upgrade worth the $???

PDA

speedracer81
November 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
I am currently using a lee classic turret with pro auto disk powder measure and saftey primer feed to load up my own 9mm and .45acp. I love loading my own ammo, but it is seriously cutting into my shooting time. I am considering ugrading to a lee loadmaster and was wondering if the knowledge pool had any insight. am I going to see a substantial increase in output? are there any accesories like shell colater or bullet feeder that will help also? thanks in advance for you replys.

If you enjoyed reading about "upgrade worth the $???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
November 26, 2008, 06:05 PM
The collator and case feeder are great!
The bullet feed sucks!

There are other progressives on the market. Look at the Hornady and RCBS progressives. Look at the Lee Pro1000. The Dillon market is much more expensive, but excellent equipment if you have the money.

Walkalong
November 26, 2008, 06:42 PM
Pretty much ditto, except I know nothing about Dillon except their great rep for customer service, as I have not used one. I have loaded on a Hornady progressive for over 20 years. A progressive is the way to go if you want to be able to load great ammo much more quickly. I do not try to set any land speed records on mine, I just make sure I am getting it right. It goes quickly all by its self.

I did own a Lee 3 hole turret for a short while before getting my progressive, and it worked just fine, but it is a big jump up in production capability going to a progressive, as well as giving you more powder measure options.

I went from a single stage RCBS to the Lee turret to the Hornady Projector. 1st gear, 2nd gear, overdrive.

ArchAngelCD
November 27, 2008, 01:01 AM
I can load 180-200 .38 Special rounds per hour on a 4 Hole Lee Classic Turret. For now that's good enough but I'm also thinking about upping the output in the future. Please let me know what you do since you are using the same press I now use. Your opinion with a new press against your old one will interest me...

speedracer81
November 27, 2008, 10:41 AM
will do archangel. thanks for everyone's input.

jpwilly
November 27, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yes especially for pistol calibers loading with a progressive would be much faster. If you shoot enough a progressive is the only way to go. For me the Classic Cast Turret press produces plenty of ammo for my needs a few hundres 45acp per month + .223 and 308 rifle calibers.

jfh
November 27, 2008, 01:10 PM
I own and use both a Lee "standard" turret (updated) and a Lee Load-Master.

On the turret, I can routinely load 180-200 rounds an hour for my pistol / .223 ammo.

On the load-master, once it properly set up and debugged , one can routinely load 400-600 rph of pistol ammo.

Load-Masters can be problematic--but since the advent of the youtube help videos and the loadmaster forum, those problems can be eliminated and the press runs fine.

ants' assessment is correct--the case feeder and collator are great, and the bullet feed is worthless. Even if you get the bullet feed operating flawlessly, the time spent loading it, etc., is more than the time one spends feeding bullets manually.

Personally, I also have set my turrets up for 5-dies--i.e., a universal decapper, and then a sizer (no decapper) die in station two to help align the cases for the priming. Others maintain you don't need to do this, and I found that is correct--but I have had better long-term running with the five-die configuration.

I don't hesitate to recommend the Load-Master--but, were I buying today, I would be probably be looking very hard at the LnL progressive.

Jim H.

shovel66
November 30, 2008, 11:22 AM
gun control: the belief that a woman raped and strangled with her own hose is morally superior to one who defends herself with a firearm.

Does this mean "panty hose?"

jfh
November 30, 2008, 12:39 PM
shovel66: Well, if you're old enough, you may recall that "hose" was a euphemisim for stockings before pantyhose were invented.

Jim H.

If you enjoyed reading about "upgrade worth the $???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!