Help dating sig p220

PDA

chris208
November 27, 2008, 03:58 AM
can anyone help me with the production date of a SIG P220 serial G190XXX
(West Germany) thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Help dating sig p220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marcus L.
November 27, 2008, 09:19 AM
If your Sig is the older stamped slide made of carbon steel, look at bottom of the slide on the dust cover(the part just below the muzzle). There should be two letters. Likely the first letter will be an "K" followed by a second letter. Sigs made in W. Germany used these letters as a date code:

A=0
B=1
C=2
D=3
E=4
F=5
G=6
H=7
J=8
K=9

So, if the letters you have are "KC", then your Sig was made in 1992.

chris208
November 27, 2008, 01:15 PM
thank you, very helpful. production code "KC" = 1992
i also have a (newer) P226 (U.S assembly) without date codes, is there another way to date the newer models?

chris208
November 27, 2008, 01:19 PM
you said the West Germany models had a carbon steel slide, what are the differences between carbon steel vs. stainless steel? pros? cons?

Ala Dan
November 27, 2008, 01:27 PM
West German made SIG's with carbon (sheet metal) slides will seem to
be lighter, and more balanced; than its U.S. counterparts~~! ;) At
least they do for me. Thats why I own both a .45 ACP P220A and a
P228 9m/m, both from West Germany~! :D

chris208
November 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
are there any date code markings on the U.S made Sigs?

Marcus L.
November 27, 2008, 02:00 PM
I like the stainless machined slides much better. I just can't get over the additional maintenance needs of the older carbon steel slides. Rusting was a big problem for me while I was working on the east coast with my duty P228 not only from sweat but from sea spray. Since I moved to the P229 I haven't really had any problems. Also, the stamped carbon slides require that you replace the roll pins every 5000rds or so. If you don't, you can run into alignment problems from firing and dry firing without snap caps which is where you get the notorious frame cracking problem of the military trials in 1982.

Marcus L.
November 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
are there any date code markings on the U.S made Sigs?

No. Sig Arms(now called Sig Sauer), never used the old German codes. If you want to get the manufacturing date of a newer Sig then you need to contact Sig with your serial number. Most new Sigs have the manufacturing date printed on the case they come in.

christcorp
March 14, 2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info on the date. I have a P220 45acp that I bought around 1997-1999 (Can't quite remember). It came from a Sheriff I knew. Of course we had to go through a dealer being he is in law enforcement. This was his service weapon. He said he bought it new and basically only put about 1-2 boxes of ammo through it a year just for qualification. (Never had to shoot anyone). I never asked him the age of it or when he bought it. I saw a few of these threads on dating. When I bought it from him, he basically made a deal with the gun dealer to give him a few dollars to just process the paperwork. It cost me $225 for it. Probably the average cost in the late 90's. Even though an enthusiast friend of mine at the time said it was a great deal, and if I didn't buy it right then that he would.

It's a German Sig P220. Other than a little rubbing on the end of the slide from going in and out of the holster, it's in excellent condition. I love shooting it. So I looked on the bottom of the slide for the markings and it's "JK" Which would then mean 1989. Not bad. I think I like having it older than newer. It's not an antique by any means, but the nostalgia of it is nice. Thanks for listing the date codes.

CWL
March 14, 2009, 11:31 PM
I don't doubt the date coding, but since East & West Germany unified in 1990, why would 1992 SIG slides be marked W. Germany?

Wouldn't Sig have gone to "Made in Germany" by then?

evan price
March 16, 2009, 03:26 AM
If yours still wears the factory plastic grips, Sig molds the manufacture date into the inside of the grip panel. It looks like a series of numbers 1-12 arranged like a clock, with an arrow that points to the number of the month they were made in, in the center of the arrow is the last two numbers of the year they were made in.

Also, polymer-floor Sig mags (such as the 239) have the same date code imprinted into the bottom of the mag baseplate.

This may not be the absolute best way to date your gun- but it is free and Sig charges a not-small sum of $$ to research your date from the serial number.

Kind of Blued
March 16, 2009, 08:56 AM
Nobody made the "take it out to dinner & a movie on the first date, then the range on the second or third, once she starts to warm up to you" joke? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help dating sig p220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!