SKS Gas Dissassembly Lever Problem

PDA

adelgado0723
November 26, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hello, I'm new to the site. I just bought a yugo sks, the type with launcher and I'm having a problem. The lever that you pull up to take out the gas tube gets stuck and won't let me close it when I try to lock it in place. Does this happen to anyone else? Help Please!

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Gas Dissassembly Lever Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esq_stu
November 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
Not sure I understand - you're trying to put the gas tube back on and when you do, you can't get the lever to go back down?

Domino
November 26, 2008, 07:12 PM
The gas tube lever can be tricky but, it probably isn't stuck.

Refer to this site to see if you are doing it right...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

benEzra
November 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
If I remember correctly, the gas tube lever has a little cam that rotates over the gas tube assembly when you push the lever down. If the gas tube isn't down far enough, the cam will hang up on the top edge of the gas tube.

Make sure the back of the gas tube assembly is pushed down absolutely as far as it will go, and then look closely at the rear of the assembly to see where its binding. A teeny bit of grease at the point it's sticking may help, or you may be able to get a small wooden dowel and a small hammer and tap the tube down a little further (disclaimer, if you do this be super careful to tap only on the solid metal at the rear of the tube assembly, letting only the dowel or whatever contact it, and use a soft clean wood or you may damage the finish).

If it is successfully camming out without hitting the gas tube, but sticks when the handle reaches the receiver, then that could be just an extra tight gas tube lever. If that's the case, you can force the lever down, but don't try forcing it unless you're absolutely sure that the cam isn't hanging up on the gas tube or else you could ding up the leading edge of the cam.

Limeyfellow
November 26, 2008, 11:07 PM
Mine is so tight I use the edge of a screwdriver to put it down. Of course it is still nothing compared to the difficulty of getting the trigger section back on to the rifle, that you can force on with a C clamp and thats about it.

Most SKS' are much easier than this however, but a few are stubborn.

adelgado0723
November 29, 2008, 02:19 AM
thank you, benEzra. i made sure that the gas tube assembly was down far enough and it slid back in place nicely!

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Gas Dissassembly Lever Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!