Question about the difference between Political threads and Legal Threads

PDA

Lone_Gunman
November 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
I think there is some confusion on the part of the membership, moderators, or both on what is considered Politics, and what is considered Legal.

To me, now that the election is over, if we have a thread about Obama's anti-2A agenda, then it falls into the category of legal. I don't see how it is a political issue at this point. Obama is our president, and politics are now out of the equation. We now need to be able to discuss how to minimize his impact on 2nd Amendment Law. If we are discussing candidate A versus candidate B, then I agree that would be political. But why can't we discuss laws that Obama and other liberals want to create? How is that not Legal?

A specific thread I question is this one:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=408906

I just don't see the politics involved. Obama is president, and his website calls for a new LAW to be passed, specifically closing the gun show loop hole and renewing the AWB.

How is that possibly not a LEGAL issue?

I hope I don't get banned for raising this issue, I am really trying to understand, and not trying to be difficult. If we are here to discuss 2A issues, I don't see why this should be closed. Members get mad when their threads are closed and they don't understand why. That makes people less active in forums like these, and I think that ultimately hurts our cause.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about the difference between Political threads and Legal Threads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
November 26, 2008, 11:52 AM
Ok, so my thread got moved to die a quick painless death on the Tech support forum. I guess a moderator must have moved it, but how about some guidance also?

rbernie
November 26, 2008, 12:23 PM
I am not a mod, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. But my instinct tells me that the thread suffered from two faults:

1) It was highly redundant to all of the other bazillion threads all making the exact same point using the exact same words from the exact same (now altered) web site. It added no content, and simply fanned the same tired 'Oh, noes! He's gonna ban EVERYTHING' threads that have clogged GGD since November 8.

2) It was political because it did not address a specific question of law - it pointed to political position statements that have zero legal standing at this time. Had it discussed HR1022 - it would have been Legal. Had it discussed how to derail the efforts to implement the political policiy statements - it would have been Activism. Sadly, it was neither.

But that's just my worldview, and the mods will likely have a differing view.

Art Eatman
November 26, 2008, 06:58 PM
The way I look at it, the Legal forum is to discuss proposed or existing laws, and pending or adjudicated court cases--involving firearms.

Agendas as such should be discussed at Armed Polite Society.com, not here. If an agenda-driven bill about firearms is proposed in Congress (or any other level of political subdivision), it's appropriate for this website.

Lone_Gunman
November 26, 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Just to make sure I understand, though, what you are saying is we need to wait and let an anti-gun politician get elected, and then introduce an anti-gun law in Congress before we can discuss it here? Pretty much just deal with consequences, rather than prevention per se?

Art Eatman
November 26, 2008, 09:19 PM
Consider the Activism forum. If you know of an anti-gun candidate, and you have some rational plan to help defeat that person, lay it out in that forum. Same for a proposed law or regulation. Or, possibly for some amicus curiae effort if a court battle.

What we're trying to avoid is the rant/vent noise about a person's agenda. We wind up with post after post of essentially "+1" and "I hate him too!" junk.

Gunnerpalace
November 27, 2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, Oh, I think I get it,

We should be trying to stop the bill, not berating the people supporting it right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about the difference between Political threads and Legal Threads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!