S&W 1911 or the Desert Eagle ?

PDA

hot_sauce
November 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
I currently own a glock. Want to make a switch, went to the local gunshop here in Pakistan and I saw both the S&W 1911 and the Desert Eagle.

Havent ever fired either one of those. Which handgun would you recommend ?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 1911 or the Desert Eagle ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coyote3855
November 26, 2008, 09:49 AM
S&w 1911.

Flame Red
November 26, 2008, 10:42 AM
+1 for the 1911.

Marcus L.
November 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
Depending on which Glock model you have, you might be better off keeping the Glock. For most, it makes a better overall defensive pistol. Now if you are looking to buy a pistol in addition to your Glock, definately go with the S&W 1911.

HoosierQ
November 26, 2008, 11:52 AM
Don't get Desert Eagle. It is just not a practical firearm.

Rossshady120
November 26, 2008, 11:58 AM
save your self a couple hundred and get a Bersa. i am the youngest at ISPC and i have the cheapest gun but boy when i get up there and i start gettin alpha after alpha i laugh at the guys who spent 500-600 on a glock or XD.

SRT1
November 26, 2008, 12:06 PM
Depends. For pure fun and impressing friends - Desert Eagle. For any type of defensive work or carry - S&W. I've had Desert Eagles and I always end up trading them away after the initial fun and "shock and awe factor" is gone. Totally impractical for much besides having fun. The 1911 is a great weapon to have for many occasions from carry to home defense to just plain shooting fun.
Good luck in your decision!
SRT

MagnumDweeb
November 26, 2008, 12:17 PM
Sorry to ask this but by 'Pakistan' do you mean the country? I'm not aware of any city, town, or such being named Pakistan here in the U.S.. Oh and +1 on the S&W 1911 but if you can get it look at Rock Island, my uncle has two and is a total 1911 fiend and fell in love with them complaining about the purchases he made on Kimber and Colt. I personally like the RIA better and would get one if I wasn't a revolver fiend and stocking up on EBRs.

Olympus
November 26, 2008, 12:34 PM
+1 on the 1911. Though I'd go for something other than a S&W. Try some Kimbers!

crushbup
November 26, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'd imagine that the Desert Eagle would be difficult and expensive to feed; leagues more so than the S&W. If you plan on using it often, go for the 1911.

FoMoGo
November 26, 2008, 01:27 PM

Jim

reconNinja
November 26, 2008, 02:24 PM
If you are prone to bear attacks you may be more interested in the DE.

The Smith would be far more practical, though.

tomh1426
November 26, 2008, 02:27 PM
Id go with the 1911
Your talkin about the big Desert Eagle right?

politicaldookie
November 26, 2008, 04:42 PM
If you want something to look at and shoot as a novelty or for hunting then the DE is a fine choice. If this is a carry weapon or for home defense keep the Glock or go 1911. I have all three and when it comes to day to day carry I rely on my Glock 21. I sure as heck don't keep keep a .50 AE in my briefcase. The 1911 is always a fine choice but the only reason to get that would be for change...and with Obama as the leader of the world you already have that. :neener:

hemiram
November 26, 2008, 05:28 PM
I think he's talking about the Baby Eagle. I would take one over any 1911, but that's just my opinion.

Marcus L.
November 26, 2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I figured he was talking about the Desert Eagle. The Baby Eagle 9mm(also called the Jericho 9mm) would be a much better choice over the S&W 1911.

Provided that you can get ahold of soft point or hollow point ammunition, I would stick with 9mm outside of the United States.

I_AM_LEGEND
November 26, 2008, 06:11 PM
get the 1911, desert eagles are for looks and thats about it, they're not practical for anything but using for paperweights and maybe exploding watermelons. If you're looking for a gun for recreational use, home defense, a carry gun, target shooting, etc... the 1911 is tried and true and probably the most respected handgun of all time. The Desert Eagle is a show gun and good to blow money on expensive ammo and get a few "ohhs" and "awws" from teenagers at the local gun range. It looks cool, but you wouldn't want one in a gunfight, unlike in the movies, a deagle is probably one of the worst guns to use in a shootout....

doglb
November 26, 2008, 07:44 PM
I had the same idea in mind, except add a PTR-91 into the mix. Between the DE and 1911 I would definetly pick the 1911. For the price of the DE, add a couple extra mags at $46 per mag and a holster, you could pick up a very nice 1911-a Springfield Loaded Operator(example).

You get a better firearm, just as "bling" as a DE with better performance in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have a DE, but if you add all the options the 1911 just has more to offer.

Go with the 1911-:D:D
Regardless of make!!

zammyman
November 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
1911 all the way

BullpupBen
November 27, 2008, 10:32 PM

david_the_greek
November 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
if you are indeed out of country as you posted, I'm going to have to second the eagle, if in fact it's a baby eagle in 9mm. Definitely much more available round over seas. If you have consistent access to .45 ammunition, the 1911 is a good choice. S&W makes a great 1911. If you are state side.... 1911!

Line Rider
November 29, 2008, 05:05 PM
+1 Smith & Wesson 1911A1

weisse52
November 30, 2008, 01:22 AM
For what reason?

I like the 1911 and would most likely choose it first. But, for a toy, the DE would be fun to own.

Ala Dan
November 30, 2008, 04:17 AM
S&W 1911 all the way~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

hot_sauce
November 30, 2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry to ask this but by 'Pakistan' do you mean the country? I'm not aware of any city, town, or such being named Pakistan here in the U.S.. Oh and +1 on the S&W 1911 but if you can get it look at Rock Island, my uncle has two and is a total 1911 fiend and fell in love with them complaining about the purchases he made on Kimber and Colt. I personally like the RIA better and would get one if I wasn't a revolver fiend and stocking up on EBRs.

Yes, I live in Pakistan. Very near to the Afghan border.

Thanks for the advice guys, I still havent made up my mind.

I went to the shop again, and fired the two handguns this time, and I have to say, the 1911 felt very comfortable in comparison to the Desert Eagle. the DE was pretty darn heavy.

I also checked out the 9mm version of the DE known as Jericho, it seemed nice aswell.

I want a gun for self defense, and I dont want a handgun that is too heavy.

I guess im gona have to make a decision between the Jericho and the S&W 1911

Marcus L.
November 30, 2008, 12:18 PM
hot_sauce,

Can you get ahold of good hollow points? Brands like Federal, Speer, Winchester, or Remington? If so, I would recommend that you get the Jericho in 9mm. I've never been to Pakistan, but most locations outside the USA have better support for 9mm than they do .45acp. If you can only get ahold of full metal jacket ammo, then go with the S&W 1911.

hot_sauce
November 30, 2008, 12:38 PM
Yes, all that is available. Also full metal jacket ammo is not a problem either. Its in abundance lol. I am just a bit confused on which one to get

Marcus L.
November 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
The Jericho(as long as it is made by IMI) has a long record of reliability and good performance. S&W 1911s do not have such a record. I'd go with the Jericho.

MagnumDweeb
November 30, 2008, 06:48 PM
If you don't mind, please fill us in on your gun laws, conceal carry, open carry, those kinds of things. Us here in the U.S. are generally interested in learning on how other countries handle their gun control.

hot_sauce
December 4, 2008, 03:47 AM
Sure ^. Basically you can own ANY type of weapon here. By ANY type of weapon I mean it can be an automatic or whatever. AK-47, light machine guns, m16s, anything at all. As far as it is a gun lol RPGs are not allowed haha.

For starters, you have to get a Provincial Permit. All provinces have an open carry rule. You can be strapped, doesnt matter, as long as you have the permit.

The permit takes about a month or 2 to process, after that you can freely roam around with firearm in the respected Province.

The second class of license is called ALL PAKISTAN. Hard to obtain, not because it has diff. requirements, because the people who issue it are dirty money scumbags, so you have to bribe them to get the All Pakistan license, and you need to provide them with some solid reason why you need an All Pakistan.

If it is a pistol/revolver, you can carry it, fully loaded, and you can have as much ammo. as you want.

Automatic weapons, they have a diff. rule, which is changed every now and than, but mostly you cant carry more than 2 mags if your outside your house.

You can also import foreign weapons YOURSELF, by contacting a dealer outside the country YOURSELF.

The rules are, you cannot import automatic weapons, but you can import bolt actions, semis, and pistols/revolvers.

If you want to import an auto. than you have to buy it through the Ordnance factories, or you have to get one through an authorized dealer operating in Pakistan.

Actually you would be surprised that in this WHOLE little country of Pakistan, there is only "1" city that is disturbed by gun crimes, other than that, if someone wants to commit a murder, they do it with knifes, lol because with guns its easy to get caught.

Oh, and you cannot roam around with the automatic rifles, bolt action rifles, or even semi-auto rifles in the Capital city of Islamabad. The citizens of Islamabad, are allowed to keep it, with a license, but you cant roam around with it, it has to be inside your car, with the gun in the trunk, and the mags in the front dashboard.

Pistols, revolvers can be carried, in your car, the pistol should be on safety, and I think you can carry only 6 or 8 rounds.

NOTE : In the Capital city of Islamabad, only people with All Pakistan license are allowed to keep guns, there is no Federal Territory Permit for it, there used to be one, but they changed the laws now. So not alot of guns in that city, and all the dealers are govt. owned.

I hope I answered everything you wanted to know, if you want to know more, just let me know.

PakWaan
December 15, 2008, 11:24 AM
My S&W 1911PD (commander, scandium) is the finest gun I have ever owned. My Colt Gold Cup is now a safe queen.

Boba Fett
December 15, 2008, 11:57 AM
+1 for 1911 over Desert Eagle.

The DE is pretty much a novelty gun that gets used in movies because it looks bad. It is far from practical.

However, IMI's Jericho/Baby Desert Eagle is an excellent firearm. It is very accurate and comes in 9mm, 40S&W and 45 ACP. If I was having to choose between a 1911 and a Jericho in 45, I'd go with Jericho. Just make sure you get the steel frame and not the polymer.

Just a quick note, the Jericho gets used in a lot of movies too (http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Jericho_941), but you have to recognize it...unlike the DE which stands out like a sore thumb.

MT GUNNY
December 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
+1 S&W 1911, IMHO own one and am trying to acquire another:)

hot_sauce
December 27, 2008, 06:24 AM
thanks guys for the response guys :)

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 1911 or the Desert Eagle ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!