Oregon Laser Cast - how fast?

PDA

Quoheleth
November 27, 2008, 06:20 AM
How fast can I drive Oregon Laser Cast out of a .357? I think I read somewhere that they can handle pressures and speeds a little better than "regular" cast lead.

Any load suggestions for a heavy load with their 158SWC?

Thanks,
Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Oregon Laser Cast - how fast?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mavracer
November 27, 2008, 09:49 AM
I've used their plain base 255gr bullets in my 38/55 rifle at nearly 1600fps with no leading problem.

Ben Shepherd
November 27, 2008, 10:24 AM
I use their 158s as fast as 1800 out of my win 94's. That's about the limit. In the handguns running 1550 is no problem at all.

AgentAdam
November 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
So laser cast can be shot faster than copper plated bullets? What are the platted bullets limits?

qajaq59
November 28, 2008, 06:26 AM
I add gas checks to them and use the low end of a jacketed load in my 30-30. I get some leading but not too much.

243winxb
November 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
What are the platted bullets limits? How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads. We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp
Info is from Berry's and Rainier websites

Ben Shepherd
November 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
Plated will usually get in trouble above 1200. If you can, use a taper crimp die. Less risk of stripping the plating off. If that happens bad leading and horrible accuracy usually result.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oregon Laser Cast - how fast?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!