts____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

actually, i think i may have found an arfcom dealer with rra parts kits in stock, but they include their 2-stage trigger which i don't want

kcmarine
December 9, 2008, 09:44 PM
Can we make this a sticky? I want this to be the place where members can swap info about cheap AR parts... any help right now would be good.

Timradcliffe345
December 9, 2008, 10:14 PM
Buy a Colt, they're the gold standard.

FlyinBryan
December 9, 2008, 10:28 PM
Buy a Colt, they're the gold standard

you can do WAY better for WAY less.

taliv
December 9, 2008, 10:38 PM
tim, where can i buy colt LPKs besides brownells, which is out of stock?

ugaarguy
December 10, 2008, 01:36 AM
My point exactly.

Please spare me the ECON 201 rhetoric. I have a business degree, I understand supply and demand, and I recognize price gouging when I see it. These ridiculous mag and AR prices are price gouging, plain and simple.
Perhaps you haven't read my other posts. Dealer prices went up drastically after the election. Distributors still sold out of these high demand items. The manufacturers are back ordered. This is not price gouging.
When 9/11 occurred and the gas stations began charging up to 7.00 a gallon for gas (when it was only worth 1.50) because of increased demand, the government called it price gouging and ordered refunds to those who were victimized. Those who refused were prosecuted. Folks paid it because they felt they had no choice (panic buying), but they did not like it one damned bit. This is no different IMO.
With all respect, go retake your econ class. Unleaded gasoline is a necessity in our society. Without it, we can't to and from work, home, and school. There is also no readily available, acceptable, substitute.

No particular firearm is a necessity to most in our society. Even if you needed a firearm for hunting, predator control, or self defense in an increased risk environment there are readily available, and acceptable, substitutes for an AR-15/AK/Mini/HK/FAL/SKS. Dealer racks are still full of new and used pump shotguns, double bbl. shotguns, bolt action rifles, semi-auto rifles (BAR, Remington 740/7400/742), pump rifles (Remington 7600/7615), single shots (rifles and shotguns), and large caliber handguns (revolvers, semi-autos, and single shots).

Do not let fear of loss compel you to pay a ridiculous price for an AR or a magazine. Pick up a parts kit now, prices are still stable on them, and put your name on a waiting list for a lower from AIM, who has chosen not to price gouge their customers.
You've just explained the difference yourself. There is no ill circumstance if you wait to purchase a complete AR-15 or obtain one through buying parts and assembling it yourself.

In contrast, an empty gas tank means you can't get to work. That in turn means you don't get paid, which in turn means you lose your primary means of providing (via exchanging money for) food, water, clothing, and shelter for yourself and your family.

That is the difference between a simple increase in price because of a spike in demand, and price gouging.

RichardKCMo
December 10, 2008, 02:04 AM
No particular firearm is a necessity to most in our society. Even if you needed a firearm for hunting, predator control, or self defense in an increased risk environment there are readily available, and acceptable, substitutes for an AR-15/AK/Mini/HK/FAL/SKS. Dealer racks are still full of new and used pump shotguns, double bbl. shotguns, bolt action rifles, semi-auto rifles (BAR, Remington 740/7400/742), pump rifles (Remington 7600/7615), single shots (rifles and shotguns), and large caliber handguns (revolvers, semi-autos, and single shots).

That is the reason i won't pay more than an sks is worth , i'll go to the next level 1st.....
RichardKCMo.

coyotehitman
December 13, 2008, 06:00 AM
It looks like most of the dealers are stuck buying post ban configuration rifles now, or they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for off brands.

gunmaker2872
December 14, 2008, 01:45 AM
I just bought this bushmaster a few days ago for 800$, with all the extras and truglow scope:neener:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo241/jbmovingservice/ar15.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Price of AR-15: Comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!