Would you buy a AK or AR for $3000 ?

PDA

lionking
November 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
just wondering?,would you?There isn't even a hint of real legislation passing yet,he hasn't even been sworn in yet but dealers and distributors have Colt AR up to 2k now,so if they did run a bill through no doubt dealers and distributors would bring up the price another 1k on top of that,but who would buy one for that?,I shake my head at those willing to pay 2k for one now.:scrutiny:

I won't name the dealer but here is one description for selling as item a dealer has on gunbroker right now.Hey go buy a house right now too!,IT IS SURE TO GO UP IN VALUE

NOTICE: THE NEW, PERMANENT BAN IS COMING....FAST!

H.B. HR1022 (Now active bill H.R. 6257), submitted by McCarthy of New York, now has many co-sponsors for the bill and is expected to march right through and become law shortly after the new President takes office. As expected, this ban will be permanent, and MUCH more severe than Clinton's ban ever dreamed of! When this ban inevitably becomes law, these weapons, and many others, will no longer be available...ever! GET 'EM WHILE YOU CAN!

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you buy a AK or AR for $3000 ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goldie
November 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
i wouldnt pay the 1500.00 average price of the pre ban colts in the last couple of years,but 3,000? no damn way. i had a chance to get a galil for 2700.00, but i just couldnt do it. i wouldnt line anyones pockets like that.ive got what i need; in 1983, i bought an hk91 new for 600.00,in '85 i paid 450 for an ar180,in 1987 i bought an hbar for 700,a robarm m96 a few years ago for 1000.im spoiled because of this,so these high prices are insane,& sickening,knowing what i bought back then.the most i spent was a springfield armory fal match,1600,in early '94,double the original 899 it was advertised for,& that was my limit,i wont do it again,especially for a common ar or ak.i hope no ban happens, & its all for nothing,but i think something will go down in the next year.......

kcmarine
November 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hey, let's make another thread that feeds the paranoia.

H2O MAN
November 27, 2008, 10:53 AM
The concerns are valid.

Z71
November 27, 2008, 11:00 AM
Oh yes, there are bills just waiting to be considered for passage in congress. One I'm aware of is basicaly a renewal of the 1994 assault rifle/hi-cap ban. Whether it gets brought out or not, I have no clue.

No, I would not pay super inflated prices for an AK or AR.

Lt. B
November 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
Im not sure what all the worry is about. So lets all go out and pay wildly high prices for something they are going to come and get? something we all are going to use in another civil war? I dont think so. I guess its all in where your head is at. I for one am not at all interested in AK's SKS's at any price. I can put meat on table without an AK. I know guys that have thousands of rounds of 762x39 and for what? whatcha gonna do? Take to the streets to overthrow an oppressive goernment? I dont think so. I mean what is ones thinking on this? Why do we all suddenly need one of these to pay the nutty prices for them. Im not buying and If I had one you could get it at those prices. Educate me. what are you thinking out there?

Corporal K
November 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
NOTICE: THE NEW, PERMANENT BAN IS COMING....FAST!

Folks, this is a lot of hype. The 2nd Amendment is ALWAYS under assault and spending $3,000 on a rifle isn't going to stop that. If you're actually considering paying that much, why in the world did you wait so long to get one?

IF sweeping gun bans pass, the Democrats will get clobbered in the mid-terms and they know this. Plus, banning certain types of guns or gun-features only appeals to a very small percentage of their left-wing base. Believe me, they know this well. Gun-rights attacks give incredible fuel to the Republican party and it is one area where vast numbers of Americans on all sides unite. Obama won 51% of the popular vote - hardly a landslide and I know several gun owners who voted for him. :mad:

The 1994 AWB was a farce but it cost the Dems dearly.

"I don't think there's a Second Amendment right to own a gun, but I think it's a loser political issue." - James Carville 2002

wacki
November 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
hk91 new for 600.00,in '85 i paid 450 for an ar180,in 1987 i bought an hbar for 700,a robarm m96 a few years ago for 1000

ugh... I'm so jealous. Why were they so cheap back then? Inflation, taxes,...?

lionking
November 27, 2008, 12:27 PM
Wacki,yes back *then* a real German made HK whatever model was around $700,so was a Belgian Fal,a IMI Galil was around 8 or $900.A Norinco AK was $300.Thanks to Bush senior those became *permanently* banned.

But all those listed above,other manufactures found a away to make copies,sometimes of equal quality.I remember the 94 ban real well,and a buying craze happened with that also but back then there was a different political climate,and there was real legislation actively going through DC with a bandwagon of politicians,media and Hollywood using propaganda to push it through.

Times have changed though,the AK and AR are the most common rifles seen at a range,the internet is everywhere now,the mainstream media doesn't have a monopoly on selling *truth* anymore.

We saw what speculators did on housing,what they did on gas prices,and they all said "it will never come back down to what is was".Two years latter people own a house they paid 300k for that won't sell for 200K,and may never ever sell for 300k again years from now.One month ago people were speculating fuel prices at $5 or $6 a gallon by the end of the year and in one month it drops in half in price.

Well I speculate that the speculators will be crowing over AR's dropping back to pre panic prices in just a few months.

MD_Willington
November 27, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hell no...

atblis
November 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
I won't buy an AR for $800, why would I buy one for $3000?

goldie
November 27, 2008, 01:28 PM
(wacki) would you believe that in the late 80's,hk raised their prices about 45%,& an hk91 was 900.00,up from the original 599.00,a 94 was about the same, & people had a stroke!it was a stupid bargain compared to now.in 1985 an hk 94 was 575.00, in the late 80s, a galil was 799.00,down from the original 1500.00. it actually dropped almost by half.the only guns at the time that were still expensive were the belguim fal's, about 2,000.00.& at that time it was equivilent to about 4500 now.if you use these old prices to compare the new prices of today, it is insane.........

Walkalong
November 27, 2008, 01:34 PM
Nope.

Broadbill
November 27, 2008, 01:41 PM
I saw a field report in one of the sporting magazines a couple of years ago that compared the semi AK to the winchester 94. Bottom line was that the AK really can't do anything that the 94 can't.
I would never pay that kind of money for a sheet metal gun.

Broadbill

atblis
November 27, 2008, 01:46 PM
30 round detachable mags: AK check 94 nope
Semi Auto: AK check 94 nope
Pointy bullets: AK check 94 nope
Piss off blissninnys: AK check 94 nope

wyocarp
November 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hey go buy a house right now too!,IT IS SURE TO GO UP IN VALUE

No way. BHO is determined to take away our guns but he is going to give everyone who doesn't work, money and a house that can't be taken away.

I saw a field report in one of the sporting magazines a couple of years ago that compared the semi AK to the winchester 94. Bottom line was that the AK really can't do anything that the 94 can't.
I would never pay that kind of money for a sheet metal gun.

And Glocks, when they fire, don't hit the broad side of a barn. :banghead:

Some of you are crazy. Ak's are pretty decent guns for about anything out to several hundred yards. I haven't always liked them. My son drug me over to look at them for years at gun shows and I didn't like them. Finally after buying a couple and shooting gophers and rabbits with them, I have a lot of respect for a gun that is reliable and does a good job of putting bullets where you want them to go.

This year won't end without seeing one less elk wondering around because of an ak.

ERock45
November 27, 2008, 01:57 PM
Save you money. Wait for prices to come down. $3000.00 can buy a nice Battle Rifle. Dedicated Sniper system..etc. wait tilyou get the most for your money, timing is everything. Buy wisely, not from emotion.

wyocarp
November 27, 2008, 02:09 PM
Of course the problem that most everyone is feeling is that there won't be a later.

Lt. B
November 27, 2008, 03:07 PM
Would you buy one if they were banned? Would you turn yours in if posession was ileagle??

heron
November 27, 2008, 03:10 PM
That's absurd. Just a few months back, I bought a Saiga .223 for $270. Not a thing wrong with it (once you get used to the trigger), and the factory certificate says that it was test-fired four rounds with a maximum spread of 93 mm -- that's about 3 1/2 MOA.

Just for the record, I think AR prices are already absurd.

aimbotter
November 27, 2008, 03:19 PM
no no

atblis
November 27, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't own any AKs or ARs or anything like that. I have nothing to turn in. ;)

taliv
November 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Would you buy one if they were banned? Would you turn yours in if posession was ileagle??
Last edited by Lt. B; Today at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

i'm at a loss for words.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illegal

for the rest of you... it's sort of like asking if you'd pay $18,000 for an MP5. no, i wouldn't pay that for one today, but ten years from now, $3k might seem cheap

CU74
November 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
In a word, NO.......

lionking
November 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
Another slogan in a ad on gunbroker for a Colt 6920."These rifles are selling for over $2000 at gun shows across the country!! The election is over and a new AW Ban is inevitable!! Buy now before the ban!!"

No thankyou, because a ban is not inevitable,what do you have a crystal ball?Bring back your prices of 6920 to $1300 and then I will buy one.Bring back prices of a Bushmaster to $900 and then I'll buy one.Bring back prices of a AK to close to pre panic levels and then I'll buy one.Until then my money stays with me,it won't go to a inflated scare tactic sale.LOL one seller has a buy now for $2500............

Im already seeing a drop on bidders to listed 6920.The average starting bid is close to $1800 now lol.Well like I said people sent a message that the media picked up on,hopefully it is heard by DC.

Some sellers on gunbroker are at least around $1500 for a 6920,more than what they had cost before the election but at least they are giving a shot at selling lower to see how it bids up or not.

benEzra
November 27, 2008, 09:40 PM
Bottom line was that the AK really can't do anything that the 94 can't.
Actually, I'd turn that around and say that an AK can do anything a Winchester 94 can, while at the same time being more robust and durable, allowing slightly faster followup shots, and offering you the flexibility and ease of reloading that comes with detachable magazines. And even with the recent price increases, 7.62x39mm is still cheaper to shoot than .30-30.

goldie
November 27, 2008, 09:41 PM
4 months ago you couldnt give away pre ban colts,& ar's were such a dime a dozen,too.now they are like precious metal.:barf:

rfurtkamp
November 27, 2008, 10:55 PM
The days of cheap military-style rifles have been coming to a close long before Obama ran for any public office.

Remember the $300 kit-built FAL? I do. I still have quite a few.

Remember the $39-79 parts kits for everything under the sun? Same thing.

Remember the $259 Romanian AK?

Or the $279 CETME thing?

Or the $600 PTR?

Or $800 Vector HKs or the $500 Vector Uzis?

The parts are drying up, the importation of things is now heavily restricted and the glory days of cheap fun guns are sadly over, no matter who might have won in November.

Buy what makes you happy. $500 extra a few years down the road isn't a big deal if it's something you still truly enjoy.

Buy based on what makes you happy, not on 'what will it cost tomorrow' or even today (assuming it's within your reasonable means).

Your regret over not having X or Y or Z when you could have at a price you *could* have afforded will cost more than a small markup now.

wyocarp
November 27, 2008, 11:08 PM
Buy what makes you happy. $500 extra a few years down the road isn't a big deal if it's something you still truly enjoy.

That is one of the best comments I've heard on here lately. People are spending a lot of time complaining about the prices right now but are forgetting that people are getting a product for their money and even if an ak or ar comes down in price in the next months or years, what difference will it really make. We can just buy another if we want or if it is legal at the time.

Answer to an earlier question, I might would buy an "illegal" gun. I will never turn in any gun that the government outlaws! That is a question that I have settled in my mind.

marsche
November 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
When all is said and done and there are thousands of unused AR 15's gathering dust in closets across America, there will be many bargains to be had.

smullen
November 28, 2008, 01:26 AM
And Glocks, when they fire, don't hit the broad side of a barn

Wow...

Painting with a Broad Brush are you????

A lot of times it more the shooter than the firearm shot...

mr.scott
November 28, 2008, 01:37 AM
While in the short term it is good for the biz and looks bad for the gun banners, it could work out better for them.
If the price of guns goes up more and more, like it is, you are going to be keeping a larger and larger group of people out of owning them because of the costs.
I've got what I need and will be spending my money on ammo for now. As it is, I refuse to pay more money on an AR or AK's. I have a RRA AR and I've had other ARs and I want more, but I am not willing to pay these outrageous prices now. I paid $900 for my RRA over a year ago, and now I see the same model going for $1600-$1800.

meef
November 28, 2008, 01:56 AM

Last edited by Lt. B; Today at 11:08 AM. Reason: Spelling :D :D

Keep trying.

Third time's likely to be the charm.

goldie
November 28, 2008, 10:59 AM
(marsche) that may very well be true; in the 70's when the dirty harry movie came out, there was a huge run on s & w 44 mags,meanwhile the average pinhead couldnt even handle it,fired it a few times & put it away & the thrill was over. There eventually became a lot for sale in gun shops,very much like the desert eagle in 50, which ive seen more of them in gun stores used than the 44 or 357..............

Thin Black Line
November 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
I would buy the gold-plated AK I saw in Iraq for $3k if it was legal to do so.
Other than that, no.

Art Eatman
November 28, 2008, 11:19 AM
This is more of a political thread than a THR thread. Take it to APS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you buy a AK or AR for $3000 ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!