differences in dies labelling and such HELP...

PDA

R00KIE
November 26, 2008, 09:55 AM
I may not know anything. (apparently)
I am looking at these 7mm dies online to buy.
RCBS makes them

Whats the difference between these???

#1. 13601 - F L DIE SET 7MM REM MAG
#2. 13602 - NECK DIE SET 7MM REM MAG
#3. 34201 - F L DIE SET 7MM T/CU
#4. 34202- NECK DIE SET 7MM T/CU

I am guessing FL means full length???
what does T/CU mean?
And what does a neck die do?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "differences in dies labelling and such HELP..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
November 26, 2008, 10:01 AM
F L. Yes, full length

Neck die. Sizes only the neck

7MM TCU link (http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w7mmtcu.html)

There are a number of 7MM cartridges out there.

R00KIE
November 26, 2008, 10:11 AM
OH! That is a different caliber alltogether missed that! . . . you would think I had never shot anything before . . . ha ha ha ha I must STINK of Newb!

So for my reloading kit I will want FL dies then correct?
Or why would I want to only size the neck?

SASS#23149
November 26, 2008, 10:44 AM
most folks who shoot bolt action rifles just size the neck of the case IF it was originally fired in THEIR rifle,as the body is fire formed to that rifles' chamber.
less effort and less working of the brass.
lever guns and semi autos don't have as much camming action as a bolt gun does,so neck sized ammo can be harder to chamber.

R00KIE
November 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
So If I were reloading a 7mm then I want a neck die set.

But If I was loading 223 or 308 for my auto guns or my 30-30 I would want FL set

generally speaking is this correct?

mkl
November 26, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, that is correct.

If after several firings in your 7mm you find the bolt beginning to show some friction on closing, you will need a FL die to set the shoulder back .002" to .003". Then go back to neck sizing only.

rcmodel
November 26, 2008, 12:42 PM
Get the FL set.

I don't think "most folks" neck size only. "Most folks" reload with FL dies for everything they reload.

If you are loading for a hunting rifle especially, you want to full-length size in order to be sure ALL your ammo will fit in your rifle half-way up the side of a mountain in a snow storm!

If you load for utmost accuracy only, then neck-sizing might help. It will also extend the life of the brass somewhat.

If you later decide to play with neck sizing, all you need to do is back off the FL die a little until it only neck sizes. If you see any benefit, then you can buy a dedicated neck-sizing die if you want too.

rcmodel

Walkalong
November 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
If you later decide to play with neck sizing, all you need to do is back off the FL die a little until it only neck sizes. If you see any benefit, then you can buy a dedicated neck-sizing die if you want too.
+ 1 Start with the FL die set.

mkl
November 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who "neck sizes" with a full-length die.

I got beat up so bad over my terminology.

See: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=358591

I agree with rcmodel & walkalong; I'd buy the FL die first, and then go to the neck size only dedicated die if accuracy or brass life showed significant improvement with neck sizing only.

MMCSRET
November 26, 2008, 04:03 PM
I know only a few people who necksize only and they are extremely competitive shooters. Most people FL size and I being really PO'ed if a round won't chamber in that same snow storm on the same mountain use a small base FL die for my game rifles even though they are bolt guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "differences in dies labelling and such HELP..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!