wow, Designated Marksman in action

PDA

hak
November 25, 2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/marine-makes-insurgents-pay-the-price.html

If you enjoyed reading about "wow, Designated Marksman in action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
indoorsoccerfrea
November 25, 2008, 01:45 PM
hell yeah.

SSN Vet
November 25, 2008, 02:02 PM
training + courage = victory

Eyesac
November 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
Go team!

cat9x
November 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
Oooraaa

aimbotter
November 25, 2008, 02:40 PM
awesome...

hankdatank1362
November 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
“The biggest thing to take from that day is what Marines can accomplish when they’re given the opportunity to fight,” the sniper said. “A small group of Marines met a numerically superior force and embarrassed them in their own backyard. The insurgents told the townspeople that they were stronger than the Americans, and that day we showed them they were wrong.”

During the battle, the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machinegun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire. He selflessly exposed himself time and again to intense enemy fire during a critical point in the eight-hour battle for Shewan in order to kill any enemy combatants who attempted to engage or maneuver on the Marines in the kill zone. What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn’t miss any shots, despite the enemies’ rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position.

“I was in my own little world,” the young corporal said. “I wasn’t even aware of a lot of the rounds impacting near my position, because I was concentrating so hard on making sure my rounds were on target.”

Damn. God bless America, and her soldiers.

natescout
November 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
semper fi

kcmarine
November 25, 2008, 10:52 PM
One Two Three Four I love Marine Corps.

maddog1775
November 25, 2008, 11:40 PM
The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

jpwilly
November 26, 2008, 12:26 AM
One shot one kill! Good shooting Marine!

jaholder1971
November 26, 2008, 12:33 AM
Wonder which DMR platform he used, M14 or M16?

ShakyJake
November 26, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,
Really, except to us armchair types, it really does not matter. What it proves is that concentration, training, basics, and shot placement are still king. Train right, fight right. It is always great to see a report with no fatalities on our side.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
Boy that does a heart good! :)

mljdeckard
November 26, 2008, 01:43 PM
That's silver star material.

Thin Black Line
November 26, 2008, 03:29 PM
This is why Americans sleep all snug in their beds with visions of sugar plums
dancing in their heads.

expvideo
November 26, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hell yeah!

Coronach
November 26, 2008, 05:12 PM
This is why Americans sleep all snug in their beds with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads.While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, I have never once dreamed of a sugar plum.

Out*censored*standing, Marine!

Mike

ken22250
November 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
"we sleep soundy in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence in far off places"
ken

XavierBreath
November 27, 2008, 02:43 PM
The language used in this thread has resulted in it's closure until I can claen it up. Elation at the young Marine's accomplishment is not an excuse for circimvention of the language filter at The High Road. Sorry guys, try again.

That's silver star materialOne would hope. But as an enlisted man, a Bronze Star is more likely.

wcwhitey
November 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
It's hard work being that good! Makes me proud! Bill

ds92
November 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hell yeah! We need more men like that!

doncameron
November 27, 2008, 08:44 PM
Good job Marines!!

Mr.Revolverguy
November 27, 2008, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah get some brothers.

The more you sweat in piece the less you bleed in war.

Its all about training.

I miss my brothers.

praharin
November 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
great job brothers!

as to the platform, if they called it a dmr, it was probably the m14 base. that is what the dmr is. in the corps, the m16 based is called the sam-r

Thin Black Line
November 28, 2008, 11:11 AM
While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, I have never once dreamed of a sugar plum.

Guns and crates of ammo?

Geno
November 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
Someone give that man a box of cigars. :cool:

Coronach
November 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, I have never once dreamed of a sugar plum.Guns and crates of ammo?That's more like it. :)

Mike

innerpiece
November 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
congrats to the shooters!

JJ Hiryuu
November 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm a zoomie here. Gotta respect a Marine and his or her ability to make America's enemies wish they had not gotten up in the morning.

Good shooting!

General Geoff
November 28, 2008, 03:09 PM
The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

Quoted for Truth. Outstanding job on the DMR's part. :)

doc540
November 28, 2008, 03:18 PM
And the kid was so focused he wasn't aware of the stingers all around him.

GREAT JOB, Marine!

aquapong
November 28, 2008, 07:45 PM
Typically, the Medal of Honor is only given to soldiers who died in their action. There has been many examples of living Medal of Honor winners, but most were from WW2. That marksmen should certainly get a nice shiny pin of some type awarded to him.

FlyinBryan
November 28, 2008, 11:31 PM
stories like that make me glad the bad guys shoot ak47s.

minute of angle vs minute of barn door.

praharin
November 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
the ak is more capable than you give it credit for. this marine was obviously making good use of cover. there is also a general lack of training with the insurgents, which accounts for the lack of accuracy.

while i believe what this young corporal did was great, i dont think it is anything near MOH territory. he did his job, he did it well. for the MOH to keep its meaning, it needs to be only awarded to individuals who go far, far above and beyond.

farscott
November 29, 2008, 03:27 PM
Decorated or not, that man is a hero.

HeavenlySword
November 29, 2008, 08:09 PM
+1 praharin

Coronach
November 29, 2008, 08:43 PM
the ak is more capable than you give it credit for. this marine was obviously making good use of cover. there is also a general lack of training with the insurgents, which accounts for the lack of accuracy.A couple of things:

1. No, an AK is not as inaccurate as it is sometimes made out to be

2. In issue trim, it is still not a great weapon once you get beyond 1-200 yards.

3. "Issue trim" for these guys is decidedly worse than issue trim for the Red Army, or most of the USSR's client-states.

4. Training, as was mentioned, is often lacking. Especially training at beyond-contact range.

Mike

Archer
November 29, 2008, 10:49 PM
Regardless of the debate, I say that Marine deserves our thanks and high honors.

Proof that spray-and-pray does not stand up to precision fire is always satisfying to see.

Sox
November 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
"For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

-Shakespeare

kcmarine
November 30, 2008, 12:18 AM
A couple of things:

1. No, an AK is not as inaccurate as it is sometimes made out to be

2. In issue trim, it is still not a great weapon once you get beyond 1-200 yards.

3. "Issue trim" for these guys is decidedly worse than issue trim for the Red Army, or most of the USSR's client-states.

4. Training, as was mentioned, is often lacking. Especially training at beyond-contact range.

5. Battling against U.S. Marines is a pretty certain way to attain death.

Mike U.
November 30, 2008, 01:20 AM
While all Marines make me proud, this young corporal is an obvious standout. Surely Silver Star worthy, and IMO, CMH worthy as well. Time will tell which he receives.
Men like this make the Marine Corps the most feared organization of military men and women in the world.
Men like this become Marine Corps legends.
Men like this inspire future Marine Corps warriors to also standout.

SEMPER FI!

If you enjoyed reading about "wow, Designated Marksman in action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!